He fell for the "5 minutes idle in winter" meme

>He fell for the "5 minutes idle in winter" meme

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xKALgXDwou4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Its not wasting fuel but it increases the time it takes for your engine to reach operating temperature. it keeps your engine colder for longer, which is when most wear occurs.
most engines only need 10-15 seconds to circulate oil, then they're safe to drive. beyond that and you're just wearing out your engine.

What kind of shit cunt lefty cuck country makes running an engine at idle illegal?
Jesus wept

(heil)
This, as soon as oil got everywhere you can put a small load on the engine.

>Its not wasting fuel

If you're running your engine and achieving nothing beyond unnecessary wear on your engine, I'd say that's a waste of fuel.

not him, it does, but is insegnificant.

>Its not wasting fuel
> achieving nothing
Except I am achieving my goal. I'll walk out to a nice cozy warm cabin.

its a negligible amount of fuel
so negligible you might as well not even think about it

Clearly you've never gotten into a car when it's 0f out. Fuck that

Thank you instragram-filtered infopic. I'm gonna upload this straight to my subreddit.

b-but my windows are completely frozen from the inside

the amount of fuel used while idling is pretty insignificant

>usually let car warm up for 10-15 mins while i prepare to go to work/school
>see this don't warm up your car meme
>-35C one morning
>decide to just drive off instead of warming the car up like usual
>turns out the coolant was completely frozen in my car
>had to scrap my beloved Camry wagon because the block cracked
>all this could have been avoided if I'd let the damn thing warm up

:( don't fall for the meme.

>dec
>3.6c

Nice """winter"""

>implying your water pump wouldn't shatter the instant you turned the key if the coolant was completely frozen
>implying cracked blocks are caused by driving with frozen coolant and not by the fact that water expands when it freezes
>implying your block doesn't have freeze plugs to prevent this very thing from occurring

What country bans idling?

Not everyone lives in Sacramento, California, shitdick.

Most folks around my parts do it so that it'll reach operating temperature quicker, and to defrost their windshields

>Living in Sacramento
That place is a shithole

>commiefornia
Yeah, not everyone lives in a desert where everything causes cancer. I'll keep warming my cabin up in my non emissions cucked vehicle

Dude. If it gets that cold you should be checking on your coolant more frequently to make sure it doesn't freeze. This is not about driving it off cold. This is about you having an improprt ratio of coolant to water and living on an iceberg. Also its probably fake.

Also try driving a cold carburetor car. I didnt think so. There is a reason the warm up idle thing exists.

>go to car
>covered in ice and snow
>fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.gif
>start car
>clear off snow and ice
>get back in car and it's warm

There's nothing wrong with that

>B-but excessive wear to my engine

90% of Veeky Forums is poor. You aren't going to hurt your little shitbox for letting it warm up.

My grandmother was just visiting for Christmas (NYS) and I went outside to warm up my truck before I picked up my father. She told me that in Maryland and D.C. it was illegal to leave your car idling unattended and the cops would walk up your driveway and write you a ticket for it. She said it was because of people stealing cars in the winter when people did this but they slapped some environmental regulation reasoning into the law when they implemented it.

It sucks but I'm not going to drive in a 17 year old cold taco because Jamal decided he needed $200 bucks. Besides, I have the best anti theft there is, 5 speed.

A big 6L V8 at idle uses 0.09L of fuel in the 3 minutes you should be using.

>engine wear
Use the correct synthetic and this isn't a problem.
The REAL thing people should be worried about is manual transmission gear oil temp and diff oil temp, neither of which really heat up when idling.

That's why I always do burnouts when leaving for work in the morning. Get the tranny, diff, and tires warmed up

I've gotten in when it's -22f.
Waiting 10 seconds and then driving off and keeping rpm low makes the cabin warm up faster.

The author of OPs pic clearly lives there, and the temps explains why they have retarded ideas about winter.

>Idling an engine keeps it cold
>Idling an engine wears it out

What are you smoking? Please tell me because I want to avoid it since it made you this stupid.

He's saying that it takes much longer for the engine to reach operating temperature by just idling than it does by light driving, and because most wear occurs when the engine is outside of operating temperature, it makes no sense to prolong the time it takes to warm the engine.

Fuel injection engines don't need time to warm up, even in sub-zero temperatures. Give it a minute tops for oil to get around the engine and you're good to go.

>(it might be illegal)
they had me until i read this.
holy shit i dont give a fuck if its illegal, i have never done it in my life (because its useless) and now i WILL do it. FUCK YOU

I let my car warm up 10 minutes tops, the car does warm up at idle, this is the reason high idle exists.

If I need to go full throttle id rather my car be warm than cold.

