/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, enter Control+Q when you're done so the game is saved for others.

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v0508
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-23-december-2016
steamcommunity.com/games/333640/announcements/detail/282996938559898242
pastebin.com/s0Rk8FmT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ummm...?? Where is the tummies in pic?

New IVAN release
- vampires and vampirism
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v0508

DCSS Trunk updates 23 Dec
- Ogre changes
- heal/tele/haste wand removal
- hill giants removal
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-23-december-2016

Caves of Qud update
- relic items
- factions
- procedural history
steamcommunity.com/games/333640/announcements/detail/282996938559898242

That is /rlg/ circa 2014.

Also, there is a very yummy tummy in the back corner.

>- hill giants removal
and two-headed ogres buffed. Overall, not a terrible change, since it never made sense that 2H ogres were only *slightly* more dangerous than regular ogres.

Under the Santa's hat.

should i just reroll if i get a acid draconian?? it looks like the skill sucks

hm so I got warned for getting into an off topic argument last thread.

I'm actually really happy about this, because it means we may have some German secret police janitor to kill the tumposters and various other intentional shitposters who delude themselves into thinking those posts are somehow beloved.

Also, apparently I made a mistake in trying to get silpresents in MPA sil because he, guess what? REMOVED THEM. I don't even have regular Sil compiled. Thanks Grinch.

post sil christmas gifts

>he's doing it for free
>he doesn't have a real job
>he's """"""""working"""""""" even during Christmas

>he's on Veeky Forums during christmas too
>and shitposting instead of being friendly to your NEET brothers

>heal/tele/haste wand removal
literally what is the point of evocations then

Which do you prefer?

Having an orgasm or ascending in a roguelike?

They weren't affected by evocations.

I love christmas

my question still stands

Prior, but with someone i like..

Ascending always feels empty. The excitement always lies in the struggle and it's just a flat 'eh' feeling after you win.

I can't figure out how to open this wrapped present, using / doesn't seem to do anything. I did start with pic related on the tile next to me, not sure if it was insane chance or another present or what.

I still have 'a finely wrapped present' that I can't figure out how to interact with.

Have you tried a high power rod of shadows? I bet you don't

drop it from your inventory, stand on top of it, and hit o

I did, nothing happened
Somebody elsewhere suggested maybe it just started open because this is the 25th, and that Wyrmbane may not be able to spawn on d1 anyways, so it's probably the present.

reminder that the #1 use for orc scouts is to be chased towards secret doors that you know must be there so they open them for you because you failed your search x20 and unlike pcb sil won't let you try to bash a door tile that your character still thinks was a wall

>not doing both at the same time
um?

Merry Christmas /rlg/

Sincerely, /poeg/

I probably should have made Christmas presents in PCBR.
Oh well. Maybe next year.

Okay, Caves of Qud's most recent update is really fucking neat.

All memes aside Qud is a pretty cool game

Pic unrelated

Ok..

Inquisitivewreck sounds like the name of a dorf fort fort :^)

just hit n

something something FREE XP

Free xp, ty game, more ood's please

DUDE

Just hold Tab and hope.

I wish they would just be bold and delete evoc/wands, only have evocable rings/cloaks etc. with a fixed fail rate

Then bring in a more balanced set of rods, and tie them to associated spell schools

none of this pussy inch by inch removal and being replaced by nothing stuff

Acid drac has amazingly strong breath attack. Very few monsters in the game have acid resistance
only drac color worthy of reroll is black

And enough for today, i knew it this shit would have happened, i fucking knew it

the point of evocations is the same as the point of evo before those wands were removed, since it didn't have anything to do with them anyways

KoFi or KoAs of YuGiOh?

as is a lot shittier with blowguns being nerfed

you might want to kogl instead of fi, idk

if i upgrade evocations does it increase the damage of draconian breath?

>down in the rogue thread "wan wan wan"
>it's an /rlg/ momiji shitpost song
>straight past the captcha with a bag of memes
>to quell all the neckbeards' autist screams

Hmm, yeah, I'm going Gl, I don't need the shield and those nets might come in handy.

