/lisg/ - Life is Strange General #456

''Winter'' Edition

Previous Thread: Life is Strange is an episodic interactive drama from DONTNOD Entertainment. Set in the Pacific Northwest in the town of Arcadia Bay, the player follows the story of Maxine Caulfield and her seemingly newfound ability to turn hella gay and rewind time. At the prestigious Blackwell Academy, Max must prepare with Chloe Price for the incoming storm of returning to her hometown after five years. Available on Steam, PSN and Xbox Live.

>Official Website:
lifeisstrange.com

>Steam:
store.steampowered.com/app/319630
steamcommunity.com/groups/4chanlisg

>/lisg/ Permalink:
orph.link/lisg

>FAQs, Old Threads/Strawpolls, Soundtrack/Music & Leaks:
orph.link/lisgarchive

>/lisg/ Community Written Fan Fiction (Continuation WHEN):
orph.link/story

>Compilation of Fanfics:
orph.link/fanfic

>/lisg/ Content Producers:
imgur.com/a/DOAKn

>/lisg/ sings:
youtube.com/watch?v=pQJgF3NToUg
youtube.com/watch?v=WjPsOkijFh0

>Strawpolls:
strawpoll.me/11794775
strawpoll.me/11794798

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11965358
instaud.io/kVV
instaud.io/kWb
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Tornado)
archiveofourown.org/works/8699260?view_full_work=true
youtube.com/watch?v=rhvZxmgLfNA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's Chloe "When I see a smiley, I get wily" Price's problem with emojis?

strawpoll.me/11965358
strawpoll.me/11965358

Daily reminder that everything that happens past Chloe getting shot is in max's head, trying to deal with her best friend dying after she waited years to contact her, even after she got back to arcadia bay. The "nightmare" at the end is her subconsciousness trying to get her to back to reality. Sacrificing chloe is accepting her death and moving on, and sacrificing arcadia bay is letting the tornado (her grief) wipe her out and going insane. All the people in the cafe in her dream represents the people that will "die" for her if she goes insane, and the edgy "cereal" max she is talking to is the part of max's mind that wants to accept reality and snap out of it, while chloe represents the opposite part.

Going from max the socially awkward to being max the awesome superhero saving the day and befriending everyone with her time powers reflects her delusion that she can make everything perfect and reverse chloes death. Those being mad about the endings and that the choices you made didn't have an effect on it is missing the entire message the game is trying to convey. Being left empty at the end is your way to feel max's pain and hopefully also accept chloe's death in the same painful way she did.

k a t e
a
t
e

No idea (^_^)

max is best girl!

Max is not to be objectified.

Basically, she cannot handle the cuteness-levels when Max does them. She won't often care to point out "NOEMOJI" to other people.

I agree with not using emojis regularly, all the more so in private chats. It encourages a chat culture where people feel their tone is off without an emoji, and from there quickly they feel compelled to add one (and more) to every second sentence and it just doesn't mean anything anymore - the writer does them automatically out of habit and compulsion; the reader equally doesn't register them. The sentiment is lost in that obligatoriness.

How does this stupidest-of-all pasta persist? It starts out making no sense whatsoever (Max doesn't even know it's Chloe), and gets even more retarded from there. Stop.

>Max doesn't even know it's Chloe

That represents her denial.

She is in denial about the person she managed to save the life of being Chloe, because she doesn't want to accept that Chloe died? Stop.

Max is #1

Keep in mind this isn't a theory about the actual plot of the game, it's mearly an interpretation of the game's potential symbolic meaning.

In the plot, yes, Max for sure saves Chloe. But in a symbolic interpretation you could argue that "Saving Chloe", and using her time powers represents Max's denial about her friend dying. Denial is the first stage of grief, and through the game Max slowly moves towards acceptance. The storm at the end can be seen as a representation of Max's grief, and by finally moving to the final stage: acceptence, grief will go away and she can get closure.