Stop posting this shit to cause arguments you twats.

then why does it idle higher in neutral and park then in drive?

>After the engine runs for about 10 seconds, you are ready to drive.
>If the weather is below freezing, let it warm up for a few minutes before driving.
/thread

see
idiot

had the freeze plugs pop in my dodge, and the block still cracked

Freeze plugs aren't actually meant to protect the engine if it freezes though. They're just there for shit to fall out during the manufacturing process.

see
line 3 where he specifically states 'to prevent this very thing from occurring'

see
specifically the pic.
Owner's manual, you idiot.

>Celsius
>Sacramento

Everything about your post is just wrong

Ok nice meme but seriously freeze plugs are part of the casting process and aren't actually supposed to do that.

i have a diesel truck, these liberal cunts can fuck off, i'm going to idle it for at least 2 min even when it isn't cold

I like to drive away as soon as possible.It's a game for me, see how fast you can start driving away- you win if you can make the dry cold pistons crackle and slap really loudly or else if oil gets to the cylinder walls before you drive away, then you lose the game.

>drive 25 year old car
>shakes and sputters when first starting in the cold
I guess I was just wrong.

Same here, i cant always plug in to the lightpole at work when someone ganks my spot. Ill remotebstart that bitch ten minutes early sometimes when its below zero out

>plug in to the lightpole at work
Hahahaha that's aweseom

>falling for the fahrenheit-meme

May God have mercy on your poor soul.

>using commie units

We warmed up our race engines for 5 minutes minimum.
Reminder to not pay attention to auto "journalists".

>not using torque pro to tell when your oil is at operating temp
wew

this, honestly
>unless you have a fwd autotragic with a radiator ATF cooler
>then idling will heat up your trans and diff.

are you dump or simple a retard?

because it's connected to rear wheels and trying to move forward.
you should switch to neutral anyway when waiting at stoplights and such

Because the car is warming up, this is a troll thread

>I like putting stress on unexpanded metal components

>I have no idea what a torque converter is

Its a conspiracy to wear out our cars sooner so we buy more cars

It's the Jews

>and might even be illegal
australia here we idle in the carparks with the a/c on it 50 degree+ weather all the time

i can imagine we all do it in the rare occurance its like -0 temps as well

fucking cucked ad

Engine has to be running for the heated windscreens to work and melt the ice. Just need to run it while I scrape enough ice off the side windows to see out, then attack the half-melted ice with wipers.

>>-35C one morning
if you live in a place where temperatures go that low frequently then why didn't you get a block heater

Does this apply to all cars? My dad is an old fuck who is adamant on warming them up and letting them idle for 5-10 minutes. But all his life he only drove carburetor engines.

I warm up my engine all year 'round.

Take thermodynamics, take engineering materials, and work in the automotive manufacturing/testing industry for a few years... you'll understand.

How the else is going to heat up?

Do they think that cabin is instantly brought up heat after it's been sitting in the cold?

only reason to warmup for that long is if the choke or iac is busted and keeps wanting to die when cold

No it fucking doesn't.

It only feels that way to you becuase your fucking skin has lost sensation becuase its cold as fuck.

I'm not idling the thing for the sake of the engine so much as the sake of the defroster.

I know you're being sarcastic, but for those who may think along the same lines:

CHANGE YOUR OIL ROUTINELY

....and not at 10K-15K+ mile intervals; change it at 3Kmi and it should be fine. No more than 7Kmi.

honestly who gives a fuck? why is everyone making such a big deal (it may even be illegal)

tf is wrong with you - you all sound gay as fuck and i'm gayer than fuck

I have a 2004 Mazda6 diesel, with Webasto parking heater, but without timer or remote controller. So if I start the engine below about 5°C=41F then it starts with a turbine sound and it warms up the engine pretty quick, faster than a petrol engine. So I just walk out, start the engine, and go back to the kitchen for a coffee. In less than 10 minutes all the ice even from side windows melted and it's warm inside the car. Of course the yard is closed, I don't park on the driveway with running engine. If I don't have time for that, the engine is warm when I reach the town border sign. Well actually if you want operational temperature for the entire engine, fluids, block, etc, than it needs at least 15 minutes driving.
If it's not that cold I only idle for about 1 minute while rev drops from 1000 high rev to normal 780.

I left my car idling for an hour and a half sucking back a grand total of 2 liters of fuel while shoveling snow a few weeks ago and it fixed a ticking from the engine and the drivers side heat came back.

>not going WOT immediately after a cold start to get heat to defog windows as soon as possible

>causes wear to your engine
Tell that to the thousands of crown Victoria's with thousands of idle hours still on their original engines.

Your engine will heat up much faster under a light load than under zero load. A bit more wear for much less time is better than a bit less wear over a much longer time.

