Can anyone explain to me the purpose of these two "spoilers"? Do they even do anything?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of these two "spoilers"? Do they even do anything?

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/5390985/50000-ultima-gtr-shatters-16-million-ferrari-fxx-top-gear-track-record
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Like any spoiler or "wing" generate downforce on the rear wheels to maintain contact and traction.

So why are they the only ones to use a non-full-length spoiler then? Does this config make any more downforce or anything?

I would guess it's a compromise between downforce and drag
Works for that car, might not for others

"The front of the car has a large splitter and twin-profile spoiler, the headlights are very small for improving aerodynamics. In the rear, the tail is higher and includes a mobile spoiler with a tailfin and a small wing in the end of each fin to maximize the downforce."

it has a full length spoiler and it's active, it moves around depending on speed or braking

It makes less down force but probably more focused on the wheels than having some of it pushing on the middle of the car where the spoiler would be
the vents under he spoilers are actually spoilers too in that they create down force, the air scoops down and then bounces up
Not sure about that vent on the side in front of the rear wheel but it probably also does the same

Maybe it's more for straight line stability rather than downforce

Seeing as the LaFerrari which the FXXK is based on has a movable spoiler, and how the FXXK has the panel gap, I think the retractable spoiler may fit together for a full rear spoiler at high speeds.

>Do they even do anything?
I guess they raise the cars appeal to middle-easterners by at least 200%

>At the rear of the Ferrari FXX K, Ferrari's aerodynamic engineers have created a taller tail section, and also fitted a vertical fin and small spoiler to the end of each rear 1/4 panel. These small spoilers are designed to work with the main rear wing - which can be extended for more downforce, or retracted for a higher top speed. When the spoiler is retracted the small fins act as guide vanes for the air flowing around the car, and when the spoiler is extended they increase its efficiency by channeling air over it.

Why do you fucking care fucking nobody on Veeky Forums can fucking afford a fucking Ferrari that fucking new

They are designed to generate downforce where it matters.

Look at where they sit, now look at where the roof is. Those little fins are generating downforce on the outside and where there would usually be non.

OK yeah that make sense. I'm getting the gap is really just clearance for the active spoiler

>thinks people on Veeky Forums are Ferrari engineers

Fasteraon straights because less drag and in the braking zones the middle wing comes out.
Pretty good design imo.

This was such a nice thread why do you have to go and type this out and mess with us speed LARPers

>implying our dads don't work at Ferrari.

Pffft my shitboxes has active aero I just put the windows up or down

They're wings not spoilers.

It's not full length because they are compromising between drag and downforce.

Your dad does? Okay tell me about the secrets in making a car so unreliable.

A bit. Know anything about aero? Well, not if you're posting this thread.

IMHO, it looks like an aesthetic move more than pure science. But, the cockpit spoils air going to the wing, so you might have seen wings that looks quite deformed, curved at the center, to avoid unnecessary drag and increases top speed.

A full sized rear wing would be fine at a different chord, thickness and pitch angle.

A nearly flat looking wing with 10 to 15 degrees of pitch and a properly fitted gurney flap would produce much more down force with less drag.

Ferrari know this and this is why their actual race cars have real wings.

Yeah you have no idea what you're talking about.

>autistic screeching

Cool. You do?

What an ugly car. What the fuck happened to Ferrari? They used to produce art, now they produce Lamborghini-tier trash.

Yeah. I know how a gurney flap works. And I'm positive the engineers at Ferrari do to.
You know since they design some of the most amazing pieces of engineering on the planet.

>u know since they design some of the most amazing pieces of engineering on the planet

A fucking british built kit car beat the FXX on the top gear test track... on street tires.

jalopnik.com/5390985/50000-ultima-gtr-shatters-16-million-ferrari-fxx-top-gear-track-record

>inb4 autistic screeching

I'm talking about Formula 1 cars, bud

>Ferrari
>F1

You haven't been watching in the last 9 years, have you?

>Shatters
>less than a second quicker

>no mention of driver
>no mention of conditions
>no mention of tires
>no mention of how much testing or total laps each driver did

why are the british so beta. schumi prob just showed up burned a lap for top gear and then left.
these autismos probably tested all weekend.

That doesn't really negate his claim in any way.

Not an argument.

I'm sure Anonymous 12/29/16 knows more than the engineers at Ferrari though, despite doing no wind tunnel or cfd on this car and using only his eyes. I'll forward them this thread so they can make the needed adjustments to their million dollar car.

