Why is there a sticky on buying cars, but there isn't one on maintaining cars?

Why is there a sticky on buying cars, but there isn't one on maintaining cars?

Oil changes, spark plugs, coolant flushs, wheel alignments, etc. How/when should I do all this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

suzukiauto.com/Service Provider.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read your manual and use common sense. Coolant brown? Flush it.

Because it is different for most every cars.
RTFM

My car didn't come with a manual.

Did your car come with an
AUTOMATIC then?

Yes.

I was just thinking general tips and common knowledge everyone should have about maintenance.

I take it most people had a dad or uncle who taught them all about cars and how to take care of them, but I didn't have that, and I want it.

Be my dad, Veeky Forums.

>You're breaking my heart Veeky Forums.

Guess I'll go back to the stickers shitposting thread...

That's what chrisfix is for.

That's the entire ointment of the QTDDTOT series. You ask about your specific car there and someone familiar with it answers.

Your car is full of stuff (oil, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, air that needs to be kept fresh and filled to the appropriate levels. Learn what they all do, how to check and change them and you'll be ahead of 90% of idiots.

>caring about stickers before bothering to learn about basic maintenance.
You deserve this.

we were talking about the owners manual dumbass. You know. That little book that came with the car that sits in the glovebox that you never ever read?
That book has the maintenance schedule in it for your car telling you what to replace at what mileage, which oil to use, which fuel to use, how to use certain features, etc.

>Implying I even know how to breathe automatically

>if you buy a car second hand
Replace ALL filters and fluids (not just oil filter, do fuel filter and air filter etc). All fluids.

>Read owners manual (find it online if it doesn't have it). Follow the recommended maintenance from then on.

Don't believe the seller actually changed the fluids when they said they did

1. Open drain plug
2. Close drain plug
3. Fill with proper fluid

Then ebay one you retard

My car didn't come with an ebay.

vehicles differ widely in equipment and component design
vehicle owners should familiarize themselves with the owners manual
replacement owners manuals can be sourced through the dealership

Dealerships no longer exist for my car.

CARLOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSS

what car?
If it's a Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Hummer or Saab, then any Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac dealer can get you parts.
If it's a Scion, any Toyota or Lexus dealer can get it.
If it's a Mercury, go to Ford or Lincoln.
If it's a Suzuki, check Suzuki North America's website to find out where you can get your parts.
suzukiauto.com/Service Provider.aspx

My car didn't come with a name brand.

>My car didn't come with a manual.
You never bothered to check your car manufacturer's website then. Or call their tollfree customer service number. My car maker has downloadable manuals and care guides for free at their website.

Currently in mechanic school, i might write up a small guide about maintenance and tips. Would do it if a lot of people appreciate having one.

than it's not a car and you're retarded

Would like a recommendation of items for the basic DIY inspection and minor maintenance owner. For example, jacks, jack stands, and ramps. I don't like the idea of cast iron jack stands at harbor freight even though they are affordable. But what is the alternative that is still affordable?

Cant tell u much about jack stands, i use cheapos myself, havent had really problem with although i did notice in the workplace the better quality stuff looks way more durable and trusty so its up to u, are going to jack ur car up often? Then i would go for the more durable, if not then cheapos shouldnt be that harmful. Just for security, leave the jack on it as well.
Good tools are important as well. Ive had cheap stuff break as soon as i got to a bolt that was way too tight. I could write a lot more but im gonna see if could get myself motivated to do it

Seconding this. Just do it faggot, it would benefit you since you will assert what you are learning in mechanic school.

DDDOOOOOOO IIITTTTTTTTTT