Medieval Armors

Can we have a thread about medieval armors?

Gothic armor best armor.

Although 15th century transitional is a close second.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4ldx0231RdI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgonet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbute
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armet
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I meant of course early 15th century.

Although I gotta admit, my current favorite helmet has to be the mid 15th century sallet/kettle hat hybrid. Combined with a bevor or mail.

1) Whats with the claw-like extensions at the toes and fingers? I have never seen those before.

2) The waist is looking awfully out of proportion: it strikes as having female corset dimensions.

The toes are just a fashion thing, they were generally taken off before battle.
The fingers dont have claws, the suit in the picture just doesn't have gloves.

It looks out of proportion because the faulds intentionally flare out at the hips, which makes look like the waist is pinched.

That looks neat, I personally prefer the sallet.

It looks less bulky and crude.

This one was much better, sleeker, and more intimidating.

The fingers are just hanging freely bacuase the mannequin doesn't have fingers. The pointy sabatons are part of the fashion of the period. The more important you were as a person, the longer sabatons you had. The armor was anyway always used on horseback so the sabatons weren't even a limiting factor.

Also part of the fashion was thin waists on both men and women and the armor also reflects that. I think it really fits to the image of a "beautyful knight".

Sallets are cool, but I just love the crude intimidating look of that kind of kettle helms, esspesially with a mail "bevor".

I'm not that into the greek or roman pre-medieval weapons and armor but I gotta admit, I like that one.

There is something incredibly phallic about the top of that helmet. But yes, I wish Corinthian-style helmets had been used by medieval knights.

They probably did that on purpose

>But yes, I wish Corinthian-style helmets had been used by medieval knights.
That's what barbutes are though (not really medieval I'll admit).

Greeks purposedly putting dicks and dick-like stuff everywere...? Not a chance...

> barbutes
> not medieval

litterally what?

They're pretty late medieval, depending on your take on when the medieval era ends, they might be more modern than medieval.

Don't have pic, but simpler japanese armor sets are fairly close to modern plates
>MUH HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG

And this is why I am a fan of IOTV style armor.

>I don't know how armor design works: The post

>the sabatons weren't even a limiting factor
Not to mention that armour was often quite modular and many of such components that primarily served the purpose of being fashionable could be easily detached.

Most breastplates covered as much, despite what neckbeards and their "common sense" would say about it.

>how armor design works, the post
>get a bigger gun

We've reached a point where that really isn't an option. Unless you're willing to haul around .50bmg or 12x7mm, you can no longer be certain you will defeat an opponents armor with your first hit.

False equivalence. The ancients had shields to help with the lack. Medieval armor would include defenses for the lower torso as well.

Wow liver on the lower left, who is this crazy person !?

>2) The waist is looking awfully out of proportion: it strikes as having female corset dimensions.

the waist is exactly in proportion, because it is the aesthetic which the armourer attempted to create. It was intended as much as a symbol of power, as a protective garment - and as such, shaping moves the lines to emphasise the idealised body proportions of fashion - the high waist, narrow in proportion to the hips. There's even accounts from the 15th century poking fun at some of the older soldiers, knights who were struggling to fit into armour of that shape, but desperate to do so to look good, even when it was impairing breathing.

>butted mail

>etching on 14th C harnesses.

No. Just no.

that's like putting rails and a reflex scope on a 1890's Mauser.

What's the pattern on the edge of the mail called? Dagged? Crenellated?

Late Chinese ones are even closer.

While most models are brigandine, some are literal plate carriers.

Veeky Forums as fuck

Sexy af
t. not even a polandboo

>The ancients had shields to help with the lack. Medieval armor would include defenses for the lower torso as well.
So where is the false equivalency? You didn't say anything to disprove my points. In fact you expanded on the info.

What do you think is the most aesthetic century from European armor? 13th for me because I love surcoat.

>So where is the false equivalency?
Modern combatants have no defense for the lower torso at all. Pre modern combatants usually did, making it far less of an issue.

16th century, by far

the slow decline of plate led to some of the most interesting designs

Good thing we live in the modern age with access to an abundance of material typings and variation. Explain to a man of the past what graphene is and he'll be like ," Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur!" And then try and kill you or something.

Anyone recognizes the four helmets on the second row from right to left?

>Medieval armor would include defenses for the lower torso as well.
That happened much before that.

