Hear squeaking noise that stops when I brake and also stops as I continue driving a few minutes later

>hear squeaking noise that stops when I brake and also stops as I continue driving a few minutes later
>now waiting at the shop
>brake pads need replacing and the rotors
>quoted me $475
>he said we really only need the front brake pads replaced
>$175

Did I just get fucked? Do people replace their brake pads by themselves?

Other urls found in this thread:

rockauto.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dude you just got fucked big time

The squeezing was probably caused by your caliper or rotor brushing in your brake pad or something and when you braked the squeaking stopped for what ever reason

Brakes and rotors are simple things that you can do your self it's an easy self maintenance thing anyone can do with a few wrenches and a screw driver

Fuck!

I am now reading their shitty car magazines.

I said yes because I do have a 14 hour drive and don't want to take chances. Can't have this shit breaking in the middle of nowhere with no cell service.

>me $475
Sometimes I wonder if they do this just to see if someone actually pays it.

I told him to fuck paying $475 so now I'm spending $175

Just to replace the front ones

Yea but you didn't really have a problem to begin with your car would have lasted until you got home

Better safe than sorry I guess

>until you got home
And then what? You think driveways act like Pokemon Centers for cars where they magically heal themselves?

Probably
>$20 Brake pads
>$155 Labor

He could do his brakes and rotors himself in his own driveway or at least he'd be in his home town where he could know someone who could do it or a local mechanic he knows

He got taken advantage of easily

Yes and yes.

Then you fix it yourself of course. Are you retarded?

It was obnoxiously squealing when I drive it, which gets me looks from the citizenry and robs me of my dignity.

I hope not, those brake pads he brought in looks thick af none of that duralast gold shit.

I'm not going to home town, it's a road trip. And idk anyone back there anyways

Ask him the brand or to see the box then look it up.
>Shops get a pretty nice discount and usually charge highest retail price for the parts

>It was obnoxiously squealing when I drive it, which gets me looks from the citizenry and robs me of my dignity.
So you were insecure about a brake squeak who cares my car squeaks too doesn't mean there's a problem

Do you know what bad rotors and brakes look like? If you know when you need brakes or rotors you can judge for yourself how grave your initial situation is, do preventative maintenance and stop things like this from happening

Did your squeaking start before you left home on this road trip?

Did this board lose its goddamn mind? WTF are you going to risk your life for shitty, chain store bought brakes (eats rotors, super low MOT, squeal, glaze over super easy, dust a lot and they don't deposit well and evenly on the rotor)

People in the Internet are fucked in the head. Or 14.

rockauto.com/

look up make and model, brakes and rotors m8. Add about $50 for jack and stands and tools. Thats what you would have spent with about an hour and a half worth of work and a pair of grimy hands.

Are toy saying people who change their own brakes at home are retarded?

You're on the wrong board I bet you don't do your own oil change either

If he knows and can do all that he won't be asking this question top kek

I'm saying if you are an average dude who knows average shit about cars (not a lot) I won't take things like brakes to chance. I'm just saying dude.

Brakes usually don't just "go out" squealing can be a number of things like the back of the pads not having brake quiet on them.

Shops will try to scare you with "Sir those brake pads are at 5%" or some bullshit when in reality they are perfectly safe for the time being while you order the parts to DIY it.

OP here

The thing is the squealing comes and goes. Like wtf?

My brake pads alone cost me over $500 and I fitted them myself
Cars aren't cheap.

This.

Yeah you fucking retard! You should definitely trust a Laotian Image board for your car needs and flip off the professionals. It's not like it could get you killed or anyone else for that matter.

I spent less than a hundred bucks for four rotors and brakes front and back and I havent noticed anything wrong with them. I think you just may be one of those faggots that think spending an extra 50%+ somehow makes things better.

Do they squeal when you first start driving?

I put some pads on a car that claimed to be quiet but squeal like a motherfucker when they are cold.

Yeah and then as I drive some more (and when I brake) the squealing stops.

I'm a retarded flipper baby and I did my pads and rotors OP you have no excuse

I'm imploring him to learn what to do in the future

If the braking is not degraded there is likely no problem.