>implying the entire might and force of Ferrari weren't present during his power lap
>implying they didn't have the entire team of mechanics and engineers preparing the car for that lap
>not knowing Ferrari ran on slicks which is why the lap was taken off the leader board
>Still beaten by a roughly 80 grand kit car

Badgefags are the fucking worst.

It doesn't? I thought the quest was to be the fastest.

>not winning in 9 years isn't an argument
>after claiming F1 engineering superiority
>claims Ferrari are pinnacle of engineering achievement

Adrian Newey kekd heartedly, and Mercedes just had a laff.

>mfw Ferrari badgefags try to imply their Italian meme company can engineer their way out of a paper bag

The XX-models always were ugly. They are about speed not looks.

I'm not a badgefag I'm just not stupid enough to think some teenager on Veeky Forums can possibly analyze the aerodynamics of a race car with his eyes from 100 feet away because he watched a youtube video once on airfoil design.

You're embarrassing yourself

>I'll forward them this thread so they can make the needed adjustments to their million dollar car.

Christian just had a belly laugh.

>I'm not a badgefag

mmhmm

Do you know who built the F1-Mercedes since 2014? Aldo Costa, former Ferrari-designer.

hey look it's the same wings as the fxx-k

Neat

that's actually a super cool fact

As expected you're a memer who doesn't actually know shit. At least you tried.
Feel free to time stamp your aerospace engineering diploma at any time. I'll check back after work.

>I thought the quest was to be the fastest.
I'm sure that's a pretty big part of their goal. But another car being faster than theirs doesn't really mean that they haven't put a ton of great engineering into their car.

I mean, you can have a highly technical car like an S2000 getting beat by a brutish car like a Mustang GT, it doesn't change the fact that the S2000 is a technologically impressive car.

Here's your (you).

>gets utterly butt blasted by something so trivial
>calls me a memer

I think they refer to this as winning the argument because the opposition resorted to ad hominem without presenting evidence regarding the argument other than, "yo dawg, they are an authority on this shit, yo. They got this and you don't know shit dawg."

(you)

lmao kid just got btfo

Butt blasted? I was laughing at how autistic you are.

>Well actually you see Ferrari could have used a different chord length and angle of attack
ahahahahah

Stay retarded, you got btfo in this thread. Better luck next time.

You know what Ferrari designer didn't do?

Win at Ferarri.

delicious

Your opinion would almost look intelligent if the OP car didn't have a third wing between those two winglets, but it does and you are dumb

The Ultima is basically a silhouette race car on street tyres, it is very very quick. The Ferrari still resembles a monocoqued road car at least.

>I mean, you can have a highly technical car like an S2000 getting beat by a brutish car like a Mustang GT, it doesn't change the fact that the S2000 is a technologically impressive car.

>s2000
>impressive

get the fuck out

>Ferrari
>aerodynamics
MAMA MIA AND-A MEAT-A BALL GUISEPPE JUST PUT A BIGGER ENGINE IN IT

>Better Italian automakers

nice C7

Probably air diffusers you autistic faggot

Build it in Italy

that picture isn't accurate

Then make it accurate for us bro my photoshop skills are fail
old porsche 65.4" wide x 51.8" high
New porsche 71.2" wide x 51" high

Real one straight from motorauthority
> literally 45 second google search

Now that's just brilliant engineering

I'll give you that he used a bad example, but plenty of impressive cars aren't fast. Certain utility cars, even stuff like the Fisker. The quest may be to be fast in racing, but to argue that the F cars never gave anything to the automotive world is just ignorant.

I'm not much of a Ferrari fan but that's like saying the Third Reich never created anything impressive. It's just not true.

when you meet her vs 5 years after marriage

The vents on the side are most likely for cooling the engine/brakes

Because knowledge is power, and in some ways, this may be useful information to those of us who like to become more intelligent, even if we have no idea the need for such knowledge is going to arise. And because we like cars. GTFO Veeky Forums.

The vent right in front of the small wing is actually the main air intake for the engine (you can see in pic related the two ducts that connect to the two airboxes, the rest of the duct that goes to the vent is mounted on the bonnet), the big vents behind the doors are mainly for cooling brakes and various stuff around the engine, you can see in the picture that there is a bigass duct where the big vents should be (right under the two fuel ports) and it partially goes to the engine.
IIRC the radiators are in front of the car.

Thanks bud.

this