Bottom right 2 look like eastern euro, middle I think was Italian, Papal State.

False.

second is in turkish style from 16th century ottoman period, picture related

How did armor evolve? Is there a good video on this history with visual examples?

Bottom row:
Rightmost two: Lobster Pot, with varying faceguards.
Center: Pretty sure its fictional,
Center-left: Could be seen as a fictional version of a late Roman helmet. Basically a nasal helmet with added neck and cheekguards
Left: Close helm

Where and when and by who? If you research more you will find out what and extremely broad question you're asking. Read up on askhistorians, watch videos by Knight Errant and Schola Gladiatoria

Mate, high heels were a male fashion that women started copying.

Fashion changes, rather radically in fact.

Europeans I guess. Just to see how armor evolved in parallel in say England, France, Itsly, and Germany.

Very simplified, shortened history of medieval western European armor:
11th Century: Mail armor is the most common form of armor in noble circles, the Spangenhelm is pretty much ubiquitous.
12th Century: The trend goes towards wearing greater quantities of mail, with knights being basically covered in the stuff. Towards the end of the century full on faceguards appear on (knights') helmets.
13th Century: The coat of plates marks the beginnings of plate armour. Knightly helmets become ever more heavy duty, resulting in the great helm. The kettle hat appears.
14th Century: Plate armour spreads to more and more areas of the body. Armor and helmet pieces are increasingly are made out of fewer, larger plates. Bascinets appear in many varieties, with them, hinged visors and stuff are introduced.
15th Century: Plate armour becomes increasingly diverse and sophisticated. At this point it becomes too hard to really say what happened in a simplified way.

As for how armour varied regionally, it's hard to put on simple terms. All those cultures in western Europe intermingled a lot and adopted each others' designs. One thing that I think should be pointed out is that English armour differentiated itself from continental armour quite a bit because it was designed more for use on foot, as English knights were more inclined to fight as infantry.

Thanks man. That's a great start for me

just the filename i was hoping for

How does armor designed to be on foot differ from mounted armor?

They talk about some of the details of English armor here:
youtube.com/watch?v=4ldx0231RdI

It''s phallic for a functional reason, the enlarged top portion is meant to allow more space between the wearer and the outside to prevent eventual blunt hits from stunning or hurting the wearer.

Also, more air for the head meant more comfort and longer periods of time wearing it.

Yeah... but it's not like they put any effort into NOT making it look like a dick.

This user is right about the first two but then goes full retard.

The centre helmet is basically a burgonet with an odd neck guard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgonet

Second from left is a stylised barbute with a lobstered tail.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbute

The furthest left is just a generic armet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armet

Not really that into armours, but the main problem I see with this helmet is that it's designed to deflect swings and slashes to the face, downwards. What if I were to stab at the face, standing from a position to his right (assuming I'm right handed)? Wouldn't it direct my stab right into the eye?

The shape is made so that it deflects stabs to the sides. Also the ridges around the eyes are meant to stop stabs from sliding into eyes. Of course they arent 100% sureproof but helmets have always had to make compromises between visibility and protection.

it would be harder with the rings around the eyeholes preventing anything from sliding inside

>Gothic armor best armor.
Is it pic related? What century was it most prominent?

They were greeks too.

Yes. It was popular through out 15th and 16th century in Germany.

Very nice. Anyone know which Italian state this is from?

Not sure on that specific armor but it strongly resebles the Churburg armors, minus the brigandine.

Beat this.

But who would win between a samurai and a medieval knight?

This.

I got a collection of photos. Can I post them ? They're not all gothic or maximilian though

Here's one

Another one. Don't really knwo if it is "maximilian" that one but its german

Imagine seeing this thing on the battlefield it must have been absolutely horrifying.

>it must have been absolutely horrifying.
for both sides, because they can easily get scared

Well I think I'll post the most I can anyway then

Why do you think Alexander's army was reluctant of crossing the huge flooding Ganges to fight an army of 80,000 horsemen, 200,000 footmen, 8,000 chariots, and 6,000 armored fighting elephants.

Rajputana armor.

Detail

>da_by_hokunin
>Mortal Kombat
What.

they wre drugged with opiates to go full khorne.

for you

I always like lamellar armor.

suite
Its too bad they don't have any eastern types of armor in the museums around me. I like it

Can we also post weapons btw ? got a shitton of those too