>since it didn't have anything to do with them anyways

you still haven't learned your lesson huh

KoAr of yugi

I would, but I want this to be a melee character. I can get lots of Evo for cheap anyways, so the 3 won't help.

But KoAr is a melee char..

Merry Xmas everyone!

I used the pastebins of this general like a year or two ago and discovered some amazingly fun games, brogue and dungeon crawl stone soup

I'm in the mood for some roguelike gameplay again, any ideea what other roguelike I could easily play with only 1 hand (i mean purely keyboard on my laptop), like brogue? Am I just unaware that most of the games in the pastebin have hotkeys or something, or are there some that demand mouse usage?

Also, is there any roguelike out there that aint focused on defeating enemies? Space station 13 comes to mind, even if its not a roguelike but a multiplayer game, I'd really love to discover a unique game where youre not killing goblins. Am I just gonna have to settle for some roguelikes set in post-acopaliptic worlds or sci-fi if I want a change of pace from fantasy?

the majority of roguelikes can be played with just the keyboard. heck, the first roguelikes were designed for terminals that didn't even *have* mice

gotcha, thanks, I probably just forgot about playing stone soup using only keyboard

>Also, is there any roguelike out there that aint focused on defeating enemies?
DDA and Unreal World are the closest to that.
Survival centered almost-roguelikes, but too much like rogue to call them roguelites.

gonna check them out thanks

dorf fortress?

Ohayo gozaimasu /rlg/, here's something great: amnesia can affect sokoban levels too! Because if there's one main way to get more people attracted to your nethack variant, it's by making amnesia effects more diverse (and more frequent of course).

yeah i played some df, might have to go back to playing it

So what exactly were the changes to Kobolds and Halflings in Crawl 0.19? Is there anywhere to see this?

Small races can wield bigger weapons now

Oh, so halflings just got slightly better at the weapons you're not going to use anyway. Bummer.

also LMFAO I had no idea they removed HEs

when will it stop

Amnesia is fun! Once I got amnesia IRL and I forgot what a terrible mess my life is!

What are other viable gods for 15 runes besides TSO and Zin for melee?

Arrrrrrr matey what a fine lass we 'ave 'ere! Shiver me timbers!

How is Caves of Qud anyways? Is it worth the qud?

Makhleb

I've done Ru and Qazlal, but those two probably aren't very good ideas.

Okay, I'll go do him. I always fuck up the game right after a win, so I might as well try and streak with an easy MiFi^Makhleb but do 15 runes instead of 3,like I always do.

DD with Evo spam is how I got both my 15 Makhs, try that if you haven't before. It's fun.

As part of this Christmas, I shall try to ascend with our favorite stag, Actaeon!

I figured out the way to play these early game is to ignore your summon dragon spell, and go capture ball a wyvern in the wilderness. They're about the only thing you can stay on at your starting skill.

And not breathing is helpful for conserving loot.

does this have any special properties? or its just vanilla katana that is some obscure reference to some weaboo shit?

I've seen lots of Chei 15 runes.

i think you can forbid your dragon from using its breath in p options

If you wield it with the corresponding wakizashi (sold separately), your dual wielding skill is treated as though you had it at the maximum.

Neither one really does anything, though, so this isn't especially useful.

Personal experience:

Ashenzari if you want to branch into other skills. Generally I love starting as assassin of Ash, then become more stronger tabber mid-game and learn spells at end-game. ( VnAs of Ashenzari, 15-runer )

Qazlal is workable if you have high invocations, since Upheaval and Disaster Zone are stupidly powerful - synergize well with melee, so you can smite the ranged opponents ( ex. vault wardens ). However, the noise is really big problem, and you need to know how to deal with it. Abyss is a huge pain. ( HOMo of Beogh->Qazlal, 15 runer )

Makhleb is an obvious one, health-gain works and makes it less obnoxious to work through extended. Haven't 15-runed with Makhleb though.

Chei is still good, but you really need to be careful as hell with the movement. I got assguttered by brimstone fiends with my naga gladiator once. Slouch is a god-tier ability.

