It gets better. It always gets better. Thank you Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums.

I've been gone a while, thinking some things out. I'm back, with a bit of a tale and in need of some help.

Some might remember me as the one who started the 'Toyota General' threads, which the kind fellow over at 'Honda General' continued. A bit of an ironic twist, actually.

Anyways, I wrecked my Echo, and I was feeling depressed for a bit. I had to get myself out of this rut, so I bought another car with what
little cash I have. It feels like a million pounds has been lifted of my chest, and the damn civic doesn't even run properly.

I bought a 2001 civic coupe, with a very clean body, and an engine more anemic than my asthmatic, obese cousin.

I don't know why, but having this shitty, non-running car in my life has made me happy. And I don't know why. It's nice.

As for the help, it's got a few issues, the major one being the idle. When you start it up, it will go to 1k RPM, slowly climb to 2k rpm, then the CEL will flash for a second, and it will drop to 1k RPM and do it all over again. Eventually, the tach will drop to 0, the CEL will be solid, but the engine will still idle. It needs a flex pipe gasket and had the starter replaced, if it might be relevant.

What's the cel code

Right? It's always nice having a shitbox to work on. I can't really help you with your issue (maybe something with your idle valve? if you can read the code you should), but I can give you a funny little anecdote.

I work at my local tim hortons doing the night shift shit, and a few nights ago I saw a couple in an argument that was pretty loud. Kinda got the gist that they were breaking up, didn't really listen too close, kinda phased in and out. The big part I heard was the girl saying something along the lines of "The only time you are really happy is when you're working on your car, or when you're driving me around." Kinda had a chuckle at that, and a few minutes later the guy said to the girl, "I can't do this anymore. You're like a 10mm bolt, while I'm a 3/8" socket."

Anyway, just have fun with it. I know I love wrenching my shitbox, even if I exhaust a new thesaurus of cuss words every time I do a new project. Having a car is pretty much always better than not, even if your car is a piece of shit.

Haven't got the code checker yet, doing that tomorrow. The radio says error 7, if that helps.
The idle air control valve is my main suspect, I'll clean it out in the morning. It's always nice to see other Canadians here, too. I'm used to piece-of-shit cars, I'm just getting overexcited that it might not be a piece of shit if I'm done.

I had a problem somewhat similar to this on my 04 Volvo S60. Tach would be dancing like crazy, since I don't have a IAC valve (computer manages that), I took off my throttle body and it was gunked to shit. Got some carb cleaner and toothbrush and the problem went away. It was throwing a CEL for me too. Forgot my password for my code reader app so didn't end up clearing it. But ya. Check that ou obv while you're at your valve.

>I'll clean it out in the morning
Sounds good. Cleaning the IAC valve fixed the wild idle in my bmw shitbox, maybe it'll fix yours too. Otherwise if that doesn't work, maybe try blasting your MAF with some MAF cleaner. Ideally it'd be best to know the code before trying all these things, but if you can't wait until you get the reader then it doesn't really hurt to try.

>I'm just getting overexcited that it might not be a piece of shit if I'm done
Trust me, once a piece of shit, always a piece of shit. Even if other peoples perception of your car might be quite positive, you'll never get that image of your car being a shitbox out of your head. But, embrace it. I love my shitbox, even through all the trouble it gave me through the last year of owning it.

I've seen "tim hortons café & bake shop" down south of the border.

Getting a flashing CEL is always fun. Try cleaning out the idle air control valve and TB, that would still be cable so you've got one. Check the plugs, air filter, all of the usual suspects.

Where at in Canadia are you? I've got a scanner in Mississauga if you need a hand. Kind of bored right now and cant sleep lol.

Impromptu 'saugacity meet boys? What area you around

Hurontario and Eglinton area

I kinda have the same problem in a 1997 civic sedan I bought recently. It slowly goes up to 2k then falls back down, but nothing lights up. Also if I pump my brakes while parked the revs seem to increase also. I tested this on a friend's 98 coup and pumping the breaks seem to increase the rev too. Anyone know what might cause this?

MAF never occurred to me, I'll check it out as well as the throttle body.
Mississauga is a bit if a travel away, I'm in Nova Scotia, the slums of Canada.

when you pump the brakes you're "using" the vacuum that's in the intake manifold. Having the idle reacting (usually increasing) is totally normal.

For a 97 civic, try cleaning your idle air control valve and adjust your fast idle thermo valve. 2k seems a little excessive for cold idle.

D17's were still speed density. No MAF sensor, goes strictly off ECT/TPS and MAP.

is the car 5 speed or AT, does it have cruise? I recall those IACV's are heated and require a weird gasket when you pull them off.

The car's 5 speed, I wouldn't have bought it if it were automatic. It would be one more thing I would have to do. I'll check around about the idle air control valve gasket, thanks.

You're Canadian? If you're from bc we can toegay sometime. AW11 vs Civic coupe

Never mind, you're from ontario. ;-;

Not from Ontario, even further.

We live on opposite sides of the country, but I'll be there to tandem with you in spirit, user.

I've always wanted an MR-2...

I think flashing CEL is for a misfire. good luck to you OP

Kys, blogposting tripfaggot. We don't care, this belongs in the honda general that you mentioned in your OP.

Thanks, it's not flashing steadily, either just solid, or when it hits 2k idling.
I don't usually use the name, bit if it helps you get off I'll do it more.

Idle control valve for sure.

Every shitbox I've ever owned with retarded idle issues has been due to that fucking thing.

Break out your ohmmeter and check the throttle position sensor.

Will do, thanks
I'll see if I can get a gasket for it, then rip it off and clean it. Thanks.

I'll have pictures of the car up in the next little while

Just disconnect your battery over night. You'll lose your radio presets but CEL will be reset!

Battery's dead, I don't think that will be a problem.

A little bit of work and a jump start, and it moves! My shit car runs, it's all downhill from here.

Pics very soon I promise.

rad. don't stop making Toyota general threads plz. I like the formatting and the discussion is good.

Don't worry, the Honda General guy is making them now.

I forgot the pictures today, so here's the keys the leather fob from the Echo's key survived the accident, so it's right back on.

As promised, merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas some more!

And even more!

>no vtec
:l

>Some might remember me as the one who started the 'Toyota General' threads,

But that's me.

I distinctly remember starting them. The first image was a sideways look at a Toyota badge, titled 'why the fuck not' edition. I started it as a joke, capitalizing on the abundance of 'general' threads.

Also, tripcode because I feel like cancer now.

>vtec
Did you just assume my valvetrain?

Where do you toegay here? Assuming you're in lower mainland?

There's quite a few back roads around here, plenty of spots.

No proxy, no police, no problem. Might as well just post my address to make it easier.

You know what? I'm gonna be an annoying fuck for one more post tonight.

At Christmas dinner, family was asking about the car, and I was told my most probable cause would be a vacuum leak, whatever that is.
I'm assuming it's a leak in the intake? They told me to use a propane torch to find it, so I'll get at that tomorrow.

Uhh...

Thank you?

How do you know what an intake manifold is but have no clue what a vacuum leak could be.

Propane is a good way to find vacuum leaks, if you're cheap and don't want to buy a torch a spray bottle filled with water will work ok