>As Max and Chloe are leaving the ruins of Arcadia Bay behind, there's one more tragic story unfolding
>Alice and Lisa stuck in Max's room, Alice hasn't eaten anything in days, the dorms are destroyed and no one comes looking for them
>"No one's gonna come save us, this is the end, we'll starve to death..."
>Alice...you can survive this and go back to your owner. All you have to do is... all you have to do is eat me."
>"What? No, fuck that. Lisa, you're my number one priority, I'm not eating you!"
>"Alice, think about it... how many times this week did you try to nibble my leafs? I'm a plant, Alice, you're a bunny, maybe it's time I accept my destiny... OUR destiny."
>"Lisa, I can't make this choice!"
>"No Alice, you're the only one who can"

>eat Lisa
instaud.io/kVV

>eat your own foot
instaud.io/kWb

Keep in mind that it's an interpretation that does not fit the game. Contradicts it in many ways. But sure, keep it. But stop posting your broken-english pasta here, will you.

Their love is the purest.

>Keep in mind that it's an interpretation that does not fit the game

Obivously I don't agree, I think it fits the game very well. But I guess that's one of the most powerful things about art: the many ways it can be subjectively interpreted.

Why the Arcadia Bay population doesn't have any sense of self-preservation?

'''OHH A FUCKING HUGE TORNADO IS COMING I'M GONNA STAND HERE LIKE A IDIOT AND DO NOTHING AT ALL''

yeah like, run away lmao

Michel took them hostage and tied them down inside their own houses

>tornado didn't even destroy some old shitty buildings but somehow managed to ''kill'' the whole town

I think Michel killed them, not the tornado.

Interpretations are not merely about opinion. An interpretation can be more or less fitting in objective terms, and I have pointed out how your interpretation objectively does not fit the game.

To start, the "stages of grief" are proven a grave misrepresentation of psychological reality, a romanticized concept of trauma that actual science despises and fights to get out of people's heads - so even if the game were dealing with that concept, it would at best be a musing on something that's bullshit and can actually be harmful if people believe in it.

Then you ignore the fact that Max does not recognize Chloe. She saves "a poor girl". If she were in denial about her best friend dying, she would not be in denial about having saved said friend. That's just objectively paradoxical and would make the writing even more non-sensical.

Then there's the idea that Max would deal with the grief of her friend dying... by contriving a world in which she dies more often, more brutally, a world in which there's pain and suffering for said friend and herself. A world in which she reconnects and builds an imbreakably strong bond to this person she is supposedly working to accept the death of? That does not make any psychological or narrative sense.

The entire "symbolical" interpretation of the whole week as merely in her mind, the rewind as denial, the storm as grief, the death of others as her insanity, the nightmare that's actually an surrealistic over-exaggeration of her fears and insecurities that keep her from living her "real" life being an attempt to get her back to a reality? - That's just taken out of nowhere. There's no appreciable quality in that perspective, the symbolism does not work out at all.

Not to mention that your pasta talks about how everyone else is "missing the entire message". I always thought you were baiting and mostly didn't bother to reply to it, but that you actually stand by that pasta you've been endlessly posting is even worse.

He tried to kill them.

The key word being "tried".

>storm is max's grief
>storm happens before traumatic event occurs
sure, why not
life is strange after all

>To start, the "stages of grief" are proven a grave misrepresentation of psychological reality, a romanticized concept of trauma that actual science despises and fights to get out of people's heads
Symbolism isn't invalid just because what's referenced isn't scientifically correct.

>Then you ignore the fact that Max does not recognize Chloe. She saves "a poor girl". If she were in denial about her best friend dying, she would not be in denial about having saved said friend. That's just objectively paradoxical and would make the writing even more non-sensical.
That's a fair point.

