twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>GT86
>roadster

the fuck are you smoking

and nah the GT86 isnt gay enough to be the "new NA Miata"

>both
>roadsters

the ND is the new NA, by the way.

The GT86 probably won't even last two more years before it gets axed. Toyobaru can't compete with Mazda here.

its faster, and you can get it for 5000 bucks cheaper.

and it has more space, and you can fit all your track tires and tools in it, and you don't have to look like a hairdresser.

car just got a facelift, and a new model is in the works for 2018. wouldn't exactly call that axed.

>a new model is in the works for 2018
Source? I'm genuinely interested

Are you on drugs? If anything the new ND is the new NA and the GT86 is a N/A Silvia or something else that sucks.

autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/next-generation-toyota-gt86-expected-2019

and
>hardtop
>2+2
>no obvious gay stigma (maybe teenage girl stigma)
>bigger motor

people look at the toyobaru and think 'i wish it was a convertible' and people look at the mx-5 and think 'i wish it was bigger' and only could really bring more buyers to the market

>its faster, and you can get it for 5000 bucks cheaper.

$5000 is a stretch, unless you're comparing the Miata RF (hardtop convertible) with all the options to a base BRZ. Either way none of it matters if it's not selling well enough. Toyota used to sell a mid engined sports car for under $25,000 and Honda used to sell a 240hp roadster with a 9000rpm redline for $35,000. Neither of those exist now.

>neither exist now

the s2000 sold for like 10 years. it was perfect and they could never improve on it

and anything that's cheap and MR never lives long

also the ap1 had a 9000 rpm redline and the ap2 had 240hp

25k 86 vs. the 31-33k ND with the tires, brakes, suspension, engine and LSD needed to be fractionally faster than the 86 twins on more technical tracks.

and stupid and irrelevant as it is considering the miata has gearing set up to what you'd want in a cheap sportscar, top speed in the 86 is still some 10-20mph higher.

>it was perfect and they could never improve on it

AP1 was pretty damn far from perfect.

although if you find a high mileage one in good order today its probably safe to say its gonna be reliable for the rest of its life.

>anything that's cheap and MR never lives long

But the MR2 sold for around 20 years in various forms.

Fine, my point is that even if it's a neat car it still needs to sell.

I've literally never a BRZ or GT86 sell for under $28K but that might be specific to my location

>ap1 far from perfect

how so

youtube.com/watch?v=KUFFudEJnjk

best motor/transmission/chassis/styling ever

mostly depends on where you live. sticker prices, trim levels, demand, etc.

but you can order a new GT86 from a dealer for 25k, or 26500 in case of the BRZ in most of the US.

the only things you're getting with a 28 or 30k 86 is basically push button start, alcantara, useless infotainment, nonsensical wing, and in the US/EU, 17 inch skiddy wheels and tires instead of 16''.

sudden and extreme twitchyness out of nowhere aside, transmission. but like I said, if a car has lasted this long already, it'll probably be fine. I just would never do any work on the engine before seriously revising the transmission. you probably know what I'm talking about if you're the least invested in the car.

interesting to note, the 86 twins basically has the exact same gearbox and transmission the AP2 has.

>gearbox and transmission

im sort of sleepy

>car just got a facelift,
i wish it didn't

Will they not mount the engine 12 inches above the ground in the next gen, maybe even make it front-midship, or will it still be shit?

>best motor
k20 is better, and that's another Honda engine. There's many other better engines.

>chassis
No. 12000nm/deg of torsional rigidity is SHIT. An FD had 15000nm/deg 10 years prior. In the aerly 2000s, most cars were around 20000nm/deg.
Even the NA Miata was something like 8000nm/deg.
And it's mechanic grip is really just not that good. It gives good feedback, and is responsive if you know how to drive, but its limits are low.

>styling ever
Probably the best looking car Honda ever made. Even better than the NSX or CRX.