Ru is just amazing in general. ( MuMo of Ru, 15-runer )

Lugonu is workable, but I haven't personally done extended with her.

>Ru is just amazing in general.
This is interesting, I've won with fairly weak gods but I've never gotten past lair,orc,dungeon with Ru. It seems like he's the god of free cBlinks but I feel like the god slot can be used more constructively if that is the case.

Why do you think he's so strong ,especially since you did a 15-runer MuMo with him?

On a pure caster, is it worth switching out robes for a set of leather armour that grant +4 int? Would that bonus offset the spellcasting penalty?

Because Apocalypse is ridiculous.

Pure casters tend to wear slightly heavier armour than robes anyway(Unless you find Archmagi) so go ahead.

I don't think wearing leather armor makes any difference in fail rates than wearing robes.

Try wearing it.

Raphael is in competition with the Norsa and Nodens for the most annoying PCB unique at the moment.

rofl, what an asshole monster

idk if this is .19 or .20 but kobolds got better at magic and halflings got worse at magic/better at tabbing

Generally, his abilities are great.
Jump as said is good from go, but there's also the passive defensive abilities. Attack redirection is really funny ( redirecting crystal spears or rocks ), and the status effects are generally helpful.

Draw Power is great as mummy, since it helps counter confusion and alike.
And apocalypse is just pants-on-retardedly powerful. It's basically Disaster Area, except some of damage swapped for status effects.

While you have to sacrifice things to gain piety, you do bunch of good deals.

pastebin.com/s0Rk8FmT (0.16 morgue for the mummy)

Angels-uniques are pieces of shit in general.

Oh, it was a fighter. Nevermind.
Still, I guess point stands about Ru being great.

or you can just ride a dragon that breathes non-destructive elements like poison

miyamoto musashi was the founter of niten ichi-ryu

you have him to thank for the overpowered weaboo katana fightan in cdda

Thanks for sucking up 35 healing charges and 10 (ten) healing potions you

F U C K I N G
A S S H O L E

he doesn't resist stunning though so if you have a reliable way to apply it he's a chump

seriously get a _confusinglights or something. any unique or big demon or whatever that is vulnerable to status effects gets fucked by it so hard

although it got nerfed in recent versions so it isn't quite as powerful, and i haven't played with it recently because I had other ways to apply stun. so maybe it isn't reliable enough anymore

veggies... ewwww

meat pizzas are great but veggie ones can be really nice here and there too

>find a steaming helm on the ground as formicid
>decide to id it for keks
>+5 slaying helmet
>as a formicid
fuck you floorgod

you are own fault

Spinach pizza, when well made, is great stuff, man.

Yeah? I thought that pure mages needed to wear robes? Isn't there a list on what armour you can wear if you want to cast spells of a certain level?

Also, Fire Storm or Glaciate, which is better?

only if you follow the advice of that retarded user who never trains fighting/dodging/armor and tries to have 3 level 9 spells in vaults

if they have an encumbrance rating it will affect spellcasting ability at lower levels. this might not matter much if you're above the 20s. steam dragon armour is probably best for spell casting.

Generally you'll want to wear something that's not heavier than ring mail or dragon scale.

There's no fast and hard rule but you do want to some AC, so trust your own judgement on what you're comfortable with being able to cast at a certain %

Steam dragon is basically a better version of robes and doesn't encumber you much, that's basically what you want to wear as an early-game mage if you find it.

Armor worsens your failrates but not your spellpower, and the penalty gets smaller the higher your armor skill is. You wouldn't wear it in the super-early-game where failrates are high and xp is scarce, but you should get some sooner or later.

Firestorm is better if you already have xp in fire magic.
Glaciate is better if you already have xp in ice magic.

Pls Tell me that I can fire these from hand.

>For the first time in nearly 2 years, acquirement and god gifts will now produce helmets

Huh. Now that I look back the only head slot gifts I've gotten were hats. Damn devsbruining the game in ways I don't even perceive.

It does, at least at early game str/int levels