Why do antique Volkswagons drive so well in winter? Asking for a friend. Thanks!

Why do antique Volkswagons drive so well in winter? Asking for a friend. Thanks!

They dont

My friend said her mom has one and asked me why they drive so well in winter. So apparently they do. Should I believe you or her?

ask her mom then? everyone here is living at home barely making enough to afford hondas and miatas.

I don't know her mom. And I think her mom doesn't know either and that's why she asked me.

your friends mom is a fucking stupid ass cunt who says whatever stupid fucking shit pops into her stupid fucking head

unless she or anyone else saying car related things is a mechanic by trade then they fucking dont know jack shit and are talking out of their ass

Probably true cause my friend said her mom and that entire side of her family are all crazy. Thanks for confirming that my friend's mom is crazy, Veeky Forums!

Cold air is more dense. More air equals more power. Its just more noticeable in slow old cars, not just VW's lol. My e30 gains 10hp on the butt dyno when its cold

no, just no.

So my friend's mom isn't crazy? Thanks for the info, user!

Actually, yes

no.

more air does not always equal more power. it's the amount of mols of oxygen in the air AND how efficiently it is used between the air filter and exhaust tip, along with many many other variables.

Yeah no fucking shit. Excuse me for dumbing it down for Mr.oldVWisfasterwhenitscold but that is why it "feels" faster in the cold you fucking mongoloid

no one fucking asked about a car feeling faster in the winter.

What the fuck is going on in this thread?

i bet u think a car with an exhaust and pod filter give you 30whp over stock

He said it "drives better" which is vague as shit. I replied with the only difference I know of caused by cold weather. Do you have a better answer? No. You don't have shit. Go back to jalopnik you queer bait.

I said "feels faster" and "butt dyno" nothing about actual gains. And once again, you added nothing to the thread. GG namefag

no one said anything about 'driving better'.

>posts in thread
>doesn't read the OP post

>Why do antique Volkswagons drive so well in winter?
>drive so well in winter
>drive so well in winter

>He said it "drives better"

you're obviously retarded.

>implying "better" doesn't mean "more well"
>implying you're not fucking retarded

so if OP asked why his jeep wrangler drives so well in the winter, your answer would be because cold air is more dense?

you're retarded dude.

No, I am OP you fucking dumbfuck. I asked why old Volkswagons drive well in winter. I don't know if it's because cold air is dense, that's why I fucking asked.

>"more well"
no one in this thread said 'more well'

engine's in the back over the drive wheels. jesus christ.

My uncle works at Volkswagen and he told me that the old VWs run better in Winter because they are air-cooled and it's colder in Winter than the other seasons so the engine stays cooler than it would normally.

why do people with air cooled engines not think theyre oil cooled? is it just slang?

This.

Not sure if they're still great by modern standards, but back in the 60s, when cars were lighter and tires were shittier, Volkswagens could get traction in a lot of places where most other cars would just spin their wheels.

It wasn't just snow either, that combination of light weight, engine over the drive wheels, and air cooling made the VWs remarkably robust in a lot of conditions, compared to most cars of the time.

Water-cooled cars see the same benefit, since the coolant is also cooled by the ambient air.