Hey Veeky Forums, I'm in the market for a SUV and am considering the Nissan Xterra...

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm in the market for a SUV and am considering the Nissan Xterra. Right now I'm looking at an 06' with 87000 miles for a little under 8000 USD. Carfax report is clean. Does this seem like a good deal? This is my first time getting a car, so I guess I'm not sure about everything yet.
>pic somewhat related

Xterra a shit.

Go with pic related.

I was looking at some 4Runners in my area, and they're all above my price or the mileage is too high. I know the 4Runner is pretty good though, but what significant advantages would it have? My only anecdote was my dad used to have an early Xterra back when I was still a kid and it was pretty awesome.

Buy a Suburban and shut the fuck up.

Even a 96 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon will have a nicer interior than the 2006 Xterra.

You're not getting shit for your money with the Xterra.

why do you want a shitty suv?

>or the mileage is too high.
I've personally watched two people go broke maintaining/repairing vehicles they bought because the only thing they look at is age and miles.

I'd trust a 1995 on a good platform with 200k miles before I trust a 2005 on a bad platform with 50k miles.

Narrow down your selection to 2-3 vehicles you KNOW are on good platforms and offer a lot for the money. THEN pay attention to year and miles.

What's so shitty about it?
I'll check out some other cars in the mean time.

These are bretty good SUVs too.

There are two in my area, fall within my price range. I'll have to check it out, its at the same dealership as the aforementioned Xterra.

Fuel economy of a Suburban without the power, payload, or parts availability.

Why are you buying from a dealer? Trying to finance a shitbox?

Read the sticky but ignore the Exploder.

>Trying to finance a shitbox?
Yeah, pretty much. I've never really had a ton of money. With that said I'm not strictly looking for an SUV, having one would just make it easier to move. How are Altimas?

>montero sport
No
>full size montero
Yes
There is a difference

The only reason to finance is to build credit, and it will cost you several thousand dollars extra to do so.

Get together $2-3k in cash and go buy a fullsize GM SUV.
They're cheap.
They're reliable.
They're comfortable.
They're easy to work on.
Parts are cheap and plentiful.
They'll retain nearly all of their value and may start to appreciate within the next decade.

If you go buy a Montero or Altima for $6k from a dealer now, it'll be worth $2k in three years and a dealer will give you $800 when you go to trade it in.

>Nissan
>dealership
>considering altimas

Yep, op is definitely a nigger

4 runners are garbage

>anemic as fuck motors
>frames known to rust to shit
>toyota tax worse than tacomas
>all of them are beat to shit and have high mileage

Do you wanna be seen as scumbag?

>wanting a fast SUV
>4runner frames are fine
>usually cheaper than tacomas
>all of them live forever
4runner a goat

How much cash can you afford to spend on a car? Do you have a car now? Do you even know your credit score? Do you have a job?

Not to mention you'll probably end up paying $8k making the minimum payments on that $6k loan.

I just brought a 4runner for 1400, yes the front bumper has rust and I need to replace a o2 sensor but other than that, it's pretty solid. Especially for what I paid for it

>wanting to be unable to keep up with traffic
>fine as in "good enough", not fine as in "no rust issues"
>that's not saying much at all
>no they don't.
4Runner a shit.

>frames are fine

>caring about what traffic thinks of you
>dont live in a shit area
>i say what i want
>yes they do

Basically none, but I had to shell out a bunch on an emergency. I have a Honda fit, but share it with my wife. Last car bought the farm. The only reason I need to get a new car soon is so that I can get to work as she just got a new job. My credit score is 725.
Nah, just uninformed and somewhat mislead.

>I'm slow as shit
>my frame is rusted out
>I paid way too much for what I got
>but it's all worth it because the badge on the grill gives me a false sense of security.

toyotas are the biggest fucking meme ever. morons always talk about "muh reliability" even though toyota has half a dozen models known for rusting away, and 4runners and pickups are known for blowing head gaskets

toyota is shit thread? toyota is shit thread

>i dont even own one
But i would because im not in a rust prone area and know how to work on my own vehicle
Plus who cares if it takes 20 seconds to reach 65mph.
Ill still get it before the on ramp is done.

aeiou I have one of these

Lol "keeping up with traffic"

Be sure to tell the judge that when you get clocked going 90 in a 55, I'm sure it'll all work out

And you're a fucking scumbag if you're speeding in a SUV in the first place

>but muh precious toyota

me 2 br/o/

>"get a toyota bro, they're super reliable"

>old vehicle is rusty

BREAKING NEWS, WATER IS WET

Being able to keep up with traffic does not mean constantly doing 35 over the speed limit. But you know that, don't you? You're just grasping at straws trying to twist cons as pros. Stop blindly defending absolute shit. They're overrated. Get over it.

can you not do a head gasket?

