Why won't car manufacturers offer AWD on their economy cars like Subaru does?

Why won't car manufacturers offer AWD on their economy cars like Subaru does?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=shJtd-e5R1g
youtube.com/watch?v=vIhSOoFE3Pw
youtube.com/watch?v=rPyRCkt1GHw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

unnecceecery

They probably expect you to just use snow tires.

AWD wont help you there bud

/thread

Because folks who buy economy cars most often live in a city with little need for it.

Another, perhaps bigger, reason is that people who buy economy cars want to pay as little as possible, and AWD makes a car more expensive in both purchase and ownership

The nips keep the good stuff for themselves

youtube.com/watch?v=shJtd-e5R1g

A proper AWD system cost a fortune and is pretty heavy. Haldex crap is only good for going a bit faster in the straights.

keep cost down and maximize profits

>tfw rav4 with awd

it's a really fun momcar

I've been sliding round all winter now

I have a 2004 rav4 vvt-i
It's a pretty gud car, grips so well I'm not sure if it's magical or not. Beaten every car in the snow so far.
Only fly in the honey pot is automatic.

yeah mine's a 2006

the auto is fine because you can just apply more and more gas and and up fine

I wish I did have the manual one tho

I hate the auto so much.
In snow you should lock it in second to avoid retarded shifts. In second mine is good from 0kph to 120+kph.
But low speed corners are outside the powerband and my track has a couple of them.

And throttle response when not goin fast is non-existant. I've lost 2 seconds on a laptime because it was a start from standstill, kicked in the throttle, waited 2 seconds and then the car went.

It's slow to get going but once it gets going it aint gonna stop.
Unless it understeers into a fucking tree.
Which it did last time we were shooting footage.
(my handbrake doesn't work anymore)

Where are you based?

Good guy Subaru

With an auto/cvt you get a shitty FWD biased computer controlled AWD

With a manual you get proper mechanical 50/50 split AWD, fun as fuck in snow holy cow

The understeer is a meme with manual, if you're familiar with driving dynamics, weight transfer, etc., you can go slideways around every corner

Because they'd rather sell them a crossover with higher profit margins instead. Because awd is a meme

Because its just another "FEATURE" like Galaxy's always on display. Not necessary but cool to have.

AWD
>More expensive
>More parts and more complicated
>More expensive to repair
Meme layout

But they do.

youtube.com/watch?v=vIhSOoFE3Pw

HOLY FUCKING SHIT is that a RWD biased AWD? The rear wheels spun first.

>Challenger
>economy car
M8 stop drinking and have fun, it's Christmas.

Well, the Dart is gone.

So, technically...

AWD with summer tires on snow is easily beaten by RWD/FWD cars with snow tires.

Not to mention the fuel economy. I think economy cars ought to remain RWD/FWD and leave AWD for performance oriented cars.

Mitsubishi does

Normies don't buy summer tires, they buy all seasons.

Nope, Not with a transverse engine. The other front tire was probably spinning first.

No new cars here come with summer tires. Same goes for anywhere where it might snow.

this
this

What you've said is true of some Subaru, but not all of them. There's a good site that explains the different systems in various Subaru models, but I'm on the phone. If this thread is up when I get home I'll post it.

Case in point, my Subaru is automatic and my AWD is 55/45 rwd biased.

>what is mustang GT PP

Cause fuel economy. An AWD Suzuki aerio or SX4 or Kizashi is quite a bit worse on gas than the FWD versions.

"HEY LETS WASTE GAS ON OUR GAS SAVERS SO WE'RE COOL TO YOUNG BUYERS"

It's a luxury. You do not need AWD except for off road and extreme snow. That's why the feature is found only on Acuras and Lexus, not the cheap cars. X-Drive and 4Matic are also very nice, again you pay $$$$ for something you simply do not need. No different than heated seats or a big touchscreen infotainment.

Because AWD kills fuel consumption which is the entire purpose of an economy car.

Jag does

Good work telling people what they need and don't need

From what I can research, the Axela is using the "i-Activ AWD" system found on CX-3/5/9 models.

It's an on-demand "intelligent FWD-slip-and-switch-to-AWD" system, like in the CR-V and most other crossovers.

Mazda i-Active AWD presentation:
youtube.com/watch?v=rPyRCkt1GHw