I know it gets talked about to death, but what would be the American equivalent of the AE86?

I know it gets talked about to death, but what would be the American equivalent of the AE86?

>RWD
>light weight
>small displacement
>old shitbox from 70s or 80s
>good balance and suspension
>cheap and common
>unimpressive and scoffed at
>great grocery getter regular car
>capable of being fast with right hands and tuning

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cosworth_Vega
roadandtrack.com/car-culture/features/a6344/ferrari-458-speciale-dragon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Every time we have this discussion it's foxbody mustang.

Vega/Pinto

Foxbody handling is pretty shitty without upgrades, it seems more like the American equivalent of the Nissan S-chassis in that you can make it what you want.

I was thinking along those lines, yeah. Later model Vegas were actually nice cars, especially the Cosworth which also happened to have an i4 engine just like the AE86 that still had higher horsepower than V8s at the time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Cosworth_Vega

The Pinto might be a better choice because there's a fuckton of aftermarket support for the Pinto/Kent engines.

>Foxbody handling is pretty shitty without upgrades
It's not shitty, it's just not stellar.

Pretty much the same as the AE86.

Nothing.
Americans don't understand "handling". They think "handling" is where you put the automatic gearbox: on the steering column or between front seats
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Got u covered famalam

>tfw cop siren is eurobeat

It's pretty shitty.

That's why the SVO is a more apt comparison to the AE86. It's an unassuming performance variant of common car.

The AE86 also has shitty handling, I don't know why you faggots keep saying otherwise. It has a LRA for Christ's sake. The only reason it is acceptable is because it's so light.

bro what the hell are you talking about. the ae86 is a literal drift meme. that is all the bragging rights it has. a light rwd car with poor enough geometry to make it good at drifting. the miata would be a better fit to your description

Most 80's cars with sra handling was shitty including the ae86.

Came here to post this. Cosworth Vega, good luck finding one without a boomer tax.

bump. But what said.

The ae86 also has shit handling characteristics, or at the least very similar ones to the fox. But, a good runnerup for merica is the merkur xr4ti.

Vega is a much better choice than the Foxbody ever was

My vote goes for the AMC Spirit

>light weight
>150 hp out of a carbed 4.0 which was small for the time, even had an available 4 cyl
>LRA
>better than average handling
>still a total grocery getter

Only problem is the shitty 4 speed manual. My brothers both used to drift their spirits/eagles back in the 90s.

What a nice car (behind the grey one).

Foxbody Mustang
>>RWD
Check
>>light weight
Still pretty light today, for a US-made RWD car.
>>small displacement
2.3 turbo or 5.0 V8.
>>old shitbox from 70s or 80s
Check
>>good balance and suspension
Monstrous with modern upgrades, pretty good stock thanks to low weight
>>cheap and common
Check to both - up untill the recent resurgence, but that's true of the AE86 too
>>unimpressive and scoffed at
It was the least Mustang Mustang to ever Mustang
>>great grocery getter regular car
Decent MPG, capable, and available in hatch and notch, just like the AE86.
>>capable of being fast with right hands and tuning
Both very much check, although it's drag racing prowess nowadays exceeds the going-around-corners thing. However, that makes it more American, doesn't differentiate it from the AE86, both had racing prowess.

1st Gen GMC/Chevrolet S-10

>RWD
check
>light weight
check
>small displacement
check
>old shitbox from 70s or 80s
check
>good balance and suspension
lol
>cheap and common
check
check
>great grocery getter regular car
check
>capable of being fast with right hands and tuning
literally $300 and an afternoon

Vega does all of this but better

Foxbody does NOT have any kind of decent handling stock either

There is no US comparison. Nothing had the god-like 4AGE engine.

The only reason the 4age is famous is because it's the first mass produced DOHC engine

Pretty much any car from the 80s wouldn't work anymore honestly. Atleast in the North. It's getting harder and harder to find cheap ones that haven't been driven into the ground.

Not sure what the south's got going on though. Their situation might be different.

>First mass produced dohc engine
Are you just trying to be retarded?

the 4age is shit

No, I can't really help it.

Ford is a 100% American company.

