AMGs - Why are they so worthless?

I don't get it. Are they bad cars? Why do they get hit in the balls with depreciation so much worse than every other sports car brand?

You have 2003 BMW M3 CSLs worth $80,000, and yet every C-class AMG is worth dongs.
You have 1987 Audi Sport Quattros at $475,000, and yet Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMGs just waste away in junkyards.

The only AMGs that depreciate the least (they don't even hold their value) are the SLS. Even the Black Series' turn into bargain-bin mobiles.

Did AMG ruin over extend their brand image? Is that why they are worthless?

Other urls found in this thread:

bringatrailer.com/2016/12/13/spectacular-1991-mercedes-benz-sec-6-0-amg/
classicandperformancecar.com/mercedes-benz/190e/5149/mercedes-190e-2-5-16-evo-2-sells-for-record-292-500
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're comparing a CSL to a run of the mill AMG?
Look at the black series for proper comparison

They're for tasteless Turkroaches & Arabs

For me, it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra McChicken sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.

One time I asked for McChicken sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly McDonald's worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".

Now the staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three packets. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald's restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I'm in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.

I even dip my fries in McChicken sauce, it's delicious! What a great restaurant.

They aren't competitive vehicles. They are all engine, a factory version of shoving a 5.4 SVT engine in your Foxbody.

The main reasons why they depreciate so badly is because the MSRP is way too high when they're new, they're not reliable, and they are expensive to repair when they do break down. But that is German cars in general. That's okay for a clientele that buys new and gets rid of it before 100k or even 50k miles. And as you said, brand dilution killed the uniqueness when there are seven different trims of the same car across a range of some 15+ models.

I once knew a guy who flips cars and he said that MB usually give him the best profit margins because he would find one from the 2000s that doesn't run for 4-figures and fix whatever issue it had (usually electrical) and sell it for ~$30k or more.
He remarked on learning to work on newer Mercedes (and German cars in general) turned out to be very lucrative as MB owners would come to him with a problem and he would either fix it for large sum or offer to buy it and then fix it for him to sell.

at least they still make cars worthy of the AMG badge
meanwhile at BMW

meanwhile a fwd biased awd shitbox hatch

and this piece of shit
at least the X6M is fast in comparison to this

>560 SEC AMG
>Looks that could kill
>Bigass V8
>211K
bringatrailer.com/2016/12/13/spectacular-1991-mercedes-benz-sec-6-0-amg/
CSL's are expensive simply by rarity, so they compare pretty well to Black Series AMG's. AMG had little to no motorsport history themselves in the late 80's - Mercedes did. Look at Evo 2 prices for example (roughly 360K USD):
classicandperformancecar.com/mercedes-benz/190e/5149/mercedes-190e-2-5-16-evo-2-sells-for-record-292-500

The A45 is pretty much best of it's class though, that at least has some merits. Mercedes making a transverse FWD hatch dominate like that is kinda like BMW moving away from boxer twins, making a proper inline 4 bike (S1000), and spanking the entire industry's butt while doing so.

You can pick up a regular E46 M3 for 15,000 canuck bux

Parked beside one of these things and didn't know what it was

>381hp
>2.0L

Holy compression batman

>>>/Yelp/

There's no such thing as McChicken sauce

I really hope this is a marketer not a shit post. You really know your audience. Now I want trendies.

Because slapping AMG/M on every vehicle devalues the badge.

>I don't get it. Are they bad cars?
they are pretty much great luxury cars with ruined suspension, and unnecessary engine tuning.

basically everything the average Mercedes customer doesn't want.

>Why do they get hit in the balls with depreciation so much worse than every other sports car brand?
probably because they are exclusively leased by Brown guys who drive like retards, and never do maintenance

They're status symbols that get leased and returned. Nobody really wants to be seen in a 10 year old AMG, it looks tacky as fuck. Most people aren't willing to pay the ridiculous maintenance bills after they hit 5 years.

Here's the reason behind AMG depreciation.

Mercedes is a luxury image brand. People who buy a new Mercedes are doing it with the image and prestige in mind just as much as the ride quality and amenities. These people "upgrade" to the new model every year or two. That's the first depreciation hit. The second the car leaves warranty the next depreciation hit occurs. AMG Mercedes maintenance is extremely expensive, and repairs are even more expensive. The higher up you go in the tiers, the higher the cost. An AMG GT or SLR will cost you nearly as much as an exotic Italian car when you bring it in for service, and it will require only slightly less of it. People who buy a secondhand AMG quickly find this out, resale suffers.

>brown people

lol, jealous racist

wow its like the OP of this thread just talked straight out of his ass so blatantly

its not even worth my time to discuss this with him

CLK DTM is $300k
CLK Black is $80k

>itt people who have never owned an M or an AMG

>grapefruit sculpin

disgusting meme beer enjoyed exclusively by dilettantes and poseurs

AMGs are so fucking rare where I live, literally 0 for sale so I can't say much about it depreciation.

>shoving a 5.4 SVT engine in your Foxbody.
sounds breddy neat

>The A45 is pretty much best of it's class though, that at least has some merits. Mercedes making a transverse FWD hatch dominate like that is kinda like BMW moving away from boxer twins, making a proper inline 4 bike (S1000), and spanking the entire industry's butt while doing so.

Have you heard of the BMW M2?

>The A45 is pretty much best of it's class though, that at least has some merits. Mercedes making a transverse FWD hatch dominate like that is kinda like BMW moving away from boxer twins, making a proper inline 4 bike (S1000), and spanking the entire industry's butt while doing so.

Have you heard of the M2?

T H I C C

>Have you heard of the M2?
Yes, it's a RWD fun-mobile, not an AWD (so not the same class). Similar budgets, but wildly different approaches to performance and driver engagement.