BMW to begin supplying Engines for the next Toyota Corolla

Since Toyota has sprouted a technical-partnership with BMW starting with the Toyota Supra, there are high chances that BMW could be supplying engines for the next-gen Toyota Corolla by 2018.

Speculated engine's by BMW for the Corolla are :
>1.5L 3cyl
>2.0L 4cyl (likely with a Turbo)

Now there are no news that Toyota will stop producing engines for their Corolla but would be adding the BMW engines to the engine choices.

Source articles : carbuzz.com/news/2016/12/23/BMW-To-Begin-Supplying-Engines-For-The-All-New-Toyota-Corolla-7737040/

indianautosblog.com/2016/12/bmw-could-supply-engine-for-next-gen-toyota-corolla-253103

>You could hear people saying this "Hey mine has a BMW engine and yours a Toyota hahahah" by the year 2019.

What do you think about this plan that could happen?

And to add up it's not said anywhere that what spec of Corolla would get the BMW engine. Whether it's the Asian-European version or the North American one. Or both may.

Weird I wonder why they are doing that

Toyota will see this as a way to improve their sales even more.

$)

Fucking corola 1.8 has been unchanged for like 15 years, its about time someone staged an intervention.

Where were you when Toyota was kill?

>he thinks BMW makes their own engines

I'd let BMW do the chassis and suspension only.

The 4 cyl Prince engine is co-developped with PSA (Peugeot, Citroen) so it's not really that surprising.

How about toyota build engines for bmws and bmw help toyota on visual design only. Best of both worlds, bmws are unreliable turds and toyotas are reliable ugly soap bars

This.
If toyota does this, they are finished.

Why change perfection?

Well the ancient 1.8l that Toyota uses has really fallen behind in comparison to its competition. Given the fact that BMW is in cahoots with Toyota concerning the new Supra none of this should be too surprising. It's probably a better deal for Toyota to purchase BMW engines than design a new one.

The engine in my 2016 Auris (aka a hatchback Corolla) already is a BMW one (N47C16A).

Why would you say that is?

Fucking why?? This isn't the 80s/90s anymore, BMW can't make a 4 cylinder engine to save their life, Toyota is only shooting themselves in the foot doing this

>Toyota reliability
>add bmws worst asset
>Toyota unreliability

Good then Toyota will finally be part godmachine

BMW is basing their sales on 4cyl economy cars you dumb shit.
Their 4cyls used to be anemic garbage in the 90s

>implying they're anywhere on the same scale of reliability compared to Toyota
It doesn't matter where they were made, they are shit for reliability compared to Toyota and the fucking Corolla is an A to B car, and it's typically a lower income car, putting a shitty BMW engine on that's going to be inevitably more expensive to repair compared to what they already have is beyond stupid

That's okay just get the extended warranty from the dealer :^)

Why make an already extremely reliable car less reliable?

Low stress parts and tried engineering replaced with the high stress parts and overengineering

People meme about toyota using the same drivetrain and transmissions for like the past 15 years but that's the reason they're so reliable.

To be fair they are lagging behind on the MPG stat against other econobox makers like Honda. It's time to innovate or fall behind. Their sales are down almost 10% from last year. That's huge.

american market corollas get the 2zr-fe. couldn't they switch over to the 2zr-fae and narrow the gap?

nothing wrong with the new bmw 4cyl engines. But Veeky Forums would not know since nobody here owns a new bmw

Yup, I completely understand. I'm just saying, the average consumer is buying toyota for the reliability. If the BMW engines aren't as reliable and low cost to maintain, then that will be just as bad. The average consumer knows almost nothing about cars. Like absolutely nothing, other than how to operate one. Even if the Corolla or whatever comes with BMW and Toyota engines as options, they won't have the brain power to sniff out a bad BMW engine being offered vs a toyota built offering. Thus they'd most likely dump the brand all together. It's like the same reason people drop $3000 on AWD as an option when really you just need snow tires.

>It's like the same reason people drop $3000 on AWD as an option when really you just need snow tires.

>there's compacted snow! better go into four-ward mode!
>I'm giving it gas, why is it not going?
>why is my car sliding sideways?
lel

The Japanese work with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" engine. It's godly reliable gets great fuel economy even more now with a CVT and it's sells like hot cakes Every single year. Even my mother bought herself a 2017 LE.

They could, but clearly Toyota thinks it isn't worth doing or they would have done it already. I wonder why they don't. I don't know enough about Toyota management and design to give a knowledged opinion on it.

True enough. People don't buy Corollas for looks, power, or fun. They buy them because they are cheap, reliable, and save on gas. If BMW engines do cause a drop in reliability that's a third of the Corolla's appeal out the window.
As for your AWD comment, most consumers consider AWD to be better than buying snow tires or paying extra attention. They are willing to pay the money for the idea that AWD brings them stability in bad conditions, whether or not that is true.

BMW makes reliable engines

Most European engines and the cars they're put in are not reliable

Also Toyocunt is gonna sell their own enginas and trannymissions to other cuntpanies... WTF is going on here, Toyota CEO gettin' too buckwilde with the coke and hookers these days needa calm down bro

>2.0L 4cyl (likely with a Turbo)
>tfw still would never consider a Corolla

Said no one ever.

>Retarded ignorant econobox buyers will blame Toyota for bmw's unreliable engine
>There goes Toyota's reliability
lol

may i save this image kind sir

I really don't understand what's going on with Toyota
>Terminating Yaris and substituting in a Mazda
>Subaru engine in the GT86 (not even sure how much input they had with any other design aspect of the car)
>Supra, toyota legend, won't even have a toyota engine
>Corolla might not even have a toyota engine
What are they doing? Are they just jerking off to the Rav4 and bathing in soccer mom dollars?

Theres always mazda and honda i guess

Are modern Nissan's reliable? Ignoring the CVT Korean Thai shitboxes

Parents own a 2010 versa. Absolute trash (bad on gas, hard to work on, had multiple electrical problems). Just get a 5-10 year old 2dr Yaris and slap a supercharger on it.

lets add to the list of all time greats that bmw has supplied to

>mclaren f1
>rolls royce phantom
>toyota corolla

Yikes.

Fucking Renault trash

Don't forget the new Supra

Exactly what i was thinking. I own a corolla and now im a cuck because toyota is getting cucked by every manufacturer.

Mazda got fucked in the ass by Ford.

Motor mounts.
Motor mounts everywhere.

Well, The new honda civic has a 1.5 turbo, the new nissan sentra has a 1.6 turbo.

Some Rav4s have American drivetrains

Don't worry the turbo engine will be a pile of unreliable shit that puts out 200hp and still ends up slower than V6 camry