Juggalonomics

>Cringy white hip hop duo
>Hated and laughed at everywhere, not a single good review, press as bad as possible.
>Still are able to build a media empire that turns over $10M a year.

What the hell, Veeky Forums. They're my heroes and I don't even like their music.

bump

Interesting.

Yeah. Bump for interest. Kinda like the beebs. Just hit a niche and ride it into the ground.

Fuck. Look at Fredd Durst. He's an absolute faggot. Or the Kardashians.

Makes u think.

Ice created a whole culture tho. Given its a bunch of makeup wearing Junio sporting hipster wannabe faggots. But they pioneered jugular and profited greatly.

Idiots.

You have to realize that many people get rich because they cater to idiots. Look at QVC, infomercials, the Snuggie, etc...

Yup. And a lot of talented guys end up poor and alone bc they don't know how to money. Talent is nothing.

The kicker is those are the ones that get rich after death.

i feel like it was just a group of people who wanted to belong to something, like the my little pony fanbase. it manages to bring together likeminded losers and makes creating friends easier

Seems like an awesome business model to me, isn't it?

>appeal to lowest common denominator
yes

It's one of the most potent business models around.
I mean that was the only thing keeping Apple going for a few years.

Amway. (arguably) Starbucks. One Directoners and the endless merch they buy.

If you can find a niche of lonely or otherwise outsider people and make your business the conduit for their "community" you've got it made.

Does that shit have a name? It's fascinating.

A cult.

And you're right, it is fascinating.
>find a target, possibly one who's been recently traumatized, such as a person who's just been in a car accident
>love bomb them
>isolate them from their friends and family
>make them dependant on you for friends, jobs, or whatever
>then you can really fuck with them and extort them for money

Show business doesn't really count as entrepreneurship, it's like cheating

Well actually it's gambling. For every idiot or band of idiots making fat stacks there are thousands literally thousands of equally (or more) talented wannabes who didn't make it. Didn't know the right people, didn't have the right face, weren't in the right genre, didn't strike the cultural chord with a specific demographic. These things can be tweaked and optimized and predicted but only to a limited extent. It's not even about being talented or savvy, you need to be both and the odds of making it are slim because there are lots of people who want to be famous and only so many open slots and you just kind of have "be" right.

ICP and other showbusiness successes aren't heroes, they're lucky winners of the pop culture jackpot

Nah, you're oversizing it. I don't think Apple and ICP does that.

>For every idiot or band of idiots making fat stacks there are thousands literally thousands of equally (or more) talented wannabes who didn't make it. Didn't know the right people, didn't have the right face, weren't in the right genre, didn't strike the cultural chord with a specific demographic
You just described the market risk. It's the same for every business.

Every business involves risk. Showbusiness involves more than most because the market demands are unpredictable, arbitrary even. And like I said the number of slots for famous and successful artists is smaller than the number of people seeking them. By a factor in the tens of thousands.

I personally know no less than four dudes who went to my high school trying to be rappers. They're all talented. One actually has the best beats I've ever heard, he's the only hip hop artist on my ipod. Hard worker, too. Every day he's promoting and and distributing his music and trying to get his name out there. Maybe a couple thousand people will ever hear his music. He will never be famous, the most viable music career he can realistically hope for is writing for someone who rolled better stats in attractiveness or charisma

Far more mindless sheep walking around that are amused by anybody brave enough to "be themselves" no matter how fucking retarded these guys are/act.

They use the cult type thing calling fans juggalos or some shit. Seem to really milk lower class younger boys, which explains the low barrier for quality content.
The juggalos can identify with a group and perceive they are "part of something". Honestly if they feel that way I would say it's probably good for some even though I hate their shit. I respect any good Veeky Forums though and they have a solid one

I think it's sometimes called "Evangelist Marketing" there's some marketing guru who literally wrote a book called "Cult Marketing" if I remember correctly. This is where learning about Bernays can really help you.

Harley Davidson is another brand I forgot. Ferrari is an interesting one because of course they have a very curated clientele, and now Marchionne literally wants to produce one car less than demand: but they are this international symbol.

