Driving with your family stories Thread

>dad goes out drinking
>texts me to pick him up
>go and pick him up, drive him home
>user.. you really need to stop driving like you just passed your test and start becoming an advanced driver, like me
>here we fucking go
>you don't have to indicate when you go around corners at night when you can't see anybody, you have to be more confident

>not drifting corners with dad in rhythm of eurobeat

I indicate off roundabouts because its the law in my country.
I indicate in carparks
I indicate when the road is fucking empry
I indicate to merge back after stopping to give way to someone

Gf makes fun of me for all these things.
I'll make fun of her when she gets a ticket for not doing it.

There could be someone you can't see, like a pedestrian or a driver with his lights off.

There could also be someone driving fast as fuck from around a corner that wouldn't come in to view until the last second when you're starting to round the corner.

Where is Rainbow Ranger when you need him.

> Indicating when you go around corners

Literally the best driver in my family
I'm always the driver whenever we need to go somewhere.
Need to go somewhere 30 miles away
Drive me mums Durango 2014 ish, new cars have really nice suspension
So anyways get on the freeway and they are really crappy in California, bumps everywhere
Bumps on freeway that vibrate your car like you have a flat tire
Mum backseat drives the whole time telling me I'm driving on top of those bumpy Lane separators.
Literally driving in the middle of the lane and it is highway doing it.
Doesn't believe.
Have to listen to that shit for 30 mins...

Our roads in general (across the whole U.S.) are a joke. Damn union crews take forever and don't even do a decent job.

fucking (((unions)))

>you don't have to indicate when you go around corners at night when you can't see anybody, you have to be more confident

Mercedes driver in the making

>you have to be more confident

I'm glad that men with "confidence" are risky, it means they're dissolved from the gene pool sooner and hopefully it means your dad will be dead in a few years

>Driving with my dad to go pick up some furniture
>Taking my car since his is a fucking CR-Z
>WRX wagon
>Drive like usual
>Smooth inputs, smooth gear changes, rarely in boost except for on-ramps
>"Son you drive like a grandpa"

Later the same day

>Get the furniture home
>Dad asks if I wanna tag along while he takes his CR-Z in for an oil change
>Sure
>Dad is redlining every 1st/2nd gear shift
>chucking the car into turns
>Screeching tires
>Handbrake pulls
>"Dad, you drive like a fucking maniac"
>He just laughs and smiles and does it all again.
>"You have to drive this thing hard all the time because it's so slow, but that's half the fun"
>Mocks me for having a quick car that I drive slow

The problem is I think he's got a point :(

He's right, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. However, you're right to doubt him, as anyone who buys a CR-Z needs to have a their head examined

I drive my slowmobile slow in traffic but if I take the windy backroad touge home I rarely dip to under 40 over the speed limit and only then in turns.
There's usually traffic too.

New year promise is to stop doing that but it's so addicting.

Living up to your name, I see.

Maybe. He hasn't broken anything except a fog lamp cover in the 40k miles he's put on it, but I bet his clutch goes at 60k.

More greentext I guess.

>Teaching a previous GF to drive stick
>Miata
>"This is one of the best cars to learn manual in"
>She catches on pretty quick
>Teach her how to do hard launches from 4000+RPM on day 1 since she seems to know what's up and I'm just bored
>She does it almost naturally and effortlessly after a few tries and a bit of explaining
>2 weeks later
>"mr shitpost I'm borrowing the roadster k?"
>hear tires shrieking as she exits the neighborhood
>hear more tire squealing in the distance

Brought a tear to my eye - sad things didn't work out between us.

CRZ is a fantastic shitbox beater. I drive the wheels off of mine... the electric motor's torque makes it a fucking burnout monster too.

I can't disagree. The thing has a nice 0-30 which is what you realistically use every day. My biggest complaints are

>Clutch feels numb, vague, and light as hell
>Rev hang and throttle lag

Otherwise I can see the virtues of owning one. They're not super expensive used either.

He's a BMW driver. It's scary as fuck when he drives me, since he doesn't even indicate to change lanes on the motorway.

>vomits

Merc driver here. It's the BMW drivers that drive like tools.

Arizona's roads are pretty nice. Rubberized asphalt (almost) everywhere.

The only section I can think of that's shit is the I-10 west of Phoenix.

