Are there still people within europe that practice authentic paganism so and if not which people were the last true...

Are there still people within europe that practice authentic paganism so and if not which people were the last true pagans within europe ?

Other urls found in this thread:

slavorum.org/mari-the-last-pagans-in-europe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

"Paganism" was just a derogatory term for anyone who wasn't either Christian or Jewish. Technically Europe's currently being flooded with pagans from MENA

No.

Plenty in Asia and Africa though. But most white pagans would be deeply disturbed by that because it's not some casual fun BS like what they practice

I think Iceland still has some churches that have a continuous legacy with the old norse religion. Hellenists also exist and I think out of all the pre-christian faiths we have enough documentation of it to genuinely start it up again in the modern era. I don't know if they actually sacrifice at temples, probably not, but who knows.

I guess the last true pagans in Europe were the Baltics who were "converted" in some medieval crusade.

Actually is the Roman equivalent of Redneck.

Pagan refers to anything non-abrahamic

They didn't use the same term of "redneck" for Christians living in the countryside. The term was exclusively used for followers of non-abrahamic religions clinging to their idols and gladii in the countryside, whereas Christians styled themselves as the sophisticated, urban elite.

I basically meant this with paganism.

Well people could never do all the sacrifices and shit that their ancestors did.

I don't think it could come back without being watered down a lot tb h.

Sami maybe?

They wouldn't've seen Islam as Abrahamic. There Christians who referred to Muslims as "pagans" in the middle ages

swedes

Cause they didnt know what the hell Islam was, Muslims are shown as polytheists who pray to different gods.

Maybe I'm thinking "Heathen."

Pagan comes from the Latin "Paganus" though which just meant "villager/rustic"

>Celebrating midsummer
The Brits are so fucking gay lol

It just depends on who you ask jews see christians as pagans while christians see muslims as pagans and muslims see non abrahamic religions as pagan.

>jews see christians as pagans
Idk if that's true. I think they just separate the world into superior Jews and subhuman goyim and just leave it at that.

Paganism is kind of big in Iceland and in the Baltics.

How big would you say ?

Visible.

For you.

>authenthic

Only these guys here:
slavorum.org/mari-the-last-pagans-in-europe/
There were another slanteyed ugric group in norway that got christianisized in the 18th century.
Also-not really european but I include-8% of the abkhazian population in the caucausus are still polytheists with stuff like bullsacrifiece and all that jazz.

Besides that just shoddy reconstructivists and new age scum.
American protestants would deem a lot of our catholic and the eastern church as quiete pagan though.

Oh. Sorry I'm slow with memes.

Roman Catholics

>Roman Catholics
African fetishism doesn't count.

It really isn't.

t. Lithuanian

What I want to know is if they're are written documentation by the Romans on the druids of Britain or if there are archaeology books shedding light on pre-Roman religious practises, because I saw in a bbc documentary that they even carried out human sacrifice hinting at appeasing some super natural forces. I'm not interested necessarily in the human sacrifice part but what the actually believed in.

We basically don't know anything about the druids. Caesar's book equating them with philosophers is generally accepted as an outright lie in order to garner support for his campaigns in Gaul by making them seem more civilized.

If I remember right we either have very few or no archeological finds relating to the druids so basically you're shit out of luck. They probably maintained sacrifices like other pagan priests of the era but anything more than that is speculation.

Thanks for the reply.

Even the Mari have lived alongside Christianity for a long, long time, and pretty much all of them have been baptized. Some of them (studies have put the figure at about a third of them) might practice some form of syncretism, but it's not the kind of "authentic" paganism that the OP was asking about.

In Europe, it doesn't exist anymore. Every population was exposed to Christianity and most converted. Native religions for the most part weren't written about (like with the Druids, who we know almost nothing about), or were only written about in skewed accounts by Christians (like Norse religion), so we can't even be sure how accurate they are. Hellenistic religions might be the best understood, but it stopped being practiced long ago. At this point, European paganism is syncretic at best and LARPing in most cases.

Go back to /pol/

Paganism did die out completely in all of Europe, but has been revived to a lesser extent in many countries. In terms of what country was converted last, I believe Sweden was actually last.

For some reason, Swedish kings maintained the worship of the old gods all the way up until the 12th century at which point the rest of the population was converted rather peacefully compared to Norway and Iceland.

>which people were the last true pagans within europe ?
The Baltic countries were extremely late to the party when it came to Christianization, some 15-16th Century.

Then there are individual smaller communities like: There's a lot of immigration going, on, so any immigrant practicing a non-Abrahamic ancestral religion in Europe, like Hinduism, also count.