>Then there's the idea that Max would deal with the grief of her friend dying... by contriving a world in which she dies more often, more brutally, a world in which there's pain and suffering for said friend and herself
That's because Max is in an internal struggle with herself, one part in denial and another moving towards acceptance. Obvious examples of this is Chloe dying over and over again.

>Not to mention that your pasta talks about how everyone else is "missing the entire message". I always thought you were baiting and mostly didn't bother to reply to it, but that you actually stand by that pasta you've been endlessly posting is even worse.
The pasta is maybe exaggerated a bit, but I do stand by the core message of it.

>The Great Tri-State Tornado of Wednesday, March 18, 1925 was the deadliest tornado in U.S. history. It was also the most exceptional tornado of a major outbreak of at least twelve known significant tornadoes across a large portion of the Midwestern and Southern U.S. It alone inflicted 695 fatalities (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Tornado)
>It alone inflicted 695 fatalities
>but they want us to believe that the whole AB population died

I dunno why but after playing LiS I became interested on this subject about natural disasters. Also, I started watching a lot of documentaries and spending my time reading about it on Wikipedia.

>symbolism isn't invalid
Wasn't making that argument, just saying it would be essentially meaningless (and even harmful?) to understand the message to be one about dealing with grief in stages, because that understanding of grief is wrong (and potentially harmful).

>internal struggle
While this could be argued, I just cannot see how her denial of Chloe's death, her fear of it, would be on the one hand strong enough to create an entire world full of time travel and magic and spirit animals... but on the other, she would confront herself with that death multiple times in even more brutal and traumatizing fashion. It doesn't make psychological sense (we know victims escape into a positive denial-reality to deal with a reality they cannot accept), and not narrative (it's about the journey to overcome the death of an old friend you lost contact with... through building an all-transcending connection to them?!).

I can see how it could be (and how the devs probably thought it is, to an extent or another) a "journey toward acceptance". I obviously don't consider that interpretation to be "invalid"; there's still a lot of things you can argue don't fit, or that the writing does not tell that story well... but it is a possible interpretation, and if people get a sense of "there's a life after losing something so incredibly dear and precious to us" out if it, who am I to try and take that away? And so even when I cannot see it as that, when it simply, absolutely isn't that to me, I can see the optimism it can hold for others as that.

I was arguing against the interpretative specifics that I just don't see fit the game by any reasonable stretch, some directly contradicting it. Maybe some of them more than I let on there, but still not appreciably so that I'd feel inclined to even entertain the interpretation they are mis-portrayed to support.

>archiveofourown.org/works/8699260?view_full_work=true
This story makes me want to play a game starring Kate and Vicky.

>maybe exaggerated
It's directly contentious in how it presents itself. The fact that you keep posting it, is.

The general is decidedly Bae > Bay, and there's a thousand-and-one Bae pastas people could be posting in support of that ending and how they think it is the only true, right, sensical, powerful, meaningful, whatever ending - some of them bullshit, some of them acceptable and sensible, some of them overwhelmingly convincing, emotionally and otherwise -, but still nobody feels the need to copy-pasta their opinions and interpretations about it ceaselessly... why do you?

But was it a magic EF6 tornado? :^)

No Michel, EF6 tornadoes don't exist.

Anything is possible if you use your imagination :)

Michel's imagination made Warryn into a street fighter in 3 days.

Anything is possible in his world. :)

These two are at it again? Great.
Please cast them for the series

Max is in denial about Chloe's death- she DENIED it from happening. Just as others deny death from claiming someone when they save them from a medial issue, fire, or other form of peril.
Max was in the right spot, at the right time, and was given the right tools. She used them to save someone (Who she didn't even recognize) and if you think that's wrong, or deserves punishment, then you are the bad person.

Yeah, that stuff is fascinating. I've watched and read some stuff as well, though I've had some interest in it before LiS. Keep in mind that was in 1925 so there was little-to-no warning systems and less sturdy construction.