>Applying some anti squeal compound on the back of the pads and sliding surface might help mitigate the sound problem.

You're a fucking retard

Well he just showed me my pads and he new pads... The top metal part of mine is thin.

It brakes ok tho

You probably had some time before you needed replacements. At least you didn't get taken for $475.

how thin are we talking?

Brakes are like the eraser on the end of a pencil was the pad completely gone or did you have some left on it?

Hey you didn't know, and it cost you a little money to have a pro do it. So what.

If you have the time and the inclination, you can do it yourself next time. It's not quite as easy as everyone says but youtube will probably have a tutorial for your exact car.
Most likely though your brake pads just needed some squeak stopper applied to the backs, if squeaking was the only symptom and there's still some meat on the pads.

Ride it till you die amirite?

you drag your brake pedal too much, which is why you only need front brakes. if you drag the front brake you will slow down easier, or less suddenly, but it wears your brakes unevenly. if you prefer to prevent this, brake with more power (50%) pedal travel minimum so your car engages the rear brakes, some cars you can feel the rear drag so you can notice this. this is not recommended when it is wet or snowy out, I'm sure you can imagine why. or when somebody is following you very closely, if theyre a little behind they see your brake lights so its nbd.

a good hint for rotors is that if you can fit a quarter inside the lip that the rotor creates, you need to replace them. check yourself on your own rotors.

I was wrong. He did all 4 for $175.

Pic related my old pads.

Yea disregard what I said before about how thin they were

That definitely needs replacing

>he did all 4 for 175

Well shit that's way better than 475 for all 4

Not totally worn out, they could have gotten you by for a while. $175 for two sets of brake pads installed isn't the end of the world.

Well he didn't replace rhe rotors

Parts Master he says

Never heard of that brand before. They may not be of the utmost quality.

>Probably not the exact brake pads for your car but you get the idea

You need to be certified to carry/sell those.

>hear squeaking when braking
>going in for service soon anyway, ask them to look at it
>"yeah they're only halfway gone bro you're good"
What the fuck?

Squeaks are not indicative of a problem (usually)

Not for 14 hour driving, he won't. He'd be at the side of the road.

>certified crazy

Evidently not.
>Not like most of the brake pads aren't made by a few company's and private labeled
>Box of wagners I was sent by mistake are made by federal mogul

I'm sure they will be fine for a daily driver
>Just saying its like >$30 parts and the rest labor

Labor is like $109

It's so fucking easy to replace. I don't understand why people go to the break places they are so stupid expensive and try their best to rip you off. I replaced break pads and a rotor on the rear of my car for 60ish bucks and 45 minutes of work.

Thats not too bad. Those did need replacing. Worked out better than expected op.

Wut?

shops make money selling you the pads and rotors

its there number one money making thing

also getting the rotors is useless since most people and shops wont heat break em in and you'll get that pulsing sensation under hard braking

My front brakes used to make a swishing noise occasionally. Noticed it was happening after lots of stop and go driving with a hard brake or two from a retard pulling out infront of me and ended pretty quickly. Turns out the lower clip that spreads the pads away from the rotor was missing, as I was heating the rotor up it was was expanding and making every so slightly contact with the pad. A shop would have charged me 400 dollars to fix this. I ended up replacing all 4 sets of pads and rotors, including buying every tool, jack, and jackstands needed, for a little under that.

So yes, you got fucked.

4th gen eclipse?

Mechanics and dealerships are the biggest Jews

That price is pretty standard for pads and rotors depending on the car. I just did an inspection on an audi A8L this past week that needed front and rear. A single front rotor is $400. $475 for a brake job really isn't terrible depending on the car.

Not bad at all OP

I mean, I guess with labor $175 isn't horrible. You could do it yourself cheaper. $17 for a cheap set of front pads, $70 for 2 new front rotors, a couple more bucks for some lubricant.

OP. Get the Haynes manual for your car then watch a few videos of people of people changing the same model. Set aside a few hours on a weekend to work on it as your first time will be probably frustrating and thing go wrong. After your first set, youll get the feeling of it and have no fear changing them.

remember dont get upsold at autoparts stores. does your shitbox REALLY need those teflontitanium triple ceramic plates?