My friend tells me I should wring the shit out of my engine on my GTI pretty much 25% of the time I drive because these...

My friend tells me I should wring the shit out of my engine on my GTI pretty much 25% of the time I drive because these types of direct injection engines are prone to carbon build-up. This shit true or a myth? I googled this a bit and it seems to have some validity...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9hbHs9z8y4M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

possibly if you use poor quality fuel.
if your worried use premium . shell or BP ultimate have special additives that prevent the build up of carbon on the cylinders and components.

That's what Seafoam is for. Empty a can into the oil about 500mi before each oil change clean the gunk out.

Ah, the good old Italian tuneup.

That comes after the Seafoam. After that, it's three phases (this is for exhaust valves, not intake):

1. Wind it out in 2nd until it's good and hot
2. Carefully hold the throttle open and steady at about 3000RPM while you run maybe a 20oz bottle of water through the crankcase
3. Immediately get back in and hoon that fucker at the top of 2nd gear for about 5-10 minutes to steam-clean carbon off the exhaust valves.

Listen to the exhaust at idle! Now that's a spicy meatball.

Your the type of fugs that make Veeky Forums cancerous

You're stupid.

All cars need periodic rev outs.
You shouldn't baby your engine. Every once in a while, once it's warm take her through the higher revs in 2nd or above.

I imagine all VW engines call for premium anyway.

>because these types of direct injection engines are prone to carbon build-up
completely true. The only system that does not have this issue is Toyota's D4-S system.

It's also recommended that you have the dealer do a carbon clean up, which involves walnut shells if I remember right..

Only the turbo gasoline ones.

Nah, lol. That's stupid car forum talk.

>You're stupid.
this coming from the retard who thinks BMWs are cheaper to buy and maintain than Toyota's

Well every single gas engine offered by VW in the United States in 2000 called for premium.

Anyone with any significant automotive experience can see that list is all over the fucking place.
And anyone with any significant economic understanding can see that means nothing with out context.

>Nah, lol
opinion discarded.

>muh context
stfu Ethan

A likely story.

I was involved with some development on DI engines.
To clean the injectors and plugs we'd run the engine at high load and advance the ignition until we had 'borderline detonation'. The theory being that the small pings would lose the carbon deposits.

Did it work?

Difficult to say.
We never had those huge carbon deposits like you see pictures of. We'd look at the HC read out on the gas analyser and kept running until the HC reading wouldn't reduce anymore. Usually about 30 mins.

>opinion discarded
Nah, lol

aux injection
get a water/meth kit and just run it as water
engine will now look new inside cylinders after not long. removes carbon and keeps it away.
only reason i'm planning to get a kit

Good ol' Italian tune up gets rid of carbon deposits

Periodic rev outs are good for an engine. I try to do a few every tank, although it is hard to find an open road.

Good gas will limit carbon build up, the problem with direct injection is that the intake valves are not in the path of fuel, so they do not get cleaned.

Seafoam into the intake or even a little water might clean the intake valves.

If me.ory serves me correct my 240z owners manual recommended occasional redlining.

To redeem myself, I will say that I've had good results running about half a can of seafoam down the intake to hit the intakes valves followed by a bottle of watter (CAREFULLY) down the intake to steam clean the exhaust valves. I took do doing it yearly after it kicked an extra horsepower and 2-3 torks back into my old carbed up shitbox, but then I came to realize it's about as good as making sure there isn't a nest of mice eating your air filter.

As for revving it out, I'm a big fan of beating on a car from time to time when it's safe to do so in order to assure yourself that you're less likely to get an unpleasant surprise at the wrong time.

I took my car to high speed touge one day.
Went on to a date and when I got back from it 2 hours later I had no brakes. It turned out the brakelines had ruptured when I was on the tougay.

>ITT People that dont understand that fuel doesnt touch the intake valves on DI engines so it cant wash the shit off of them.

Ever try to stop with just the hand brake? Especially if you're going down hill?
>everybody else calmly stopping like a normal person
>lockemup rear wheels
>SCREEEEEEEEEEE!
>*smoke*
>everybody wonders wtf is this asshole doing

oh, so that's why they bias the real brakes toward the front!

youtube.com/watch?v=9hbHs9z8y4M

Weight transfer.