I understand that for turbo charged cars you can splice into the waste gate boost reference line for a reading for your...

I understand that for turbo charged cars you can splice into the waste gate boost reference line for a reading for your boost gauge, but how does it work for superchargers??

Correct me if i'm wrong, but would it just be a vacuum line from your manifold to your gauge? (behind the throttle body) It's surprisingly difficult to find decent installation guides on the net for supercharged applications.

I'm building a custom supercharger kit and want to be safe, don't want to push over 7psi on stock engine.

Buy a 7psi pulley

is that the one that revs to 6 grand or the one that revs to 8.5?

doesn't it matter on the ratio between your crank and the pulley size? surley every car doesnt have the same crank pulley diameter

It depends on your engine and supercharger of choice.

Do the math (and learn it) or ask someone who has already worked with the engine/super combo you plan on using

what psi you run is surprisingly less important than the tune

it is when you arn't running a tune. This downing atlanta kit for the 318i pushed 7-8psi no tune just FPR and did fine, plenty of people have used the kit. I'm running a smaller amr500 and am just making sure I don't go past what the DASC made. motronic 5.2 dme can handle it.

You aren't running a tune with an aftermarket supercharger? Are you still using stock injectors?

yeah stock injectors with RRFPR

is installing a supercharger tough? What's a reasonable price for a kit? total amateur here but I'm not retarded and their seems to be a wealth of resources.

much easier than turbo, as you dont need manifolds, down pipe, oil/water feeds and returns. charger prices range depending how big you need, i'm only running a small cheap one since engine is only 1895cc so keeps costs low. for the parts i'm using it'l cost around 400usd to make.

You think an amateur could pull it off over a weekend? Thinking of buying a Boxster and throwing in a supercharger.

can easily be done if you have all the parts and planned everything in advance, main obstacles are mounting the charger and doing the math (like im trying to figure out now) so you don't end up blowing the engine.

mechanically speaking though, pretty straight forward.

The supercharger if I understand right isn't is powerful as the turbocharger but it does give you more power earlier on making it more useful off the track. Is this correct?

Depends how much boost you are pushing. Turbos usually make more power at the same PSI though.
As for your question regarding installation, anyone that can change their own oil can install a supercharger. I did mine in two days, took about 9 hours total taking my time.

How much do you reckon a supercharger kit would be for a 4g gs eclipse? Is such a thing possible

is that an eaton m62?

not sure man we don't have them in my country, generally speaking itl cost a lot less then a turbo providing you do a lot of the work yourself

Nope, it was a CT-e kit. Not sure exactly who makes the blower.

So do you have a vacuum pump running all of your vacuum actuated shit?

Normally for boost applications you can just run some vacuum hose to whatever spouts are there on the manifold, that'll give you your manifold pressure.

>The supercharger if I understand right isn't is powerful as the turbocharger
It uses crank HP to make boost instead of waste gas - a turbo does restrict exhaust flow, but this causes significantly less power loss at the crank compared to a supercharger.

>but it does give you more power earlier on
For the most part, yes. A Roots type SC will give you as much boost as it can at lower speeds, but tends to become less efficient at considerably higher RPMs - depends on how high your engine can go, really.

On the other hand, a turbo will require a certain amount of exhaust gas to 'spool up' and begin making boost - this varies a lot depending on your turbo, but a typical setup won't start making useful boost until the start of your midrange RPM.

>making it more useful off the track. Is this correct?
Not really, no. The kind of bolt-on SC kit you seem to be looking at will make your car feel more powerful in day to day driving, but on a track you will be spending a lot of time with your engine at mid to high RPMs, which is where a turbo is happiest. You probably also won't be running an intercooler (which is easier to plumb with a turbo), and a lack of an ECU tune will also restrict your power regardless of turbo or SC.

Excellent post.
The only thing I would criticize is the part about not running an intercooler. With a supercharger you would want to run an aftercooler, and a lot of kits have aftercoolers that work with them.

Thanks, although I should think aftercooler/intercooler is pretty much interchangeable terminology, given that it's simply a way of removing the heat from the compressed air coming from the turbo/supercharger. I've rarely heard someone refer to them as an aftercooler in the first place, maybe it's more commonly called that outside of Australia.

My understanding is that an aftercooler is used with a supercharger, and sits sandwiched between the blower and the intake manifold. Where as an intercooler cools the air before passing through the throttle body.
I could be wrong though...

Must be in kits, most factory supercharged cars I've seen didn't have an after cooler.

Ah, right, I get you - it's named in relation to the throttle body, not the source of forced induction.

The kind of performance tuning and cars I look at are mostly turbocharged.

Yeah, most factory SC setups don't typically run enough boost to make any kind of air-charge cooling worth the trouble.

That said, I am looking at building up an L67 (GM's 3.8L V6 with an SC on it), so an aftercooler is definitely something I'll be looking into. Water to air seems to be the best option for compactness.

Does that just go between the SC and the lower intake? I've done some work on those engines. Not SC related.

Yes, it's like a spacer plate but chock full of cooling fins. I figure most manufacturers wouldn't go to the trouble of adding something like that due to the maintenance involved and the added complexity/potential for disastrous failure (just imagine if the aftercooler dumped all its coolant into your intake!), but since I'll be running considerably higher boost above stock (11+ psi), it'll be worth it.

Wow lots of boost. Best of luck!

It'll be put in a daily, or at least good weather driver, so I'm trying to get as much low to mid range power as I can out of it. Mostly depends on whether it'll run safely on premium gas or if it needs E85 to use that much boost, though.

>I'm building a custom supercharger kit and want to be safe, don't want to push over 7psi on stock engine.
If you cant even figure out how a boost gauge works how the fuck are you going to not fuck up supercharging your car?

B-But user, anyone who can change their oil can install a supercharger, Veeky Forums said so!

>11 psi
> lots of boost
ricerfag confirmed

>I understand that for turbo charged cars you can splice into the waste gate boost reference line for a reading for your boost gauge,
You understand wrong. Boost is measured the same way regardless of how it's made.

boost sensor on the charged side of the supercharger.
i.e. on the pipe that goes from your supercharger to your throttle body.

it's read differently between turbo's and superchargers, mainly because you dont have a fucking waste gate on a supercharger so the boost reference line isnt there to tee off.

No it's not, it's manifold pressure (or vacuum).

Anything after the supercharger being pressurized can be tapped into for an analog boost gauge.

He just meant you aren't reading it from the wastegate line, ya huge dummy!

Yeah

>tfw stock supercharger

feels good

What do you think would be better bang for buck on a 5.3L v8?

How do 'digital' boost gauges work?

They use a "sender" that converts mechanical/analog to electronic data that gets set to your gauge.

What V8 exactly, and what are you using it for?

2013 Silverado and mainly for highway racing in a straight line