Thinking of picking up one of these shitboxes. What am I in for?

thinking of picking up one of these shitboxes. What am I in for?

a reliable comfy luxobarge sedan with no aftermarket support to speak of.

what said really
it's a great car, great for dailying, great power (300hp) and more comfortable than most modern vehicles. The only mods that you'll really be able to do is a few suspension mods and a few minor engine mods. Only comes in automatic too. Not too bad on gas (21mpg average) for a v8. Perfect commuter desu.

Just make sure that it was well maintained. People often presume "reliable" means "neglectable" when it comes to those cars and fixing one that has problems can get expensive.

COMFY
AS
FUCK

Nice wallet.

it has manual mode? what gen is it?

It's almost universally considered to be a good car for what it is. Pick up a well-maintained one and it will get you from point A to point B in comfort without ever breaking. It's the pinnacle of the car that is used as an appliance. It's not fun to drive or fast, but if it's just a commuter they're perfect desu.

Just got it a few months back. One owner 55k miles car all records.

Yeah. It's one of those stupid flappy shifters. It is handy for merging or anywhere else you want to get moving fast. The 4.3l V8 is a beast hiding behind a Lexus transmission that tries to keep it from letting you feel the motor. Drop it down a few cogs and hold a gear, and that motor will come to life .

Well i just bought the car. What consists of a engine tune up? I'm trying to keep it lasting forever. Plus I hear a LOUD creek/noise like a screech old horro movie door prop every time I press the brake and move the steering wheel around trying to park or move or whatever. PLS HELP

How much did you guys pay for your mafia cruisers? I am afraid that going cheap will get me with a complete lemon that i will end up hating.

What's the year and mileage?

2000 & 129,xxx

Could be bad ball joints, they make lots of noise when the wheel is turned near each sides lock. The screeching from the brakes can be worn rotors.

The car was maintained and came with records of it right?

Bad ball joints? Ok I'll keep that in mind. But how do I know it's nothing major like a power steering leak or my power steering pump fucked up? What are the symptoms and noises?

if its more of a whine it could be a bad power steering pump

If it sounds like a whale might be calling you from the engine bay, there's usually a problem with the power steering.

Also, The PS pump is right above the alternator. If it is a leak and it goes unnoticed, it'll take it out with it.

Any tips or recommendations what I can do before this fucks up my alternator :/

How much did you pay? I've been looking around my area but they around$10,000 and it seems pricy for a car that came out in 2000

Timing belt + Interference engine bugaloo

Comfort. Ride isn't as immensely soft as you would think but maybe that's Michigan roads for me.

>Tfw too scared to stick a new radio innit for a USB.

>The 4.3l V8 is a beast hiding behind a Lexus transmission that tries to keep it from letting you feel the motor. Drop it down a few cogs and hold a gear, and that motor will come to life .

nah mate, i own an '06, just put it in etc power mode. holds a gear just fine if you that way :^)

>I've been looking around my area but they around$10,000 and it seems pricy for a car that came out in 2000
>How much did you guys pay for your mafia cruisers?

models to look out for:

'97-00 LS400: last refresh of the LS400, don't pay over $6k for any example

''01-03 LS430: first iteration of the LS430, 5 speed auto, no major issues to speak of besides power tilt/telescoping steering wheel going bad above 100k. uglier than the refresh. pay $7-8k max.

'04-06 LS430: second iteration of the LS430, 6 speed auto, see above. better looking than the first iteration (updated front end, LED taillights).

$10k is a reasonable price to pay for an example under 100k with a new timing belt. any LS430 you buy will need a new belt/water pump if it has not had one done regardless of the miles, because the service interval is 90k/9 years. if the car you're looking at hasn't had the belt done, expect to pay $750+ for parts/labor.

on all models, avoid the ultra luxury package with height adjustable air suspension that typically fails past 100k and either need expensive replacement or a retrofit. this image will show you how to identify and avoid the UL package. UL package vehicles all have the sport/norm and height/norm adjustments, whereas LS430s with regular suspension do not have these buttons at all. these are located on the center console in front of the shifter.