Toyota General
>daily driver edition

Sister Honda thread
Vids:

>user's SC400 Auto Xing
youtube.com/watch?v=bTuCah00p-U

>user's cammed Corolla
youtube.com/watch?v=c64OwkPQ8PI

Bump the thread if you see it at page 9.

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TY8ctFTLU2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=jm_kiRijfNo&
youtube.com/watch?v=YHqEs-wputY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>How do I join the montage?
See pic related

I was just looking for this, thanks user

I get my box back from the shop tomorrow, I've been driving a shitty rental Hyundai in the mean time and it's terribad. Can't wait.

Real talk.

Is it just not possible to have a decent factory sound system in an economy line vehicle? Sure, some mercedes and infiniti's have great factory stereos but we're talking about a 50k+ car. I've not heard great things about Toyota's Entune, which is JBL speakers.

No clue. My Corolla's a 98 and at least secondhand. We replaced the stereo but I have no idea whether the speakers are stock or not - I suppose one can replace the entire plastic interior door covering so there'd be no way to tell unless you opened it up.

All factory stereos are garbage, plain and simple. Even half a million dollar Ferrari's can have a better sound system for less than $5000 in aftermarket components. Your average consumer is completely content with having the "premium audio" package.

It'd be possible, good audio quality doesn't have to cost much. I'm pretty sure in most cases they're decent but since they're stock, owners think that it's bad anyways.

Just a friendly reminder that audio tech is a ton of snake oil to begin with.

Anyone know a quality brand of sound damping and insulation material available in Europe?

I was looking at Sound Deadener Showdown as that's the best there is (as of a scientifically relevant comparison), but shipping such heavy and bulky items across the pond gets expensive really fast.

Good Morning. sc fag here. Any of you change the transmission mount inside your car? My alignment is perfect and theres no damage to any of my suspension parts.

Not sure if dynamat is global but it works wonders of you can get your hands on it. Used it in our 77 firebird and it's actually really nice.

My dad had the fjcruiser with the fjammer stereo option and it was rad. So, yes I guess?

I forgot the name of it, but you should be able to find it if you google hard enough. There's some shit you can buy at hardware stores or off Amazon that apparently works just as well as dynamat. Look for "cheap dynamat alternatives" or something like that. It adds up in weight though.

Good stuff man

Get after market ones then

>tfw no classic celica to drop a 1UZ in

why live

Drop it in an FRS/GT86 instead faggot

No that's so much more money

can I use this photo in place of my other photo in the collage? the first SW20 from the bottom

Yes of course. That's how you update it. 91 MR2

Serious post

I just recently became employed and will be able to afford a fun car, would buying a Paseo and putting a nice 4AGE in it be a fun idea?

Yea it's fun but it's more fun rwd. This is coming from someone with a fwd and rwd car

youtube.com/watch?v=TY8ctFTLU2Q

holy shit user. I thought I was the only one who knew of this hidden gem.
anyways, I've got one myself and those things are super fun (lighter than Miata). I'd swap an MR2 5SFE or 3SGTE depending on the budget, they're both better and newer engines

>actually playing SEB in a drift event
The memes real

Finally fixed, really happy with the work the shop did. Before and after.

>pic related

Looking a lot better, glad it all worked out.

There's not a whole lot of options for a light RWD body though

I'll have a look at what halfcuts I can get, I'd go 1MZ But fitting everything would be a hassle

Still looks like shit...

Hey guys just barely purchased it. What's the major foundation of a tune up? What is it? What can I improve its lifespan and not fuck up the car. Planning to keep it. Any website or beginner places to know what to be aware and how to fix it?

Just change oil and keep your fluids on the good and it'll literally outlast you. Most generic Toyota or Lexus forums will have a large amount of information

>Paseo
>Hidden gem

Having owned one boy howdee are you wrong.

1.) The rear disc brake swap for the paseo is an utter pain in the ass an most parts are NLA
2.) Suspension options are NLA or chinesium
3.) It literally has a steel beam as the rear axle
4.) The distributor system is horrendous and likes to shit itself and not tell the ECU the correct RPM of the motor so your injectors lean out and you ruin the block
5.) It's slow, really slow. Even though the car sits at a 2000lb curb weight it still takes 10 seconds to reach 0-60
6.) The 4EFTE swap makes the car slightly less slow but still slow and costs a prohibitive amount of money to source and swap.
7.) Stock motor cannot handle boost at all
8.) Fabbing up custom mounts to fit whatever stupid engine you want to put into it is a ton of work for a chassis that really isn't all that solid. Not to mention there's very little room to work with as it is
9.) Parts are fairly expensive because most are NLA at this point so on a lot of things you're going $$$ or sketchy and used. You don't see a ton of Paseos at a junkyard and there were quite a few differences between Tercels and Paseos between the years so a lot of stuff isn't interchangeable
10.) Extremely rust prone making an already flimsy chassis more flimsy.

Picture is what you want if you want beater-tier light weight FWD performance. Far better aftermarket, far better chassis, far better suspension.

But please go buy one and prove me wrong it's not like I literally owned one for years.

Oh yeah and I forgot the whole "it burns a ton of oil" thing. It's pretty well documented the 5EFE burns oil, especially after 20 years.

You know now that I think about it actually the fucking 9th gen corolla is genuinely a better car in every way than the paseo.

thanks, looking at getting the hood repainted now because its a mess

p-pls no bully

basically this Try club lexus, they have sub forums for each model/generation, the lexus subreddit can also be helpful

Whats a nice Toyota for a students first car?