>africa
>thinking they give a fuck about their vehicles

Hes just a but hurt scumbag
Metal rusts in rust prone areas. Especially when you use your truck as a truck. And maybe not ever wash it.
Also im sure all those trucks still run and drive just fine

thats african?

is he seriously trying to shit on a brand by posting an AFRICAN OWNED VEHICLE as the standard of quality?

QUALITY SHITPOST

>"nothing a little sanding and bondo can't fix"

Keep sharing and saving until you have 2-3k. Then make another thread and post your local craigslist.

>But i would because im not in a rust prone area and know how to work on my own vehicle
That's the thing. They rust away in areas that are NOT rust prone, where other vehicles do not rust away.
And being able to work on your own vehicle doesn't turn mechanical and structural issues into pros. They're still cons.

It doesn't matter if you know how to work on your own vehicle or not, your Tacoma literally folding in half due to frame rot is a major fucking issue and the 4Runner frames rot just as bad.

Youre not too smart eh?
Stop talking to me moron

that's not the point, you moron. it shouldn't blow in the first place.

OP here, I'm looking at a 2002 4Runner with approx 88k miles for 8900. That seems a bit high.

Wow great reply. You really proved how reliable all Toyotas ever are. Would def buy one now. You made short post call someone moron. Much smart.

>"metal is meant to rust. it's fine"

It's a fucking SUV. If you want a fast car then don't buy a SUV it's that simple. Idiots like you are the ones who get people killed because you have a small dick complex.

And that's your opinion, a stupid one at that. The overwhelming opinion is Toyota's are solid cars. Just out of curiosity what's considered a good brand for you? Especially at ops budget

tell me more about these magic indestructible gaskets of yours

>That seems a bit high
Because it'd be worth $2500 without the Toyota badge.

Don't even bother looking at Toyotas. Look for GM.

are you retarded? i'm not saying that gaskets don't ever need to be changed. i'm saying that they shouldn't fucking blow under normal conditions and at low miles, way before there service interval.

Being able to keep up with traffic does not mean racing or even require being "fast"

Stop trying to twist being slow as shit as a pro. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, especially if you're paying more in order to not have it.

see

>GM
Kek
>GMs are garbage
>anemic as fuck motors
>frames known to rust to shit
>GM tax worse than tacomas
>all of them are beat to shit and have high mileage

>Buying a vehicle that blows gaskets every 20k instead of every 200k because "no gaskets are indestructible"

In what situation would you "need" to drive fast in a SUV? Other than being a nigger and stealing one

They go 200k without a blown headgasket.
And you know 20k is some bullshit you made up.
Just stop dude. Youre a retard

>yfw you think you're talking to the same guy who made that post

and since when do they actually do that

im sure you have some sort of credible source and not pictures of 30 year old vehicles in fucking Juarez or the middle east

>"i just love the reliability of my Toyota!"

>LS
>SBC
>BBC
GM has three of the best light truck engines ever made.

Everything rusts to shit in the rust belt. That does not excuse Toyotas for rusting to shit outside of the rust belt.

Generally the only full size SUVs you'll find cheaper than GMs are Expeditions which are known to be far less reliable.

Just stop while you're ahead. You're defending overpriced shit. The only person you're hyping up is yourself and you already said you don't even own one.
It would disappoint you if you did. Or would you still make excuses for it?

>light truck
>V8
No
>then says full size
Well which is it?
>making things up
Why would you do this?

Waiting to make a right on red with a fuck ton of traffic. The more power you have, the less room you need in between vehicles to safely accelerate. Do you even drive? This is every day stuff. It's a pain in the ass driving something underpowered.

Light truck does not mean 1/4 ton. Light truck refers to anything smaller than medium duty. But thanks for showing everyone that you know nothing about the topic at hand.

Here is my Monty and it's overheating pos transmission.

My '99 has the same problem kek.