I bought my FRS new almost 3 years ago and there still isn't a car for under 30k that I would rather have

No regrats

>tfw would finance a GT86 if it had a toyota power plant

FA20 isn't THAT bad. Not compared to most other NA 4 cylinders currently in production.

why do they keep riding subaru's dick so hard
don't get me wrong, I love the GT86, but what that car really needs is to get that subaru boxer replaced with an updated 2ZZ-GE
>but muh center of gravity
the 4AGE is a regular inline 4 that's pretty much a boat anchor by today's standards, it sat at the same height as any other car, and somehow, the AE86 is considered to be one of the best handling road cars ever. perhaps engine altitude isn't everything?

>NO PICTURES
>take a pic anyway
Millenials are cancer

>high revving aluminum block flat-four
>let's send power to only the rear wheels
>and put the engine in the front of the car

W H Y
H
Y

Subaru needs to take advantage of that FA20 and make a MR or RR sports car.

>I bought my FRS new almost 3 years ago
I'm currently leasing one and it goes back in 4 months. It's a fun ride but with the RF mx-5 out now, that's going to be my next lease.

We're running out of cheap RWD cars. People even look at Volvo bricks even those don't even have LSD option. GT86 will certainly have it's place in history.

It's been proven many times by cars like FD, Supra and Viper that FR is the best layout.

What FR drivetrains Toyota even has? Lexus IS I guess.

the 124 spider looks better than both.

Not a big toyobaru fan but i thinm their good cars that get shit on unfairly. Same thing happens with my ND miata but in all honesty I have had more fun in the ND than when i was a new GT mustang, new CamaroSS , and even my friends supercharged acura. Lightweight, Good handling RWD cars are fantastic.

I thought later RWD Volvos had LSD's?

I don't know, I'm not an expert on Volvo. But at least it's not really a car that you can expect to have aftermarket. Not to mention it's a huge brick. But hey, as long as it's RWD.

>fiat quality

At least it's no diesel.

Volvos have a decent aftermarket, you can get cover for the dash and blue bushes

850 Turbos go well enough and their cheap as fuck in NZ

The GT86 is the new S-chassis.

>implying Fiat manufactures the 124

not entirely, but the engine is the same SOHC can of sardines they put in the 500 abarths, and it's unreliable as fuck

engine bay is full of bits with the chrysler badge on it

all i know, steering the fuck away at all cost

True. Except better in just about every way.

idk why you mentioned Supra instead of something like the GT-R or LFA.

The Supra was just a GT cruiser with decent handling. You don't compare it to the likes of the FD and Viper.

GT86 would have been a million times better if it had a regular 4 cylinder or at least the FA20 from the Impreza that didn't have a stupidly high compression ratio stock.

Or if it had a v6 mounted front-midship, and a transaxle, instead of a boxer engine mounted well over top of the front wheels, far from the firewall, and the transmission high up with it.

But it's designed to understeer cuz normies

>GT86
>understeer
Goddamn Veeky Forums is the most unknowledgeable board about its own topic

no u

>r or at least the FA20 from the Impreza that didn't have a stupidly high compression ratio stock.

>But it's designed to understeer cuz normies

>and the transmission high up with it.

no, no, no

some of you are quite literally borderline retarded. you're one of them.

>no opposing evidence

Yeah just fuck off assmad GT86 fangirl

yes because a naturally aspirated engine with low compression and older and worse injection technology is HEAPS better than a high compression unit with brand new injection technology used in the lexus iS

as for the rest, im not even gonna start.

go find your own ''evidence''. all you're doing is making yourself seem like a fucking idiot.

>But it's designed to understeer cuz normies

Can't tell if troll or lack of oxygen to the brain.

>as for the rest, im not even gonna start.
because you're retarded and wrong

yes, the GT86 understeers and low compression with 15 year old injection tech is best.

absolutely

The GT86/FRS maybe, not the ND or BRZ.

Toyota powerplant, shove a turbo in, and call it the GT86 Supra, and while you're at it, scrap the BMW they want to market as a supra.