Jaguar and Alfa Romeo

and I dont even know if they were the 1st mass produced just the earliest I know

Jag in '49 Alfa Romeo in early 50s

all the best Fords are British or German its weird

"The A-series includes the first mass-production DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder engine, the 4A-GE, and a later version of the same motor was one of the first production five-valve-per-cylinder engines."

Idk I read it on Wikipedia

The Dusenberg sj had a sohc 4v/cylinder in the 20s. Dohc is not new technology

thats not even right since there were quite a few 16v DOHC engines in the 70s

20v was among the early engines for sure but I think Audi did it first

"Mass produced" though. They made a buttload of 4AGE. Before that, the tech was reserved for limited production cars.

They base a decent anoint if Duesenbergs.

Also this is completely retarded. Toyota produced the 2tg before the 4age. And consider they all evolved from the lotus Ford twin cam. Or the alfa twin cam

>4.0
>small

4.0L was huge in the 90s...

Made a decent amount*

how many made until it is considered mass produced

there are tens of thousands of cars that used the Lotus 16v Twin Cam engine in the 70s

but those arent 16V DOHC

Honestly you got me.
>What engine are you talking about with it
>What type of mods

Basically give me the run down of what you do to make an S10 worth driving. Also we talking blazer or truck?

This, both the Alfa and Ford-Lotus had 2 valves per cylinder

You are correct, I forgot the ska fish NY do production 4v until the latter 80s. The race engines had 4v but those weren't normal

Fiat/Lancia made a shit ton of Twincams too, but didn't go 4v in big numbers till the 80s.
The Cosworth BDA which the 4AGE ripped off was not mass produced in the same way as the 4AGE.

Have you driven a foxbody? Handling is pretty good and if you have a 5.0 you can use the throttle to help you turn in. My tires can still break at 2nd gear.

So I really didn't like the idea of a fox body at first, but seriously, one of these things? Like a 1983 fox body hatch at around 3200 lbs, with like 175 HP?

THAT'S straight Initial D material. But alright, saying it takes place at around 2001-2003, what does everyone else ride? I don't remember the great American cars of the late 90s and early 2000s cause I was like 7 then

It's not old but literally everything on the op list is checked off by the smartcar fourtwo. I'm serious.

problem is the Foxbody couldnt turn to save its life and any half decent American car at the time would btfo it so bad it would be unbelievable for it to win at all

C5Z
Viper
WS6
SS
Cobra
SRT-4

Chrysler Conquest

truck would be lighter, blazer would be stiffer chassis

That's the same thing as a Starion

>what does everyone else ride
I know at least the Takahashi brothers get Corvettes. To match the fact that Keisuke has a FD and Ryousuke has an FC, should we say american expies have S4 and S5 Vettes?
I don't remember the dates.

Whatever car American Takumi gets needs to have a few different variations.

>A worse performing kind the best friend gets mistakenly
>One with a different styling that someone else gets and turbocharges
>One with a different body that some stupid kid with a bullshit driving "style" gets

I'm still good with fox body.
>Itsuki gets the 4.2L 111 HP 1992
>Someone else gets the coupe variant
Don't know about the third

F-body Firebird Trueno/Camaro Levin

Late 70s GM H bodies would work i personally like the skyhawk and the starfire

Capri

Vega still

And?

whatever manual v8 mustang or camaro you can afford

any v6 camaro they have decent suspension and stock make WAY more power than an AE86

NO ONE WILL EVER SAY THIS BUT AS AMERICANS WE ARE SPOILED AND VERY LUCKY TO GET CARS AS POWERFUL AS THE ONES WE HAVE

EVEN OUR V6 CARS ARE UNHEARD OF IN PLACES WHERE THESE OTHER CARS COME FROM

Alright, after doing more research based on the thread, the 1983 F-body seems like the perfect choice.
It fulfills all the criteria, but most importantly, it has basically the same power to weight ratio and that's what matters.

1983 Ae86: roughly 123 HP at 1 ton, W/P: ~16
1983 5.0 F-Body: Roughly 175 HP at 1.5 tons, W/P: ~17

They even really fucking similar .