BFFs, Pirates, Partners in Time & Crime & In Love, Fellow Dorks, GFs, Wives.
OTP.
youtube.com/watch?v=rhvZxmgLfNA

You're late this time.

I know. But better late than never.

Hella cute! It's missing the first part though

Poor Chloe...
She talks so big, but then gets nervous when it comes to someone she actually really likes. It's so cute.
Even in the game she's left speechless whenever Max takes the initiative. You can really see the little girl she tried locking away under the ink and dye.

Chloe is cute

You're cute too, user.

Are they actually a couple or what?
I like their vibe.

U2 :3

I've heard they are, but I don't know.
Maybe they actually are this universe's Max and Chloe, must be weird to see yourself in a video game.

>must be weird to see yourself in a video game.

;_;

When it comes to men in LiS, Daniel's not that bad.

At least he's not Warryn.

Warren's not even that bad. His awkwardness only harms himself.

Best video game protagonist ever! (For me.)

Max a best. Chloe an also best. Together they are a bestest.

Are you gonna vote for LiS, right?

LiS is up for a Steam award for game that made you cry.

Probably gonna vota, but honestly, I'm not sure I want more mainstream attention for LiS at this point. Not much good has come out of recent waves of attention.

On another note: These three cheeky buggers met just before Christmas, and are according to themselves working together again. LiS2, here we come.

Pricefield a bestest!

Don't know how much of a chance LiS has to win.
More attention would probably be a mixed bag: More people getting interested could make S2 a bigger hit, but if those people just gobble up everything blindly then it supports shoddy writing.
I really wish there was a A LOT more outcry after Polarized and that more people noticed just how bad the ending was when affixed to the rest of the story.

Just voted!
We probably don't have much chance of winning anyway, the Undertale fanbase is pure weaponized autism

There I voted, we better win

Was the voting for the overall game? I thought it was for one episode.

It's for the entire game, obviously since every episode has its own Steam page they couldn't put them all on the list

Yeah. I fully expect TWD or Undertale to win.

Are the other two guys next to Michel Dontnod devs?

Yet another hint that the sequel is in the works in at least some form.
Artists back to work at Dontnod, Devs meeting up, hints that VAs are being given roles.
Still definitely a long ways off from release though.

Chloe messing with Max's camera again
Nice shot tho

I want S2 to have a villain with the same or similar power as the MC.
I thought we were going to get that with Jefferson, Nathan, or Sean. I was looking forward to a timelord battle and puzzle.

>To start, the "stages of grief" are proven a grave misrepresentation of psychological reality
Stopped reading here. You want to know why Freud is still loved by literary critics despite the well-established illegitimacy of his ideas?
Because he was a visionary on what SEEMED to be true regarding human action and psychology, while fiction likewise deals with simulacra of human behavior rather than a genuine reflection of objective reality.
I haven't read whatever theory you are replying to, but attacking an exegesis on the grounds that it uses discredited psychology is nonsense. It's akin to attacking Paradise Lost because creationism isn't true.

But user, the real villain of the series is Michel, so that's already a thing

All these pieces of fan art, it's too much for my little heart.

Make his NPC the big bad and have him voice act it. I'd give major props to that. The game's director being the true villain all along.

ANY art of Pricefield is lovely. Even if it's stick figures with blue hair/beanie and brownhair.
It's the idea that makes them cute. But the well-made, especially hand drawn stuff, makes it even better!

>Season 2
>Bae ending confirmed canon, Max and Chloe are living together in Seattle
>Max has a vision of a meteor storm that threatens to destroy the town and kill Chloe and her family
>spend all episodes trying to solve another mistery and avoid the tragedy
>right before the end, when the meteor storm is about to hit the city, Max discover that she can not only travel between alternate realities, but also between different dimensions
>finds herself in a dimension similiar to her own, except her story is actually just a videogame in this reality
>final choice involves letting Seattle getting destroyed by the meteor storm or killing the videogame director to stop it from happening

>Michel Koch is actually found dead in the Dontnod studio the day after the last episode ships

Reminder that 'Life is strange' is actually the title of Maxine Price's first published book. The photos you take in the game are the ones included in the book and the diary/dialogue is some of the text on its pages. It's a story about Max's most defining period of her life, how she learned to gain confidence in herself, her wok, and how she reunited with her best friend and now wife.

