Explain to me why the 996 is a shit car

>muh Porsche tradition
>muh watercooled
>muh not usual design

The Porsche that got me into them interested

Rear main seal leaks, intermediate shaft bearing failures are common. otherwise pretty good car.

Purist memery, late 90s/early 2000s interior (they had to cut costs like mad if they wanted to survive until they came up with the wildly popular Cayenne), small chance of catastrophic engine failure.
All of this can be fixed/prevented and they're probably the best value Porsches you can buy right now along with Boxsters and maybe Caymans.

It's shit because autism. On the bright side you can pick them up for dirt cheap

There's an user here that bought a guard red 996 cabriolet with the factory hardtop for $13k. It's been working perfectly for him for a solid year now

>m-muh IMS
Let people bitch about it, it keeps the cars cheap and affordable

>muh fried eggs
>muh maximum file size allowed is 4 MB

fuck gookmoot, have this 993 instead

There are some critizisms that can be applied to all of them. Some people might think RR is weird to drive and flat engine has how real advantages.

>ims bearing failure common

My God when will this meme end

Hopefully never, because retards that think the 996 Turbo has an IMS that's gonna assplode keeps the prices down

This. But might be right.

How high are the maintenance costs per year?

You can get a used one starting at 18k yurobucks here in germany.

114k miles on my 996, replaced the IMS, only maintence I've done is oil changes, clutch at 80k and suspension at 110k

Great fun car, still a head turner, has no fucking cup holders though, rear seats only good for kids, the seats fold down to form a shelf.

car eats rear tires

RWD or AWD?

pictures like these make me have faith in Veeky Forums

Model, price, and how many miles did you buy it at?

RWD

2000 Porsche 911, purchased at 35k miles for roughly 38k

Going on 17 years old, you can find these cars now for under 20k.

Recommend getting one that is driven often, low miles does not mean no issues.

If you know basic car maintence you can easily work on the vehicle yourself

Source of animu?

itadaki seieki

Nice, you da real mvp here.

Is it the turbo or N/A model?

Turbo is AWD an no faulty IMS to replace, it's n/a.

>eats rear tires

Maintenance is a bitch on 911s, everything is so crammed in there. Had to replace the ignition on my friends, had to remove parts of the front dash and the heating duct to get to it, then stuff and contort my arm up and around to pull the part out/put the new one in. It wasn't fun.

post a picture of your car

I always wanted one of these, scared of running costs though

I had a 986 Boxster. Apparently built by drunk fucking Swedes... cylinder wall failed, was leaking coolant into one cyl. Was running on 5 until it got hot enough to burn off the coolant.
That era of Porsche is to be avoided...

Let me guess, a 2.5? Those are known to be very problematic.

Nice color.

Those front lights look really faded. Ever consider doing a swap and getting the 997 style headlights?

Ooh, you got all the color-matching interior bits. Nice.

or just repair them?

I tried restoring the headlights last year, sanding it only lasted like six months. I do want to buy some new lights on day. I would love to have 997 lights but that requires body modifications that just exceed the value of this car. I rather keep the metal fenders instead of changing those for fiberglass ones.

Thanks

wasn't there like a thing with toothpaste too?

Yeah, but all the methods are just temporary

I'm considering these after tax return

Apparently lots of people had LEDs in those burn out after a few months.

On the other hand, plenty of people have had them work fine for years.

I don't know, be warned I guess.

I mean realistically if you're not buying the turbo you're a tard anyways, so I like it because the memers make them somewhat cheap by parroting ims failures

Corvette tier interior, car always trying to blow its engine ten different ways, turbo and gt okay tho.

I bit of a random question, but what is "carrera"?

"
Carrera is a spanish word and stands for “race”. Porsche started using the name on the 356 series, to show homage to Carrera Panamericana, a border-to-border race held in Mexico from 1950 to 1954. The Carrera name has been added to many racing and race-ready models since 1955: the 356, 904, 906, 911 up to 1977 and the 924. In 1984, with the 911 G-model being in production for a decade already, Porsche's marketing department started using the Carrera name for a basic model to boost sales. The name was also used for the Carrera GT supercar."

google took me there in 2 seconds.

Yup, you nailed it.

Thanks.
>Porsche's marketing department started using the Carrera name for a basic model to boost sales.
That's what confused me, I did understand what there is a subtitle on a mos basic model.

>if you're not buying turbo you're a tard

it may be a financial issue?

Some people want to live to see tomorrow.

maybe N/A because linear powerband?

The headlights wont fade if you give a clearcoat after sanding. Mine looks new after 6 years now.

Polish the headlights. also you're a qt. can you post feet pics or sock pics? i would buy your dirty socks for a lot of money.