It warms up at idle but there's zero value to letting it idle with modern fuel injection. Just drive the fucking thing and don't exceed 50% throttle while the car is warming up. If you don't drive the car you will be leaving the differential and transmission fluid cold which means that if you go full throttle the car will be subject to higher wear regardless.

It is commonly known that for modern EFI engines that in normal conditions above freezing that you can start driving basically immediately after the engine turns over but you should never drive aggressively until the engine is up to temperature.

For extremely low temperatures yeah sure go ahead and wait 1 minute to let the oil circulate first but sitting around for 5-10 minutes doing nothing is a waste of time and does nothing.

>running your tranny with cold fluid

that's even worse.

youtube.com/watch?v=xKALgXDwou4

Thread video. The dude has a mechanical engineering degree at the very least so he isn't a total retard.

Freeze plugs aren't freeze plugs they're core plugs and they only exist to plug the holes that let out the sand inside the coolant cavity after casting

>no more than 7000 mi
T. Not a chemical engineer

If all you use is full synthetic and drive highway miles you might get away with 7000 miles between changes if you drive daily.

The only way to be sure is running oil analysis.

>Benchineering Explained
>Watching his shitty videos
>Taking his shitty advice
>Faggot literally googles a subject then makes a video about it

Literally worse than RegularFur"""reviews""" who skims over the wikipedia pages of the cars he reviews, then reads what his boyfriend wrote about it into a microphone for 10 minutes.

>94 Integra
>idle 2-3min before drive
have I been doing this wrong?

I don't see you posting any links to SAE papers. Your criticism is literally that he researches the subject before talking about it.

Idle 1 minute maximum. Unless it is especially cold outside you shouldn't be idling for more than a few seconds.

>3.6 C
Winters barely dip below 50 F in SF.

I wait till the needle starts to move and then drive off. I take it easy until the needle has come to a stop at proper operating temperature.

>driving fuel-injected cars

I wait until the windshield is defrosted, which normally takes longer than 10 seconds when it's below freezing

>muh carb
Look a fudd.

This.

I understand that it's a bad practice, like running the water while brushing your teeth, or watering your plants during the night, but who the FUCK would make it illegal? What is this? Communist Russia? If it's illegal in America, I'm going to go blow up a car.

>all these idiots wasting fuel and prematurely wearing their engine
Get in, turn the car on, and go. Drive gently until your water and oil is up to operating temperature. If it's not a carbureted engine, you don't need to let it warm up. Simple as that.

Glass people living in retard houses should not cast stones.

Pretty sure its a law in NY and NJ right now
i doubt its enforced though

In germany it is against the law to drive around without a purpose. So the classic "Sunday-drive" would be illegal.

But never heard that somebody actually got fined for that tbqh

>Look a fudd.
Look, a /k/.

I once had a fuel injected 2004 Cavalier that would shut off when it was cold until it was warmed up. It would idle fine, high but it would run. If you were going through town and took it out of gear to go around a corner or something and didn't put it in gear before it got below idle, it would shut right off. Had to stay on the gas at stoplights/signs to keep it running if you absolutely had to stop. Luckily it roll started like a champ, so as long as you still had some momentum you could start it up again without too much hassle.

Turned out the timing was a couple degrees off, which is why it would do that. But, it provides a useful example of why

>If it's not a carbureted engine, you don't need to let it warm up.

is wrong.

quote me that law pls

This thread is retarded because nobody thinks about idling their car for the engine. People start their car beforehand in the winter so the windows are fucking defrosted and you don't have to drive around in an icebox for 5 minutes

Car runs worse when it's super cold. From brakes to shifting. Don't care about what some fags on the internet say.

Ive been doing this here in northern wisconsin and my last tank of gas was 60 miles below average the usually miles per tank..

Mine goes from 35-36 average MPG to 33-34 average MPG when I let it idle for 10-15 minutes every morning, as compared to just starting it up and driving in the summer.

I drive close to 300 miles/week, so it ends up being a difference of ~$3/week, when comparing best MPG to worst MPG.

Have you ever tried shifting a cold manual tranny at -30c ?

Good luck if you don't idle for at least 30 seconds beforehand.

What are you trying to say here? And why did you post a phase diagram for stainless steel at 850 C? This post doesn't make much sense.

Signed,

Materials Engineer

I think we have something like that here in Finland, I'm pretty sure it's just so cops can harass shitskins for driving around at night blasting reggaeton and disturbing decent folk

>Materials Engineer
Is graphene the best new material or is it just a meme

It could be great, but production needs to become economical.

All these new wonder materials are really spiffy, but if they cost more than their weight in gold to produce or if they can only be produced in microscopic quantities in labs, then they don't do us much good.