Any camry/corolla/scion from 2000+ basically. Look at your local market and see whats out there. Scions are usually pretty cheap and overlooked because normies don't really know what they are so they can be pretty cheap

bought my sister a late 80's v6 Camry with a perfect interior, no cel, clean title, and a smog pass sheet for $650. It's lasted thousands of miles without any work besides a fresh battery. It's a great car. Look for real cheap ex-auction cars on craigslist

Check the owners manual and there should be a list of maintenance things to do and intervals

Corolla

Should I get a 2017 Hilux?

Why not?

I heard some friends saying that it failed in some tests and I don't know much about cars...

It would appear that winter has killed my AFM and is slowly killing my starter along with it. it's that or a boost leak, but this is the only thing I could find to indicate as such.
The car is fine on the freeway, but pretty much can't idle or slow down. Any ideas?

Get some duct tape and some silicon glue on that. See if fixed, maybe even clear any codes that may have appeared.

I'll try that tomorrow.
The boost gauge seems to indicate that I'm hitting the same boost levels I was when the car was fine, but I've been told the stock unit isn't totally trustworthy.

LEL MOOSE TEST

>XDDD
Toyota never ever

sc400 guy checking in.

>tfw the rc is uglier

Hey, Honda General guy.
I just wanted to stop by and say thanks again for continuing this series. I guess I'm one if you guys now.

If I wanna add my car to the montage, does the picture need to be a certain size, or will whoever is adding it edit it down to the needed size?

No prob man

It doesn't have to be a certain size. I'll let you know the ratio is 4x2 though. Only real requirement is it has to be in color

Alright, sounds good. I'll post my proof pic after this.

(2016 FRS)

Proofs

Dammit phone...

Thanks forthe contribution user

So one of my turbos just broke on my JZZ30 Soarer
Would a CT12A A turbo from a 4Runner be a suitable replacement? They're the exact same turbo, I'm just worried it might have different flanges etc. I've found one for dirt cheap, in perfect condition.

I might just go for an MR2 Senpai

Awesome looking car m8

You guys are cool; it's nice coming home from retail hell and seeing new cars posted. Have a great holiday friendos.

>tfw sick since last Friday
Feels like shit desu

Any mr2 owners here?
I might buy a cheap 1-2k sw20 and build it up to be a dd.
I know engines can be had for cheap, I know the tube from hell is cheap but obnoxious fix. I know timing belts. I know rust.

Is there anything else that is a money pit?

I just want an mr2 since there's a free racetrack right next to my parents house.

getting a 1-2k sw20 means you're getting an NA chassis. Yes the turbo engine (3rd gen 3SGTE is the best) can be had for a grand, BUT you should get the turbo tranny, brakes, calipers, axles, exhaust, intercooler stuff etc etc so expect to spend 3-5k actually swapping. The car itself isn't a more of money pit than any other project so things should be normal . After considering the condition, price to buy parts and swapping, it's probably a better idea to buy the stock turbo car and save yourself time, money, and headaches

Thanks.
I was considering getting an NA one since it's a good starter platform to learn the quirks of the car before slapping the massive turbo on it.

I won't mind having to waste 5k on upgrading the car, as it is my dream car. Don't see myself selling it as long as there's a racetrack nearby.

Thanks for bringing out the extra costs, I didn't consider brakes axles or trannys.
I thought the stock tranny could handle the power.

you definitely could use the stock tranny but it won't last long.
I do recommend getting an NA as a starter platform if you don't mind spending and swapping, it's what I did when I was 16. I've gotten good enough to where I can hold a drift in my sw20 and lemme tell ya, it is the most rewarding car I've ever driven (and I've had lots and lots of time with WRXs and Miatas).

Best experience ever.

which one?

Either SW20 or Spyder, I can't find an AW11 in Australia

I picked this up a few days for an insane price. Very clean and 115k miles. Any semi reasonable upgrades I can do it with out breaking the bank? I enjoy modding and working on cars but this will be my first time with a Celica.

Any late 90s tercel owners here. The car may be nothing special but it sure is bullet proof.

Mines a 98 manual
bare bones asf

Is 90s LS400 a good car? I kind of like the idea of a nice comfy car with a V8.

How much did you get it for?
Get new wheels asap

We only have a 1990 Tercel that I know of

Yes

is it the GT-S with a 2ZZ? if not then swap

as the owner of a 5th 5sfe celica gt, I can definitely say you will not have as uch fun with the 7th as you would a 90s/80s model. And this comes with a little bit of factory rice

>How much did you get it for?
$1k
GT model
It's a 2005. I got such a good deal on it, I decided to make it into a little side project.

Isn't the gt different to the gts

My two babies. Bought the sc400 last week, been having so much fun with it. Will post proof tomorrow if I remember.

>tfw have a supra and civic
You seem like a cool guy

Merry Christmas Veeky Forums!
My supra decided to work perfectly today, so I guess that's it's gift to me.

Merry Christmas to you too mayne

Merry Christmas, guys.

I love you user

You too user

How are sw20's in terms of reliability?
Looking at a 180k km(round 100,000 miles) model that's rust free.

sorry 280 k km, aka 170k miles

Non turbos are great. for the most part parts are easy they're from other toyotas and bolt right in.
Turbos are a different story

KEK

Does toy make a better 1.6 than the 4agze 20v?

no.
>tfw only have 16 valves

Something for my Toyota Br/o/s

youtube.com/watch?v=jm_kiRijfNo&

and especially for my SC/Soarer br/o/s

youtube.com/watch?v=YHqEs-wputY

But Toyota never made a supercharged 20V?

Sup gents.

Who manages that cover picture thing? Wouldn't mind becoming a regular participant of these generals.

I always cry when look at JZX100.

Picked up an LS400 last week, damn I love it.

First auto I've ever driven in 10 years.

Couple of bubbles at the arches to fix, and the dashboard is slow to light up in the cold mornings (~5 mins) but I can live with that.

Now just to get the LPG conversion since petrol is too fucking expensive in the UK.