Alright Veeky Forums, I've just returned home from one of the worst test drives of my entire life

Alright Veeky Forums, I've just returned home from one of the worst test drives of my entire life.

>LS400
>$1000 OBO
>Craigslist ad has only 3 pics and a laundry list of replaced parts
>"How bad can it be?"
>Call sellers up and agree to meet in a McDonalds parking lot
>Lesbian couple rolls up in the LS400 and another shitbox I cannot remember
>Look the thing over, exterior is in great shape, lots of new vacuum lines and such
>"We haven't driven it in a month so there might be some things from it sitting"
>Interior is ok at best
>No A/C
>Cold ass day in Wisconsin
>Turn on the heater
>"It kinda works, defroster doesn't though"
>See smoke rising from the vents
>Try to ascertain what it is, can't really tell, imagine it's just dust but instincts are telling me it's something far more sinister
>"Ok test drive time"
>Take it out
>Smoke rises in greater quantities through the back vents
>Realize that this car literally has exhaust being piped into it via the HVAC system
>Roll all windows down and turn heater off
>Smoke still seeping into the cabin
>Drive like hell to get back to the parking lot before I am asphyxiated by this old POS Lexus
>"How'd you like it user?"
>Literally step out of the car gasping for air because I'd taken a few good whiffs of the smoke before it dawned on me what was happening
>"Fuck this car, this thing is actually dangerous to drive"
>Take many deep breaths to cleanse my respiratory system as I wait for the bus to take me back home
>Get text from the couple
>"Wow you're such a douchebag asshole, nobody disrespects us like that" yadda yadda yadda
>Get home
>Make this thread

There were other problems with it too, but I was too busy hanging my head out the window to get fresh air to even care. Fucking hell Veeky Forums.

Was some mechanic trying to kill them?

Thats kinda fucked up, even by 4chans standards

was the exhaust loud, or have a hole in it from what you could tell?

I drove my minivan like that for awhile after it's exhaust fell off right where the sliding door was at.

The sellers told me that they'd bought the car about a year ago from someone who flipped cars for a living, so any number of sketchy things could have been up with it.

To be honest, I feel kinda bad for being such an asshole about it but at the same time you can fucking tell when you're pulling in something that's not good air into your lungs, and it was genuinely scary to feel that sensation of breathing in completely useless air. It felt like breathing in fog from a fog machine but worse. It felt strange.

The saying goes "run, don't walk" from shit like this. I may as well have been motherfucking Usain Bolt as I tried to get the hell away from this pile.

That's the trouble, it didn't sound unusual at all inside or out. Maybe when I got on the throttle, but I was also pretty well focused on other things like not getting killed by the car. Didn't have time to soak in all the details.

Could it have been coolant fog coming up out of the vents? Bad heater core? I know if the valve cover gaskets are bad then you get oil smoke coming in through the HVAC in the ls400.

>>LS400
>>$1000 OBO
>>"How bad can it be?"

You're a fucking retard, those weren't exhaust fumes, it's the heater matrix that's fucked and leaking coolant.

Also, unsafe to breath. I'd chalk it up to being asphyxiated.

Never buy cars from lesbos unless they're hocking a sweet forester xt

If they didn't tell you it's a literal death trap, you should call the police because they intend to do it to other people too.

$1000 sounds right for an average LS4000.

They cost so fucking much to maintain. A Cosmo is more reliable.

Somewhat related - I have a 2000 LS400 to sell, 150k miles. Interior and exterior in bad shape, but mechanically good. Tires and brakes are getting pretty worn... how would you guys price it?

Post text OP!

>interior and exterior in bad shape
>tires and brakes are getting pretty worn
you would be lucky to get 1500

how badly is it shaped?
the power of the of a VVT-i LS400 is great but really those cars are marketed for normalfags, you need to make it look clean in order to sell it.

>>They cost so fucking much to maintain. A Cosmo is more reliable.

what the fuck is this post?

it's obvious bait is what it is

This.
Post the screenshot text OP, or forever be full of shit.

holy fuck you sound like an overdramatic faggot

>$1000 sounds right for an average LS400

You've been hanging around too many shitty examples neglected by their owners. In my experience, a Lexus under $5000 for even the earliest F10 is suspect and

How dare you make up this bullshit story to defame the Jesuscar of Veeky Forums in such a blasphemous way.

I never understood the obsession with these cars. Sure, they were good when they were new, but they cost way too much for the kind of mileage you typically see. I bought a 2005 LeSabre, fully loaded, with 45k on it, for 5 grand. A quick scan of my local Craigslist finds anything in comparable condition, this Buick was fucking perfect, to be far more expensive. Some guy wanted 22 grand for a 99 with about 70k on it. One guy wanted 10 grand for a 2000 with 220k. The truth is, while the Buick isn't quite as nice a car, it's better on gas, probably just as reliable if you simply fucking take care of it, and if something does break, it's going to cost peanuts to repair.

Sounds sketchy, but you probably wouldn't even notice the effects of the exhaust fumes until you brothe it for at least 15 minutes, and even then if the windows were rolled down there'd be enough fresh air coming in that it wouldn't matter.

And besides how the fuck would exhaust be getting into the air system anyway? It would literally have to leak from the exhaust manifold in large amounts, and you'd have noticed that right away because the engine would have sounded like a fucking 2 stroke chainsaw being revved to all piss.

Sounds more likely that there was just tons of stinky shit in the vents and air ducts and you got paranoid for no reason and imagined you were choking on carbon monoxide. Go back and offer $500 for it and clean it up and enjoy the pinnacle of Japanese luxury.

>probably just as reliable if
Stopped reading.

A timing belt every 100k mikes is all an LS usually needs. Pls refrain from comparing your GMshit to the god-brand.

>brothe

This is autism in action. I had a 97 LeSabre back when I was a broke student and I drove that fucker for over 100k miles before it got rear ended, and all I ever had to do was change the fluids and the water pump went south once, which cost me all of 20$.

>hurrr Buick parts are cheap

So are Toyota parts.

This

I'm betting it isn't the price of the pump that he's worried about, which incidentally is about 10x as much, it's probably the procedure. You can do a water pump on a 3800 in about 20 minutes with a two sockets. I think the Lexus calls for like 6hrs in labor alone.

do you think the mechanic met them, found them as insufferable as they sound and was trying to kill them?

Probably because the Lexus is built with high quality materials as well as incredible manufacturing prowess. Meanwhile, the GM is made of Tupperware by drunks and niggers.

Although anecdotes mean nothing, it's great that user had a positive service experience with a GM.

Wow you're a dick.

Here's a picture of an anons odometer, not sure if he still comes to Veeky Forums or not. 2000's Buick regal

Wew lad.

>Some guy wanted 22 grand for a 99 with about 70k on it. One guy wanted 10 grand for a 2000 with 220k.

i don't know where you're coming up with these numbers, but you can get an LS430 for well under $10k. no one is paying $10k for an LS400.

>You can do a water pump on a 3800 in about 20 minutes with a two sockets. I think the Lexus calls for like 6hrs in labor alone.

this is because it's done at the same time as the belt/tensioners. the water pump is driven by the timing belt and is never a point of failure before the belt needs to be serviced.

it's more like 4 hours though.

>Wow you're such a douchebag asshole, nobody disrespects us like that
Lesbians.jpg