Do affiliate marketing websites actually make okay money...

Do affiliate marketing websites actually make okay money? You know like writing a small overview or review of an item and linking a page to buy it from Amazon? I don't expect that sort of site to make a lot of money but in January my grace period for my student loans will run out, but I don't have a job right now. I'm a programmer / web developer, I've already made the basic design of it already but is it possible to make about $150 + server costs per month? It'll hold me over tell I can find the right job.

>inb4 suck dick

Other urls found in this thread:

ahrefs.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's possible to make $150+ a day with AM. My personal high score was just short of $500. No ad spend either, pure spam, all profit.

Will you make $150 month though? Probably not at the start, unless you take some advanced courses from someone who knows their shit. It takes most people several months, if not years, to reach numbers worth talking about.

I see, well if I work at it maybe eventually I can make it. I have a couple ideas for marketing, like having a bot that would keep up social media stuff for the site for me. I think I can have decent seo also.. I think its worth trying.

there's IFTTT and things like buffer.com to automate posting on social sites. could save you time vs writing a bot.

but my all means go for it. you will make a profit so long as you stay consistent. all your efforts are compounded.

most people give up early. my friend wanted to get into affiliate marketing. i set him up with a blog which he wrote several articles for. then i told him to start promoting on social sites since it's free/minimal effort.
he did it for 2 days, didn't see any profit, and gave up. don't be like him.
a week later he ended up getting an order which made him a $20 commission. but it didn't motivate him to keep going. he's back to smoking weed and playing video games all day. oh well.

Isn't it easier to just market your own service or search for clients online? you know webdesign, charge $500-1k for a website. All you need is 1 client per month

I'm a programmer so re-inventing the wheel is my hobby, plus its a learning experience. Writing articles shouldn't be to bad, I'm thinking I'll write them ahead of time and set them to show at a certain day or time. Its minimal effort so whatever I get I'll be happy. Thanks for the advice.

I'll probably do something like this anyways, I just like the idea of it not taking up to much time. I don't have a lot of experiences to show in a portfolio so I've been holding myself back.

affiliate marketing vs webdesign for clients are two opposite sides of the spectrum
one gives you freedom to do whatever you want without answering to anyone.
one gives you deadlines and obligations. most clients are dicks in my experience.
but if you're skilled it won't take much time to create a sales page and figure out where to find customers.

Portfolio doesn't really matter, you just need to convince that you can do better job than 99% amateurs around the world and it's done.

Edit some templates, make them look great, modern, and all that stuff for best results make your examples in the same category as the clients you will be searching

Don't overthink, just search for clients. you will be surprised how easy it is.

I never had any problems with clients, maybe once but It turns out if you price yourself low, you WILL get shitty clients.

Find normal people who know what they want, make sure you can deliver, make it clear and you will be good.

Are you in US? How much do you invoice clients? Any recurring fee's or do you just bill yearly for domain/hosting part of it?

$2500 to $10,000 for a site
$1000 a year for "maintenance" (changing copyright date in footer)
$350 an hour for any other changes.

I usually crank out 3 to 5 sites a week.

Nice. Guess you were right about charging too low. Most of my clients were headaches due to their penny picking nature. They didn't value my time so I stopped bothering trying to grab more jobs. Any advice for where to prospect for jobs?

How complex are these sites? Just 4-5 static pages, or more complex sites with ecommerce integration and lots of databases to maintain?

It sounds to me he uses existing CMS's. If you do that its important to know what you can and cannot do.

Probably 4-5 static pages on a wordpress template. Unless it's an ecommerce site. most biz owners don't need much.

I have a Minecraft channel with around half a million to a million views, I did set an affiliate g2a link on my channel description, header, and video description. Not a single fucking sale after 3 months. It seems like a waste of time, I make around 200 bucks a month.
I did no SEO at all, just set keywords and shit.

I have no fucking idea how people make "$150" a day without moving insane amounts of traffic or finding somehow a super high paying niche. I feel like everything has already been done.

>he's back to smoking weed and playing video games all day. oh well.
Some people make 5 figures a month doing just that. It fucking sucks.

I wish I was a nerd. I have no idea about how to make a website, let alone scripts and bots and all that weird shit, which btw sounds like will eventually get you banned and all your effort will be set back to 0.

Are you talking SEO affiliate or PPC affiliate?

