Any VR fags around? Got a 12v that jumped time and bent valves about 6 months ago. Replaced all the valves and shit...

Any VR fags around? Got a 12v that jumped time and bent valves about 6 months ago. Replaced all the valves and shit, just wondering what the likelihood of the chain stretching would be.

>bank angle less than 60 degrees

Trying to sell the pos, I just wanna know if it'll run with the old chains on it.

My understanding is chain stretch isn't much of an issue with the VR6, the chain guides are the main culprit in most timing failures. Don't know why you want to get rid of it. Aside from the cost for parts they're fantastic engines.

i hate these pos -- but that sound when they work omg they sound delicious

Good to know. The upper guide breaking is what cause the timing to jump in the first place. I love the engine, just not the car.. Needs a ton of body work.

Do a quick youtube search for VR6 turbo 2 step. Blue car. Jizz buckets.

Understandable man, thought about getting a shell and transferring the drive-train over? Plenty of guys on the VAG forums swap these into MK1 and MK2s. I think someone even put a VR6 in a honda once.

Yeah, definitely considered it. Probably will at some point but I wanna get the engine running first. Any thoughts about the tensioner bolt that goes into the back of the top chain cover? Do they tend to go bad?

Not entirely sure, check VW vortex. I haven't had any problems with the timing chains on mine yet, only had to deal with a constant lean condition and various ignition problems.

Gotcha. Enjoy it while you can lol. If you let the chains fail you're in for a world of shit. You ever resolve your issues?

Not entirely. Turns out I was getting a misfire from a bad MAF but for some reason the car randomly goes into a safe mode and cuts all throttle response and idles like shit. Have to shut the car off and let it sit for a minute before I can restart it. After that it runs fine until it randomly does it again. As for the lean condition, I have no clue what is causing it. I was too busy getting the engine into my mighty max so I could have a reliable vehicle for the winter instead of chasing gremlins.

Mine would do that shit too sometimes except I dont think I was ever running lean. I had the EPC light come on one time while i was driving and it wouldn't idle at all. Pushed the clutch in to shift and my car shut off while i was rolling down the road. Scary as fuck.

That is exactly it! Did you ever find out what caused it? First time it happened to me I was doing 110 on the freeway, nearly shit myself thinking I had just blew my engine. EPC and Traction Control come on and stay on until the codes are cleared.

Haha honestly I have no fucking clue what it was... I just shut it off when I was in the store, came back out and EPC was off and it never happened again. Check your cam position sensor. I know the one in my car was bad.

Interesting, I'll check it this spring and see when the roads arent getting salted. Let's exchange emails or something before this thread gets pruned, might be able to help you get her up and running sooner than later.

Sounds good to me. Fibbernazi @ gmail. Whereabouts you from?

Northern Michigan, tip of the mitt. How about yourself?

Pennsylvania. Assuming the roads are just as shit there as they are here lol.

Somehow yours are probably worse right now. For whatever fucking reason it hit 50 degrees up here today and most of the snow melted. Give it a week though, we'll have 18 inches and lake Michigan will be froze over.

Lolol Yeah, it's still almost 60 here. We haven't had any snow laying on the roads at all this winter except for like 2 days surprisingly.

I've already had the bed of my truck filled up with snow and its currently in the 20s. Lake effect snow is a total bitch. I envy you southerners.

Fuck. We usually get a ton of lake effect from Erie but it hasn't come this way yet apparently.

It's not that bad off Erie from what I experienced before, the shit that comes off Lake MI is fucking bullshit though. Seems like we get one storm a year where a foot of thick snow gets dumped on us over night.

Also, I shot you an email, should be fairly obvious considering the address.

I own a 2001 12v AFP , just like your pic.

You're already in there, so you might as well just replace everything.