Pick up your copies from bookstores, online, or from the giftshop of any gallery displaying her work. If you're lucky enough to see Max and Chloe at an exhibit they will sign it for you as well!

That point was entirely tangential to my main argument - the argument being that the game does not deal with that concept to begin with; the criticism of the concept itself was only relevant in as much as that if the game would be dealing with it, I'd consider it worthless as a psychological study that the other user was taking it for, because it is based on a wrong presumption.

Sure, that does not mean it would be artistically worthless as such because of it, but if LiS has any worth to people, it's because of how authentic and relatable it is, which that concept provably couldn't be. It could still work as an allegorical portrayal of that concept and deal in symbolism rather than psychology, but with that it would lose most of its impact that I see, which is that relatability and relevancy to real life, its authenticity.

But again, none of that is core to my side of the argument anyway. The proposed message itself is one I cannot accept in the game, one that pales in comparison to what I do see in it. Telling a story of how it is possible to overcome the death of a loved one is a worthwhile story to tell and message to convey... but LiS does not tell such a story, and if it tried to, it would have failed conveying it (while it does convey another message far better).

The message of growing and accepting the death of a loved one is massive part of Chloe's character arc. That has meaning and is gratifying to see. How she matures and moves on past her rough past.
It is NOT satisfying to see Max abandon Chloe and give up on herself to set herself on a path for a miserable (and very possibly, short) life. All because she somehow at the end decides everything she has done was wrong.
There's no growth in that. That is regression.

Why do chloefags don't care about Kate

Oh yeah, it's an integral part to Chloe's character arc. When I say LiS does not tell such a story, I'm referring to the main story that conceptually goes from bathroom to cliff and revolves, as far as this argument was concerned, around the final choice.

As such more Max's side of the story I guess: while Chloe does start to overcome the death of William and Rachel in the story and while that emotional complex resolving is major part of how her story plays into the character-centric narrative, it is not as if we get much of a psychological (or narrative, for that matter) insight into that process of hers of learning to accept and deal - above all, the story shows that it is Max she faces, fights or at least forgets, and ultimately overcomes those demons with - through her, thanks to her. So more than being a part of the story standing as and for themselves, those aspects of her character story first-and-foremost work to support the central story that is Max and Chloe's relationship (and, as far as my interpretation and understanding of the game goes, most of every-thing in it does revolve around and mostly play a supporting role in the main topic that is telling the story of those two).

Why do you keep shit-stirring?
Did posting Grahamfield bait not get enough results?

Why would I post bait and shit stir, what on earth can I gain from it?

Max is a good person! Also cute!

Because she isn't Chloe or Max. Duh.

Pestilence came out with a new animation.
Chloe getting what she deserves.

Don't post it. We don't need that stuff here.

REWIND THIS

Link?

I voted too good luck!

Don't need?

We despise that disgusting stuff here, and luckily it gets you banned. So I for one say go ahead and post it . I can stomach it, and I want you banned.

WHAT THE FUCK
DELETE THAT RIGHT FUCKING NOW

Not entirely sure why that artist gives Chloe lizard eyes, but it's kind of cool for how different it is.
Also, why does Max looks sad when she's obviously getting a gift?

Remember to vote for lis on steam

Hi /lisg/, how is everyone today?

I missed out on the webm

Max is so happy that she gets to spend Christmas with Chloe, so she is always very emotional, especially when it gets to the gifts.

So-so, but pretty good. Still on vacation. HBU?

Dead inside, as always.

Here, reposting just for you
Don't tell anyone