Driving with family is terriying. I had to pick up my family and move to Oregon from Alaska because my wife who grew up in Alaska was so shit at driving it was assured she would kill my children in an accident.

>go to pick up dad with my cousin (he was gonna drive dad's car back home) from bar
>raining a lot, windshield wipers suck balls
>cousin: "hey user, can you see okay?"
>me: "lol yeah I'm fine"
>Can't actually see shit
>high as hell too

BMW driver here, it's the Audi assholes who drive like maniacs

no dude it's the BMW drivers

you misspelled "AUDI" there

They're both smug, self-absorbed shitty drivers.

BMW drivers are pretty terrible too. Both a combination of poor driving skills and an unwarranted sense of self-importance
>be me, cruising home from the gym
>wild BMW appears, immediately starts tailgating me
>BMW driver attempts to overtake by gunning it through a right-turn only lane to try and swerve around me
>downshift and gun it, forcing him to slam on his breaks to avoid crashing into a parked car
>follows me down the road for like 5min making angry hand gestures at me and flashing his high beams

Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I encounter a BMW "driver" like this at least every other day. Any german luxury car really; you hardly see acura or lexus drivers acting like retards. Buick/Lincoln drivers suck but that's because they're all old as fuck

fuck volvo drivers too while we're at it.

>Tfw I know a dumb ass meth addict who buys shit like niceish Audis, Volvos, and Hondas, but doesn't really know dick about cars so he fucks them up rather quick.

Nobody (except for those in unons) like unions.

My dad is the guy who drives slow in the fast lane. Wat do?

Complaining about his mommy somewhere

fuck man I have no clue how you can handle that

i mean it's stupid to constantly be afraid of life, but it really worried me when my gf talked about how she would drive 120 on the freeway to her house for fun, or how she liked "driving fast in the mountains"

I do that shit every day, but I consider myself an excellent driver, I'm deeply familiar with my cars, how they respond to any and all inputs and variables, I feel confident in my ability to recover from an ohshit situation because I've done it so much and know the theory/physics of it

but letting a girl drive a horribly unsafe rwd shitbox spiritedly, alone, with no real experience? holy fuck I would be so incredibly worried, possibly to the point of mental breakdown because I love that person so much and I don't want them to die you know

I bought my NA6 off a guy who let his wife use it whenever as a runabout in a large city, holy fuck they're so unsafe, if I had someone I was married to or something, I would probably get them a Subaru Outback or a large modern sedan of some sort, it's just too fucking scary knowing your life could be shattered by a small mistake on someones part and your wife/gf/whatever died because they were driving a tiny shitbox

that's why I hate lifted trucks but that's a whole 'nother argument...

You're a bit of a nancy, mate.

yeah i know

tldr all the gay shit:

I couldn't stand my completely inexperienced gf driving a dangerous car, both from a point of car control and crash safety

If I had a wife and godforbid kids I'd stick the cunt in a new Volvo because women can't be trusted with driving, but they have a wet hole between their legs so that can be overlooked and I wouldn't want them to die

>indicating becomes a habit
>indicate off the drag strip a couple of times.
lol.

i think i also indicate onto pitlane by force of habit.

This. It takes no effort to indicate, and letting yourself get into a habit of not indicating only leads to tickets and accident.

From California, was in pheonix. You guys have the nicest fucking roads, smooth and clean. My only complaint is how shitty many of the drivers were.

I would be afraid if someone who was clearly bad at driving thought they were hot shit, but if he judged her as skilled and quick-learning then it's not as big an issue.

My sister is a complete fucking moron behind the wheel and I'd never let her in anything with more than 90 horsepower. I don't trust her driving because she thinks a car is an appliance and doesn't even bother trying to understand the physics at play on the road. She once asked me what the point of flappy paddles was, like why anyone would want that instead of full-automatic. I tried to explain that with manual you can control the amount of power you're putting down better, and she replied "that's stupid."

If she borrowed my car and I heard tires squealing as she left, I'd probably jump in the nearest available vehicle and run her off the road myself before she killed somebody else.

making my way downtown

I honk people who don't indicate properly.