That's an actual cult... I mean you're totally right, that's how cult leaders operate. But few businesses actually start like that...
'Reverend Moon's' conglomerate notwithstanding.

Yeah I'm bitter about the crap on radio and TV nowadays too.

>Showbusiness involves more than most because the market demands are unpredictable, arbitrary even.
Showbussiness is a far more predictable industry than say fashion, show biz cycles can last years. Fashion, months.
Showbiz is also just Showbiz, if you've got name recognition and are telegenic, you can latch yourself onto any incoming trend. Also just because you're not big doesn't mean you can't make an income. Look at Rhianna, she faded after that S.O.S. song (I think that's the one that sampled Soft Cell's Tainted Love), next moment she's wearing Theirry Mugler on the runway because now Lady Gaga has made weird and tasteless fashion statements the new trend, and she's back atop the charts. I think that was the time of Umbrella. I dunno, maybe she never went out of public eye?

I mean how is it Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngvie Maalmsteem can each claim a slice of the guitar virtuoso market (if your cynical enough too look at it as a market devided by a triad of major "brands" each with their own "positioning")? And they aren't the only ones.

Sounds like my girlfriend

But, as I said before, talent is nothing; it's not a decissive factor in success anymore. ICP are the living proof of that. They were despised both in the mainstream and in the underground hip hop scene and still they made it. And it wasn't with the help of big record companies and the MSM, they made it by themselves just with the help of their own fanbase. Simply astonishing.

Dude, I remember when all the MTV bitches started dyeing their hair blue and making sea-related videos because they fell for the seapunk meme that grew on /mu/ and the executives thought it was going to be the next big thing. It was fucking hilarious.

They are the only big name who does their strange brand of rap. They live up to their billing as The Wicked Clowns.

That's called a niche market. They are crushing it in their niche so more power to them.

The basic idea is find a wild, attention getting act and play it as long as it works.

I think it was Woody Allen or somebody who said Life is 10% talent and the other 90% is just showing up.

ICP does do a lot of creepy trash rap, but they keep the tempo and the theme going. I used to listen to their Riddle Box CD back when I was an edgy teenager.

They do know what they are doing and they know how to be provocative with their lyrics. That is talent.

wasn't /mu/ though

What is "Duck Dynasty."

Fuck. I grew a beard and got a dumptruck and floated on the name "Fear the Beard Trucking llc" alone.

Lol. A cult.

The thing is their main idea (the clown/circus stuff) wasn't even a niche in the first place. I mean, there wasn't any kind of demand of that theme from the hip hop public. They just went on with this bad idea (everybody hated it), and eventually became a thing.

so BASICALLY to sum up all the bullshit in this thread, they made a product that a lot of people were willing to buy.

wew, sounds like EVERY OTHER FUCKING BUSINESS ON EARTH doesn't it?

jeesh. commandment number 1 is thou shalt never assume the artistic tastes of droves of humans different than you

Trailer park kids can buy the CD's, not get access to the internet to talk about it

The same way trump got elected. Poor uneducated whites.

That's exactly what I was alluding to. What a fucking ugly time for fashion.

>The basic idea is find a wild, attention getting act and play it as long as it works.
The essence of showbiz. Liberace. Lady Gaga. David Bowie. Elton John. Manowar. Judas Priest. Marilyn Manson. Alice Cooper. Andre Rieu. Winny Puhh, Culture Club, Adam and the Ants...
70mm films like Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Cleopatra... a tradition that was resurrected in films like Titanic and Avatar.

What do all these acts and films have in common: Spectacle! Novelty!

Haha! Nice!

That's only half of the equation: you've got the demographic, but you need to find out a way to exploit insights or behaviors about them. I mean fast food joints are all over that, they know how to market to poor people better than anyone

Every other fucking business on Earth starts up being mocked, hated and bashed by literally everyone?

He's being overly reductionist.
Not to mention that ICP wasn't a product that existed before they came along: Theodore Levitt would be proud.