What is wrong with VR engines? They seem to have better packaging than both inline and wide-angle V engines

What is wrong with VR engines? They seem to have better packaging than both inline and wide-angle V engines.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeEf8gjOcU
youtube.com/watch?v=KFAp9-4CyXk
youtube.com/watch?v=S7InRDrbESg
youtube.com/watch?v=5XHNcxjqlFU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're heavy as fuck and can't break 200hp. Even a GM 4.3 is an engineering marvel compared to that piece of shit.

The 3.6 weighs about 400lbs and makes 300hp.

The design of the head lends itself to warping from corner to corner, leading to leakage and complete head gasket failure. Doesnt help that the package itself does not deal with heat well, as it is so compact.

So, complexity, longevity, price. It is like a lot of german engineering. Very good theoretically, not very good in real world application.

The vr5 might be the most autistic engine layout.

>2 pistons on one side of the head, 3 pistons on the other

Great distribution of pressure you got there

>Doesnt help that the package itself does not deal with heat well

"Hey Hans?"
"Ja?"
"Remember how the flathead Ford had exhaust runners going THROUGH the block?"
"Ja!"
"Let's do something just as shitty but advertise it as revolutionary and high-tech"

For real, what the fuck? Why does VW put money in this stupid engines that they know are gonna get phased out in 3 months?

"Hey Hans?"
"Ja?"
"We want to make a V6 Golf, but the engine bay was never designed to take a V6. Can you think of something?"
"Of course! See, we take a normal V6, stagger the cylinder banks, put them closer together so they fit under a single head, and boom! V6 that is only slightly bigger than an inline 4!
"Genius!"

And of course they didn't think of the head being so large it warps easily, or the amount of cooling necessary, because this is mid-90s VAG we're talking about.

>stupid engines that they know are gonna get phased out in 3 months

They change the engine code for the dumbest reasons.
>Remap ECU for 1 HP and 3 torques
>Better change the ID stamp!

>Change fuel trim so the engine makes the same torque a few hundred RPM lower
>The CR diesel is now a JK!

"Hey Hans?"
"Ja?"
"U up?"
"Ja"
"We fuckin or what?"
"Ja"

I feel like a lot of german product is just made for lease bait. The market they aim for is just low mileage target service life, but it is really cool stuff. This is just one of the many, the more recent example being BMW's turbo 8 with the inboard turbos. It is a really cool idea to get the most out of the turbo set up, but it is going to heat cycle everything around it to dust.

ITT: Nothing but assumptions, speculations, and meme posts.

The VR6 six cylinder engine was developed by Volkswagen in the late 1980s and was introduced in Europe in 1991. It was later introduced in the United States the following year. The name “VR6” comes from the cylinder arrangement within the engine block. The “V” in VR6 has the same meaning as the “V” in V6, and the “R” stands for a German word meaning “inline engine.” The implication is that the engine is a combination of a V and inline six cylinder engine, or a “V-inline six.”
The 2.8 liter VR6's cylinders are arranged in a staggered configuration within the cast iron cylinder block with two separate banks of three cylinders attached to the crankshaft at a relatively narrow 15 degree angle. This allows the use of a single cylinder head. The cylinders are numbered from front to back and move up and down in pairs at the same time much like an inline six. The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4, the same as an inline six. Since the cylinders are not in a line, the crankshaft was designed such that the rotating assembly remains balanced with the introduced offset. Volkswagen was able to make the engine run about as smooth as any inline six of the same time period without the use of a balancing shaft. The factory drop-forged crankshaft rides on seven main bearings and features six separate journals for each connecting rod, and each piston has an oil squirting jet underneath with oil pressure provided by the chain-driven oil pump.

The cylinder head of the earlier VR6's were made of cast aluminum and featured two valves per cylinder and two chain-driven camshafts (one per bank of cylinders). The head does not actually contain the combustion chamber since it is completely flat with only the valves protruding from the flat surface. Later VR6's (2001+) used a recessed combustion chamber within the cylinder head and 4 valves per cylinder along with dual variable valve timing, coil on plug ignition, and direct injection in the most recent variants. The newest variants also have a narrower v-angle of 10.5 degrees and a displacement of 3.6 liters. The first VR6's used a distributor ignition system along with electronic fuel injection and no variable valve timing. Later variants used a waste-spark ignition system (still no VVT) to allow for variable ignition timing by the ECM. Since a large amount of heat is generated in the relatively small area of the cylinder head, all VR6's feature an auxiliary electric water pump that works along side the main belt-driven water pump while the engine is running. The auxiliary water pump also stays running for a few minutes after the ignition is turned off to help prevent excessive heat build up within the cylinder head which can cause warping. Some vehicles equipped with VR6 engines have an auxiliary radiator which functions as a third heat exchanger within the cooling system along side the main radiator and heater core for better cooling at higher speeds. This radiator only works effectively at higher speeds since there is no fan to pull air across it and it is located behind the front bumper next to the main radiator. All VR6's feature a water-to-oil heat exchanger which functions as an oil cooler. It is located on top of the oil filter housing and it's purpose is to prevent the engine oil from becoming too thin and breaking down as a result of excessive heat.

I'll take my payment in gold bullion, VAG

Bunch of know-nothings.