> Driving mother to family event
> user DON'T DRIVE SO FAST
> DON'T FOLLOW SO CLOSE TO THE CAR IN FRONT
> OOOO LOOK AT THAT THING OUT THE WINDOW
> LOOK OUT FOR HORSES
> OOH LOOK THERE'S HORSES THERE
> WE NEED TO STOP I NEED A CIGARETTE
> Your music is too loud
> Your music is awful
> I'm going to wear headphones and listen to my music and shout over it to tell you to look at things that aren't the road
> Going home
> Nighttime
> Wet roads
> Dishes in the back clink together every time the car moves
> Stony silence the whole way as I try and drive on roads that were fun and twisty in the daytime
> Now they're invisible and unlit and I can't see the fucking roadside
> Get on the motorway, talking starts again
> Criticising my choice in route from motorway to home
> She barely drives, and doesn't know how fucktarded drivers are at night these days
> Or how they've ruined various roads to stop overtaking

> Dad's in town
> Go see him
> Get driven somewhere
> My foot reflexively thuds into the firewall every so often as he brakes way too late
> He complains about how hard it is to tow a caravan in a FWD people carrier
> That he sold his big SUV for
So glad I learned never to trust him as a role model before he taught me any awful habits.

It's all three of you cunts. Get off the road.

I dont honk at people very often.
>goes to merge infront of me
>literally half a meter away
>HONK

>coming up to intersection
>left and right sides have to give way, theres a sign
>huge dip
>slow down for dip
>guy giving way to me mistakes this as me giving way to him
>he goes
>HOONNK
>gives me a pathetic sorry wave

most of the time i dont have time to honk, you just break/accelerate to avoid the accident
But that said, i do give people who dont indicate, drive erradically, whatever ALOT of distance. I'll slow down alot to make a 4 or 5 car gap away from them. I dunno what kind of crazy shit they might do.

good man

One time when I was like 18, my older sister and her boyfriend were at a party drinking and she called me for a ride home. I was way more drunk than her and went and drove them home anyway.

Yup.

Pic related, it's you.

Oh boy don't even get me started

>user slow down
>user drive faster
>user don't go to close
>user get closer

For fuck sakes its like driving with children taking the piss

And then directions, My fuck, Wait until the last second amd then gets pissed when you miss the exit because you are trying to avoid a bloody accident. This is why I generally don't like driving in Car's with other people? Because the vast majority will always have something to say about what you are doing which ruins the ride for me.

Give me a motorbike any day.

Not family, but this happened last week.

>getting ride home from bar with friend driving
>he's going 15 over and driving like a madman at 2:00 AM
>tell him to slow down
>he looks at me, smiles and floors it
>right past the police station and a cop that was leaving
>gets second DUI

Dumbass.

you seem like likeable and well adjusted adult

>call my dad a nigger
>he pulls the hand brake
>end up in a fucking ravine
>1988 Civic completely totaled

>grew up in crowded LA suburb
>taught by family members to basically drive 10 under the speed limit everywhere
>move to rural Nebraska
>parents visiting
>driving a little over the speed limit on empty country road
>"user SLOW DOWN WHAT IF A KID COMES RUNNING ACROSS THE ROAD?!"

>I indicate off roundabouts because its the law in my country.

People who don't are totally inconsiderate cunts who should be castrated and parted from a driver's licence. They are one of the main reasons why busy roundabouts get jammed.

But do you indicate if you followed the main road from the sign in pic related?

Thats true

t. Audi owner

Nobody indicates on roundabouts near me, I can always tell if they're gonna turn or not by looking at the front wheels and the lean of their car. Git gud.

I'm jealous, Dallas' roads are the stuff of nightmares.

>Give 55 year old Dad a life in my EV a while back, he loves the silence and smoothness.
>few months later he traded in towards a (almost new) Tesla Model S
>Gave me a lift home from christmas in it
>Have a look at all the neat features because my Soul EV is a lovely little car but nothing near as fancy
>His average wh/m is like 550
>He's usually driving alone and doesn't carry much in the car

I don't know how someone can drive that inefficiently, he must fucking gun it on the motorway constantly with the heater turned on max, even then it seems high.

>But do you indicate if you followed the main road from the sign in pic related?
People here including me generally do, though exceptions exist. Not indicating would mean you want to go straight.

I know a number of "car enthusiasts", who will claim that you don't indicate since you don't turn off from the main road.

Depending on how the road is actually laid out, if it's clearly the main flow of the road to follow round and the other 2 turnings are minor roads then no, if it's less clear then yes.

Really? In my personal experience people drive alot of more aggressively in california than here in the midwest.

