Why do people think it's a good idea to transmit power to the wheels that steer?

Why do people think it's a good idea to transmit power to the wheels that steer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7spDOxlPer4
youtu.be/XWPLL0ncXWA?t=309
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mostly cause it's cheap.
That's it really.

But even in AWD applications it doesn't really make sense when it comes to performance handling (not snow/rain/etc...).

yes

more grip makes no sense in performance

this,

plus understeer is a lot more easier to deal with for normies than oversteer would be

grip and power distribution is useful under hard acceleration to prevent wheel spin. it's well known that any advantage offered by forward wheel driving is cancelled out by the lateral forces it sustains by having this power applied to the steering wheels. probably why they don't use AWD in literally any form of racing (f1, nascar, motogp, etc...)

because we are all getting fat. the fatter we get the more room that needs to be inside the car. get rid of the driveshaft hump and you have more room for fat legs. the same reason cars and trucks are now fuckhuge.

thats because it adds weoght and the rules have it banned

most of the fastest street cars are awd for a reason

But why aren't drag cars AWD?

>weight
>drivetrain loss

they use gigantic slicks so its not like theyre traction limited

you are missing the point. i am talking about handling, not speed/acceleration in which case it is obvious that AWD is beneficial. my argument is that driving power to the wheels being used for steering is counter-productive from a suspension/balance point of view.

this. I was at the gas station in my e92 335i coupe and a new m4 pulled up next to me, it looks like it moved up an entire segment in size.

so am I

look at the Nurburgring times

3 of the top 5 are AWD and the other 2 are glorified go karts

AWD isnt 50/50 in modern performance applications and only sends power when its needed

its not counter-productive at all

And the E92 is bigger than the E46 which is bigger than the E36 which is bigger than the E30...

lol well thats not AWD then. that is just traction control

How did they get ST cars to oversteer anyway?

no thats AWD

do you not even know how AWD works

Yes, AWD is an inherent 50/50 distribution of power similar to what Subaru has. Not your meme Jap AWD that is RWD up until it needs it. That is just some electronics traction control nonsense that isn't what we are discussing

That's why proper AWD is supposed to be RWD biased with power going to the front wheels only when shit gets really hairy, usually coming out of the turn under full power.

>some electronics traction control nonsense
You ain't discussing shit, m8. You're just writing down chimpout sounds and think that's what arguments sound like.

AWD is when all wheels (can) drive

Go and take off in a FWD shitbox and the front skids, in a RWD the rear skids, in an AWD nothing (should) skid

An AWD will still spin the tires if it's light enough and has enough power. The front wheels still lift under power in a AWD. Even a 6000lb diesel drag truck will spin all 4.

youtube.com/watch?v=7spDOxlPer4

Where the power should go to in a cars that are four wheel steering?

Old muscle cars weren't AWD. Generally speaking the tech in drag racing is rooted in past. If one were to consider building a drag car from scratch I'm sure AWD would be considered. It has in the past. Pic related.

Sir, a full-time 50/50 power distribution system with locked axles is called 4WD (Four-wheel drive). A system that can send power to either two or four wheels is called AWD (All-wheel drive).

you can oversteer a FWD car by lifting off the throttle during a hard turn, shifting the weight to the front wheels and sending the back end flying due to lack of grip

youtu.be/XWPLL0ncXWA?t=309

use jet thrusters for those

Thanks. I did not know that. I thought AWD and the point of it was 50/50 power distribution but now I see it's just used as a form of traction control
And it isn't actually AWD

Suspension setup matters more than which wheels are driven. There's RWD cars deliberately set up to understeer and there's properly set up FWD cars that behave neutral and can be provoked to oversteer.

Not only do you not understand what AWD means, you also don't know what traction control means. Try typing them in a search engine and spending 30 seconds reading about them.

Why did anyone think it a good idea NOT to? Surely you want power in the direction you're going?

>But why aren't drag cars AWD?
They accelerate so fast the front wheels are literally lifted off the ground.

Don't get cunty user.

So you're saying AWD has nothing to do with traction

AWD is, as the name implies, a method of transferring power to all wheels.