FUCKING SHITDICKS

Congratulations on your efforts of coming up with something as stupid as an inline six with intake and exhaust manifolds on BOTH sides of the engine.

It's a design feature that allows extremely compact twin turbo setups

>either bad intake or exhaust port design, depending on the cilinder bank
>excessive weight
>lopsided pistons, for extra rotating mass
>imbalance due to bank angle
>impossible to do independent VVT on a 2 valve
>dear god that 4 valve setup

I can't tell if you're retardedly brilliant or brilliantly retarded.

Except it doesn't. And now you'd have to redesign the entire cylinder head and valve train to get your stupid idea to work.

You're both retarded.

>V5 engines

>yfw the VR6 is actually an inline six that's been smashed together from end to end

and?

>not v3

I have been witness to the warpage on 3 separate units, only one of them had seen over 100k miles. Are you disputing this? I see head warpage on every aluminum headed engine, but none as bad and as fast as the VR6.

>not VR3

They were probably ran hard with a non functional auxiliary water pump, which stays running after the ignition is turned off specifically to prevent the issue.

My 12v is at over 180k miles and I haven't had to pull the head off yet.

>Plastic timing chain guides

>found on just about about every chain driven timing mechanism on any engine ever

>it needs an auxiliary water pump to not eat itself

F fuck you guys ;-;

>le angry VAGina

nothing
I have a 24v vr6, honestly it's pretty bullet proof.

It's not a drag racer for sure but it kills it on the highway, I set the cruse at 140km/h on the Coquihalla and just leave it. Those hills kill 4 bangers and over heat little turbos, but the VR6 eats em up.

look at all that wasted real estate between cylinders.....

>auxillary water pump
>needs to stay running after car turns off
>some even need an auxillary radiator
>oil cooler mandatory

Holy shit this thing runs hot

It's called wasting fuel to make heat that no one needs

Why are the cooling jackets so damn small? Can this thing take like 40psi from the factory?

"Hey Hans?"
"Ja?"
"How about instead of making two heads we make one big giant head double the size"
"Unt ja I like"
"And instead of a rectaglular engine footprint, can we make it a big ass square instead?"
"Unt Jaaaaaaa lederhosen!"

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeEf8gjOcU

I bought a 24v vr6 jetta knowing nothing about them except for the weird layout. Do I regret it? Sometimes. Nothing vr6 related though, the wiring of the damn thing pisses me off though. I love the exhaust note and it pulls in a great way. If it were slightly bigger I would call it my favorite DD ever. The engine has 220k on it and no timing chain guide failure yet

Well, At least the engine is mounted the right way. Too bad it sounds like shit and you could of accomplished the same with a V8 for a 1/4 of the price.

Oh you're no fun haha I'd love to have a vr swapped a4. Just to have a little more legroom for my baby daughter. But yeah the exhaust could sound better, it is a vr after all

vancouver or okanagan area? I agree the coq shits on most 4 bangers. My subaru doesn't have any trouble though :^)

>triple-square heads on the main bearing cap bolts
REEEE

obligatory shining example of VAG """"""""engineering""""""""

VR6 isn't that bad tho

I wish they could have made that less then a fucking 20 hour job. I mean realistically it can be done in 13 but fuck

At least they aren't tamper proof... You know for when the track suit gremlins come for your crank
And what the fuck is that

4.3 is also reliable as hell

Audi 4.2L V8

Nobody knows why there's a giant micrometer behind it though.

>That's all on the BACK of the engine

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There should be a VR8 engine so that we can have baller V8 FR cars with only a single engine head.

Have a W8 instead.

There is a W16, wich is basicly tw VR8s...

My r32 has almost 180k on it, and I beat the living piss out of it every day, and track it 10+ times a year. These engines are seriously indestructible as long as you keep up on the maintenance.

>that sound
youtube.com/watch?v=KFAp9-4CyXk

LOOK AT ALL THAT FUCKING METAL! I can feel how heavy it is from here

Sounds like a 90's V6 truck.. Horrible.

the heads must be damn worth anchors

Dat ass tho

>citation needed
youtube.com/watch?v=S7InRDrbESg

Calgary to Vancouver a couple times a year

take highway 3 or highway 6 quite a bit. Highway 6 is twisty and non-stop shifting from 5 down to 4 & 3 and up again, only occasionally ever into 6th.
so much fun, just gotta watch out for deer and livestock

Sounds like a straight piped minivan, but worse. What a waste of metal.

why stop at 8?

what's better than VR6? Two VR6s slapped together in a W
youtube.com/watch?v=5XHNcxjqlFU

Got a mate who owns a 12 cylinder Touareg, those things are bloody excellent to ride in. Shame about the fuel efficiency though lol

if it's remotely like the 24v vr6, it can be quite efficient but begs to be driven hard.
I got 750km highway to a tank once and only once, usually get 400-500km

It's supposed to get nearly 20mpg, but no one ever has them in that exact configuration. You gotta have fresh air filter, fresh plugs, your shift rod and shift rod solenoid have to be working perfectly, fuel filter in good order, etc and you have to resist killing it to hear that sweet exhaust

>you have to resist killing it to hear that sweet exhaust
that's the hardest part