>TURN HERE!!!!11
- my mum after i've just gone through an intersection

I think thats women in general

This.

Its just a good habit if nothing else

>buy car
>sitting in driveway fixing the hackjob radio install the previous owner did
>uncle comes and sits in the back seat
>user u kno wat ur car needs
>here we go
>u need big rims like red mags im going to get red mags for my car hey u should lift ur car and take it on the beach its 4wd right no you can make it 4wd im pretty sure my friend did it doesnt ur radio work are u tryin 2 fix it here ill play music on my phone
>oh no
>cue metallica or some other shit played at max volume while he bangs his hands on the seat to the music
death cant come fast enough

>user ANON THERE'S A STOP SIGN WTF
>dad that's not for us

>mom keeps pumping that invisible brake pedal

Kek, my mom is old and I drive everywhere if we go somewhere as a family. She still freaks out even though I'm by far the most competent driver. I just went to the Keys with them a week ago and drove 3hrs there, kayaked all day, and drove 3hrs back and then took her down to South Beach on NYE and she gets so nervous with the traffic and crazy add drivers.

I really don't mind driving with anybody in my family though. My older sister is a good driver and my little brother is a tad aggressive but still bretty gud. My mom is a decent driver too but the older she gets the more nervous other drivers make her. None of them ever really complain if I drive except my mom doesn't like when I'm playing on my phone on the highway.

>boss keeps audibly crushing the door handle in his fat hand while anticipating collision
>collisions are anticipated when not breaking sooner than 100m@50kmph

>endangering my family because im a dumb teenager LOL weed 420

I once sniffed a bunch of Ambien and imediately afterward drove a car of 4 or 5 people to my friend's lake house 3hrs away. If it wasn't all highway driving at midnight, I probably would've crashed.

Dude riding shotgun was tripping on shrooms too. That was an interesting drive. I did a lot of really, really dumb stuff when I was younger.

>PROTIP:
Don't drive on benzos or Ambien. You don't feel messed up like when you drive drunk, but then you will come up to a stop sign and end up stopping halfway through the intersection. It is dangerous because of that.

You think U.S roads are shit? Go to literally any country south of you. New York level shit is considered good.

>just got my license
>went to go pick up mom and celebrate cause fuck yeah
>driving, shoddy clutch release
>revving Hugh ss fuck from stops
>every shift is whiplash
>mum "user, lemme show you somethin"
>floors it
>flying through the gears
>every shift was butter, I could barely feel it
>executes silky smooth heel-toes into the on-ramp
>this continues for 15min till TGI Fridays
>"user I've beem racing longer than you can drive, don't feel bad, but learn"
>Mfw utterly destroyed by my mum

You realize when you ride with your father, you turn into your mother.

That honestly sounds hilarious

this desu, everyone in my family is complaining about anything
>omg user you missed the green light and ran orange
>omg slow down this and that looks so cool
>WHY ARE YOU OVERTAKING THAT SLOW TRACTOR YOU ARE INSANEEEEEEEE
>omg sry I broke it but it looks ok and WATCH OUT THERE IS SPEED LIMIT

>Streets are completely empty
>Speed up and drift around corners
>Hear a scream and remember that I'm giving my relatives a ride
>Immediately park and check on them
>They looked as if they were accepting death

Was the last time they fell asleep with me on the wheel :^)

Reminds me of this
>have a bunch of people in my car for a rovers road rally
>na 300zx in the rain
>I usually have the same dudes in my car because they all think it's cool
>forget I have this head-girl type social butterfly in the back seat
>get bored during one stage
>big wide wet corner, check
>no other cars, no witnesses, check
>rev it up a bit and kick the clutch
>big z roars and flies around the corner pretty sideways
>hear screaming from the back
>oh yeah that's right
>counter steer, straighten up and continue driving like a nana
>mfw if I'm caught "speeding" again I'm kicked from the rovers

People who indicate they are going around the roundabout when they are actually going straight.. Reeeeeee. I had to stop and give way to you you cunt!