I'm trying to learn more about how to gauge the difficulty of ranking a site in the #1 spot. I know to get contextual backlinks but there has to be more because I've seen #1 spots with very few links.

Most people on here seem to do PPC but if anyone does SEO affiliate marketing I'd love to pick your brain

>I have no fucking idea how people make "$150" a day without moving insane amounts of traffic or finding somehow a super high paying niche.

I think they are just lying.

>Are you talking SEO affiliate or PPC affiliate?
Neither. I'm talking bout the filthy spam affiliate.

>I'm trying to learn more about how to gauge the difficulty of ranking a site in the #1 spot.
Analyze them with ahrefs.com/

It just takes an amount of traffic. Internet money is all about traffic. No traffic means no money. Insane amount depends on your definition of insane. Is it 2k or 20k?

I agree ahrefs is awesome but do you think literally just building more backlinks will be enough to outrank? ahrefs is amazing for backlinks but only decent at other stuff

I'm also wondering when you say 'spam affiliate' what the hell are you talking about? Do you earn through social media or something?

what's a spam affiliate?

I just made a thread about internet marketing please visit it and teach me some things.

>

>what's a spam affiliate?
you promote your link by spam rather than seo/ppc. just be sure your affiliate manager is okay with it. if it converts to sales on their end, they usually don't care.
a friend of mine made it onto vice news for spamming one website much. it's crazy.

I never take on a contract that will take longer than a full day to complete. I also include that if the client is difficult to work with (literally any reason) I drop them and the 50% deposit is non-refundable.

At the first objection I remind them that they hired me to build them something and that I'm not their employee. I also ask them for 2 reasons why I shouldn't stop right now, take the deposit, and tell my network never to work with them.

They're hoes and you absolutely need to adopt the pimp mentality when working with them.

Started with canvasing small businesses and charging ~$1,000 a day. If they didn't take me up on it I'd tell them that they're free to look around for someone else. They usually would, and a week later I'd get a call back from them asking for the service. I ask them if they've shopped around and they always say "you seem like the best option for our business." I thank them for the compliment and inform them that the rate has since doubled. "uhm last time we spoke you presented it at $1,000." "That was last week, starting this week I increased my pricing to $2,000." "but-" "you want it or not?"

Sometimes they'd take it, sometimes they didn't. I didn't care since there's so many fucking people to work with. I really don't have the patience to haggle with people who don't even know the market price of the service they're trying to purchase.

make sure to include the non-refundable deposit clause in all of your contracts. Also that you're not responsible for any fuck ups on your end spoken in techno babble.

The amount of money I've made because people didn't read the contract carefully is hilarious. Don't worry about the clients that give you a hard time. 19/20 times they're small fries that don't have a shot of keeping the lights on longer than a year anyways.

thanks a lot for that write up. i'll take your advice and apply it to my technique.

>19/20 times they're small fries that don't have a shot of keeping the lights on longer than a year anyways.
funny ratio. 19/20 of my clients default on their hosting bill and are nowhere to be seen a year later too. i don't bother bringing up doing marketing for them ever because they have such a hard time paying my time, forget about an upsell.

keep in mind that a contract that can be voided by one party for any reason or no reason isn't a legal contract (it's not legally binding to either party).

so while user may or may not do the things he says, nothing he's doing would stand up in court if someone decided to sue him for his bullshit.

>inb4 user claims to have been sued and won
talk to a lawyer, they know more than Veeky Forums.

don't think it matters. i worked for a guy who's been in business for 10 years. all his contracts let him terminate a client if he felt like it, usually because they were difficult. and he did so. it was a scare tactic to get most people to act in line. he even pulled it on some jewish clown. nothing bad ever happened.

yeah, most people are shy of going to court, specially small businesses.

I'd just hand the contract off to my insurance people and ask them to take care of it for me. I expect the legal costs alone would bankrupt the guy.

yeah most likely. the guy ended up ruining himself. he was really crazy, i'm glad i got out of working for him.
he was jewish, so cheating people was his top priority. he was great at sales but just had bad ethics and morals about the industry.
last i heard he was arrested for trying to kill his wife with an axe while high because she wouldn't let him see his children. Lol.

I can sympathize with the axe and the wife thing.
You're right though, people that try to cheat everyone usually fail in the long run.

This.
Having a strict set of ground rules laid out ensures you don't get fucked later on. Filters out the shit.