Miata/Mx5 NC

Assuming for a moment that this is not a busriders forum on a Taiwanese wardrobe manufacturing board, can anyone who has owned one of these give me some info on them?

What are they like to daily drive?
Will my balls get frostbite in the cabin in winter?
Are they hard on petrol/maintenance?
Is the electric roof ever known to malfunction and stay down?
Are they easily robbed? - Lots of shitskins where i live.

Based in UK if that makes any difference to where they are built and reliabilty etc.

I daily a 28 year old NA so take it for what its worth

1. They are completely fine to daily drive. The only annoying thing is stop and go traffic and this is mainly a symptom of driving a manual car, not a MX-5

2. No, MX-5 motors generate a shit ton of heat. This isn't some SUV V6 that calmly purrs along at 1500 RPM. You are always milking the power so revs stay high therefore heat production is high. Even in my shitty soft top, I stay perfectly warm in my car

3. MX-5 fuel economy is actually quite underwhelming considering its power output. I don't know why desu. Around 25mpg-30mpg is the usual. Maintenance is dirt cheap and easy. This is the most produced car in its category, there are parts everywhere

4. don't know shit about electric roofs. just get a hard top

5. no easier than any other car. most people steal hard tops

Thanks user. Ever have trouble with leaks in the roof or water ingress from channels?

UK is pretty fucking wet.

No, the only time I ever had a leak was when I went through an industrial car wash like an idiot. The pressure was so intense that it blew out the soft panel in the back of the soft top and compromised the rubber seals along the door. Modern soft tops are much better and you would never encounter this issue with a hard top

Have a meteor grey 6speed in my driveway right now.

What are they like to daily drive?
>I have a 110 mile commute daily at 75+ mph, so to answer that question - I just bought a Mazda6 last night. If you can deal with the very very high road and engine noise at that speed, go for it. But I needed a car to go snowboarding with anyway, so I got a dd. On stock suspension and tires, it's actually reasonably comfy, I would prolly still be DDing it if I lived in a warm area.
Will my balls get frostbite in the cabin in winter?
>no, the cabin is so small the car heats up extremely fast.
Are they hard on petrol/maintenance?
>I easily got 30mpg every highway tank and 26 every mixed tank and I beat all over this little fucker. Very easy to work on, after you develop a good method of getting it lifted.
Is the electric roof ever known to malfunction and stay down?
>I have a soft top since the prht adds so much weight. Though that would probably help with the noise, I have no clue
Are they easily robbed? - Lots of shitskins where i live.
>I have always left my soft tops unlocked with valuables locked up or not present. Again, with prht it's just like a regular car.

The channels can get clogged by leaves, I just check every month. Also buy a trombone brush. I live in a very similarly wet area, and haven't had a problem yet.

I can't get over how fuck ugly they are compared to every other Miata that's existed. Why would you buy this piece of shit

Also, the transmission (manual at least) takes a while to heat up in winter so you will notice 1->2 in particular and the rest of the gears being extra notchy when you first start driving then just get smoother and smoother.

I've driven one and while I can't say much about owning one I do know that the rear view mirror is right in my face and takes up more visibility than I'm completely comfortable with. You might be able to adjust that a bit, or it might be better if you use a mirror that isn't also a garage door opener.

It's a lot more difficult to get out of than an SUV if you don't leave enough room to open the door quite a bit.

If you have the heated seats, you can drive in winter with the top down.

If you have a power hard top, the car should come with a few things that let you manually open and close it if it does break. (They're not intended for permanent use.)

one very good thing about the NC is that the 2.5 mzr engine drops right in.

with how much support there is for this an how cheap 2.5L mzr's are the swap is almost as common as 1.8 swaps into 1.6 NA miata's.

Unfortunately you'll be the laughingstock of anyone who actually tracks cars for putting a truck engine in a Miata and going dieselmode with your redline.

2.5L is great for street driving with some cams and bolt ons maybe some higher compression pistons. The engine is cheap so why not.

For track most people turbo their 2.5L since it's great for spooling and making big power

What's wrong with the stock 2.0?

my friend has a 2.5 swap and 2.0 feels so gutless compared to it.

also 2.5 sound fucking awesome with a good exhaust setup

looks alright in person, it's looks much lower and wider than it does

not an issue on modern soft tops really. Could become one in the coming years as the cars get older though

If you don't have a massive commute an MX5 is pretty based, just be aware there's less space around you in the cabin than in a regular car, and the trunk is tiny.

Not a big problem per se, but it might take some getting used to. Probably depends on the cars you onwed before, your shopping habits etc

*...than it does IN PICTURES.

accidently deleted that, sorry

Just get an NB.
>faster
>sexier
>cheaper
>more spares available
The NC is literally a plastic-looking mid-2000s hairdresser car, while the NB with a hardtop looks like a classic British coupe.

Ah, I see. That sounds rad.

Performance is one thing, but NB is by far the most uninspired-looking one.

>tfw have an NB but want an NC

NC is just a better car. And for the price of an AP2 s2000 you could have a very nice modified NC /w a 2.5L

>tfw cant wait for my 2.0 to pop so i can 2.5 swap my NC

I had the hard top for a while. The temp was fine, it was slightly noisy at high speeds on the high way. The roof makes it annoying to see because of big blindspots.

Loved the car. Little bit on the pussy side of sports car but very fun for the price.

Also, normies think its the same thing as a corvette and think you are bad ass. which is hilarious to me.

lol, my friends all think my NA is fast as shit. they have never been in it but they say it looks like its fast

the new miata looks amazing

>tfw on a waiting list for a fucking miata
I don't know how well the RFs are going to selling, but the fact that I'm on a waiting list to purchase one give me hope. If the RF does well maybe one day we can actually see a bigger engine or even some type of turbo Miata.

>faster
lol no, NC is faster
unless you want to argue with a goddamn koenigsegg test driver
>sexier
it's the gayest
>cheaper
only matters if you're a poorfag
>more spares available
i'll give you that one

NC is a superior car
also, NB fags are the worst

I also DD a '91.

>What are they like to daily drive?
Since you're usually only hauling yourself into work, for me it's the perfect commuter car. Just hope you don't have to deal with tons of traffic.

>Will my balls get frostbite in the cabin in winter?
Once the car warms up, the heat works a little too well. I normally have to turn it down after the cabin warms up, otherwise I'll be sweltering.

>Are they hard on petrol/maintenance?
It's gas mileage is comparable to the mileage a sedan from the same year can get, and the NAs are piss easy to work on. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

>Are they easily robbed? - Lots of shitskins where i live.
If you get a soft top, treat the cabin as an open space. I don't bother locking my doors because I'd rather they steal from my change tray and take my cheap $25 aftermarket radio than slash my soft top to get in. If you get a hard top, it's basically like any other car.