>indicate
>saying indicate and not signal
>yuropoors

>leaving disney world with gf and her family, her mom is driving
>mom, dad, brother, her
>I don't really talk much, I'm from the east coast and they're so western
>hit the highway
>we start talking about random shit, most I've talked around them, long trip
>about an hour in her blind dad breaks out a fat blunt
>wtf hard, don't worry about it
>passes it to the mom, she hits it and passes it back to me
>not one to be a killjoy, hit that shit with gusto and pass
>we all start talking about all sorts of stuff, having a good time
>her dad says I'm really cool and should try and talk more, especially since it's all he has to go on

That was fun

lmao fite me nigger

Does the blind dad roll his own blunts?
If so that's fuckin sweet

Learned to drive when I was 14 on a dirt road, first day getting my learners permit, Dad tells me we're going to my aunts throws me the keys and naps the whole 3 hour trip

Have you heard of the wonderful state of New Jersey? Horrible roads and worse drivers.

I used to honk at people but I figured it would be easier for me to evade or get away from them or whatever than honk. If these people get honked at I feel like it puts them under more pressure and they could end up doing something even stupider

>I indicate off roundabouts because its the law in my country.

It's not actually.

There's a few crazy tight hairpins near my place that i've found myself indicating for.

It doesn't even make sense, I think my brain is just wired to indicate if i'm turning more than 90 degrees or some shit.

>mum
>TGI fridays

That chain is ouside burgerland?

This. I don't usually do it coming off roundabouts though since it confuses people as it's a relatively new rule for my area and any driver over 30 doesn't know about it. Everything else though, I absolutely do it. Even when two lanes merge into one and I rarely see anyone else indicate for that.

>go out driving with my dad to pick up his car from the mechanic
>doing exactly the speed limit, needle right on the mark
>cars always catch up to me like crazy since everyone speeds here
>dad gets pissed and tells me its OK to go 5 or more over
>refuse because tickets
>he gets mad everytime and says i wont get ticketed for speeding
>meanwhile everyone has been getting ticketed lately for even being 2 over
>and my dad had two tickets from just the last few weeks
>he still encourages me to speed
>pisses me off and also pissed off my mother for him trying to teach me bad driving habits

1. I'm American, I keeps autocorrecting to mum.
2. I don't know about Europe but I've been to TGI Fridays in South Korea and Japan.

>tfw my dad tought me how to drive when I was 10
>zero tickets and drive responsibly

Trips of truth. Dallas makes me want to kill myself

Love it the absolute lads what I like to see

>be part time private chauffeur
>driving in dad's new Lexus
>he falls asleep
That's pretty much it.

>on the autobahn
>130kph in the left lane
>disengage cruise control, let it roll
>''Why are you slowing down''
>''Because that BMW in the right lane is going to overtake that lorry and cut me off''
>On cue, BMW moves into left lane without indicating
>I don't even have to touch the brakes because I already scrubbed enough speed off
>Dad goes back to sleep

Meanwhile, he's within half a second of someone's bumper during overtaking. regularly has to hit the brakes on the Autobahn and can't anticipate more than two or three cars ahead.

not much of a story
>mom didn't pass her test until her 40's when she got divorced
>probably worst driver I know
>shes accidentally put her car into reverse and hit the car behind her when setting off on several occasions
>pass my test and take her for a drive
>grabs my fucking steering wheel every 30 seconds
>any time I'm about to turn or maneuver she goes for the wheel

First and last time I've driven her

>driving with grandparents in their car
>a light turns yellow without adequate time to stop the car without standing on the brakes
>continue to putter along at the speed limit through the yellow light, safely clearing the intersection
>"we'll forgive you for that cuz it's a car you're not used to but don't do it again."
>fucking old people.

Walking fast
Faces pass
And I'm home bound

>>grabs my fucking steering wheel every 30 seconds
>>any time I'm about to turn or maneuver she goes for the wheel
That is how you fucking die.

Kind of a differently story but still relatable.

>Dad brings moms car into my tire shop for a rotation/rebalance
"Did you guys even actually rebalance the wheels?"
"Yeah, I did it myself."
"Then why are the weights still on there?"
"That wheel balanced out."
"I want to bring it in and watch you do it."

Second time:
>Dad brings in his car for air
>tires all at 24/35 PSI
"No, that's impossible. There's something wrong with the tires."
"How often do you put air in them?"
"Every 5,000 miles."
"It's supposed to be every month."
"No, something's wrong with the tires."

He told me he thinks we still the customers chrome caps to sell them and make money off of them. We literally just toss them aside when we put new ones on, and sweep them up at the end of the day.