We also traditionally drive pigfat boats though, to balance out the extra power. It's why we've always had a problem with handling.

Well, it came with an I4 or V6 from the factory but a small block 350 drops in and bolts right up to the transmission.

If we're talking about drifting the touge I'd go with the truck body

>stock 350 or supercharge the V6
>stiffen the chassis and front suspension
>remove/relocate power steering, A/C, etc.
>wider rear wheels, keep fronts skinny

I think if you're talking about an American AE86 it will be inexplicably tied to Initial D.

Considering this, you also have context to consider. We don't have that touge culture in America so you would have to think about whatever the American equivalent of that would be. Any answer you come up with is going to put a much lesser importance on handling I suspect, so a Foxbody's supposed lesser handling ability still fits if the context is right.

>light weight
>good handling
>low displacement

You basicly described the opposite of pretty much every burger car in the 80s/90s.

surely the american equivalent to the ae86 would be a corolla of the same era? has no one noticed how similar they look??

>We don't have that touge culture in America so you would have to think about whatever the American equivalent

pizza delivery boy doing stoplight drag races

Mountain racing isn't not an American thing, it's more of a regional thing than a national thing considering how big the US is, theres a guy who has the record for fastest time through the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee and he drives a FD with minimal powertrain mods, Motortrend sent a journalist out to interview the guy

I know but that isnt the "American equivalent"

American street racing is whether arm drop or stop light drag racing

theres also GMR, Mulholland and other canyon roads in California

all but one of those
the car was pretty heavy

>2.3
>low displacement

Murika

You're right, mountain racing hasn't really been talked about as much as street racing in general, I just like finding an excuse to post the article
>roadandtrack.com/car-culture/features/a6344/ferrari-458-speciale-dragon/

it was low displacement for an American sports car

no one liked it because the 4 cylinder was a higher trim than the v8 even though it was a much better engine

dagumi gets the 5.0 foxbody hatch
itsuki gets the 4-banger notch
the guy who fucked itsuki's gf gets a hatchback Capri
shinji gets a 5.0 notch

turd gen F-body cars can be used as throwaway extras, like all the S13s in the original series:

Iketani: Camaro IROC-Z Z/28
Kenji: Firebird Formula
Mako and Sayuki: Transmarobird (front clip of Camaro on a Firebird T/A body)

foxbody

fox body is third generation Ford Mustang (Fox platform, shared with Mercury Capri), the 4th gen is also based on a modified fox platform

F-body is the name for GM's Chevy Camaro/Pontiac Firebird twins up to the end of the fourth generation, named for the "F" platform they're based on (5th onwards use platforms named after greek letters)

Nonsense. That is clearly an Atoyot in the bottom image, one of those shit Korean copycat companies.

>2.3
>SOHC
>8 valves
>EIGHT FUCKING VALVES
>did I mention it was designed in the 70s

It is low displacement considering how shitty it was without a turbo

>cheap and common

I don't think thats the ae86 anymore

I dont know how this car handles, but 2,3l is fucking hughe, the AE86 had a 1,6l engine.

America cant into small engines

only rwd American car I can think of with a small engine is the Chevette and its actually an Isuzu

>I dont know how this car handles,
its on the Fox platform so it cant handle that great either

If it needs to be REALLY small, sure. They can in performance applications though. Pusrod V8 is fairly compact compared to DOHC, also take into consideration that turbines themselves take space.

>thread

The capri is a yuro ferd

Still ford tho

My father had a couple of them back in the late 70s, when he was in his 20's

He told me it was a really decent car, with a nice feeling and there was tons of them on the market so he wrecked two of them without any remorses

I heard ford falcons are also great american cars

C4 Corvette. displacement doesnt work but the base models were unimpressive as far as power goes

Pontiac Fiero - got off to a fiery start and faced competition from the CRX and MR2 in the sporty commuter market. The later "Formula GT" models had good balance (mid-engine V6) RWD, and fine tuning the suspension was cheap, and the swapable body panels were rip for an aftermarket to customize up the wazoo, but GM killed it.

I was honestly sort of thinking that, but it's more comparable to an MR2.
It's also not really light.