What was the smoothest v8? those of you who have driven quiet a few, you are out there

what was the smoothest v8? those of you who have driven quiet a few, you are out there.
it sure wasnt the ford 5.0
i havent driven many mopars so i cant really make an opinion

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jJx6isKzgAg
youtube.com/watch?v=X1vZenBX4-0
youtube.com/watch?v=nvSRrzy41jc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1uz

Anything with a mild cam will be smooth. Stuff that was in the large luxury cars of the time.

It sure as shit ain't gonna be american, most likely german or italian. Irc theres a video of a glass of water on top of some german v8 and the water never moved through the whole rev range.

4.6 DOHC 32 Valve VVT Northstar V8 on Cadillac DTS models

1UZ

at least that Ive experienced

granted Ive only been in American V8s outside of that

/thread

This.
Northstar runner up.

that cross ram is so sexy

that engine is a piece of shit, but i'll give it that. It's smooth as fuck

Mmm look at that butt

The Cadillac big block. 390/429/472/500. They were smoooooooth as silk, and had GOBS of torque, all the way down at 1200 rpm. Because the torque came on so strong, and and at just off idle, even though you had upwards of 400 horsepower under your right foot, you never felt a damned thing. And how much torque are we talking about? 525 ft lbs with the 472, 550 ft lbs with the 500.

2UZ-FE

Drysdale 1000cc V8, revs to 15k rpm using a slave and master piston rod design

4.9 L HT-4900 V8 on '92 Caddy

Smooth as silk & would out-maneuver every twenty year old with a honda or subaru. Too bad she started to leak and had to sell.

I may get flamed for this but the 5.4 Triton in my 2003 f-250 is smooth as silk. Might be the heavy flywheel but it has zero discernable vibrations or irregularities even under full throttle.

I am not a Ford fan, all my other cars are Japanese so I say this without bias.

came here to post this

youtube.com/watch?v=jJx6isKzgAg

my uncle had a Cadi with a 472 or 500

they had like 200 hp and lumbered around like a mule

Yeah they weren't good at all. 70-89 Cadillacs were fun but by no means 'smooth'.

lol no it wasnt a german car. it was the 1UZ from the Lexus LS

sounds pretty oppressive

Yes

absolutely patrician

No such thing as a Cadillac big block.

thats a great way to make the crank smaller

what is a big block? take a 400M ford for example
it had small block and big block bolt patterns cast in it. which was it?

came here to post this. The smoothest V8 ever is Toyota's 1UZ-FE 4.0L DOHC 32 valve V8. As a bonus, it's also FAA certified for use in planes.
youtube.com/watch?v=X1vZenBX4-0

Cadillac Northstar is a close second. Holy shit those are smooth.

It's a medium block, but leans on the small block side do to its 351c roots.

actually i wanted the definition of big block

>what is a big block?
No one actually knows but everyone will give you their opinion.
Pro tip: it has nothing to do with the size of the block

*due

over 4.5" bore spacing

there is no actual big block definition

1uz and vh41. the vh45 was a close second.

and the vvti variant is even smoother. 400 rpm idle is common

Yup. Can barely even tell if my 4runner is running when it's idling.

A block with distinctively larger outside dimensions larger than that of an existing architecture. The 400M is a small block, based on the Cleveland and shared external dimensions with that of the small block line. And what bolt patterns? Bellhousing? That means fuckall, I can get a Chevrolet pattern put on a Buick block and it'll mean fuck. All the old Cadillac V8s were based on one block. All the old Pontiac V8s were based on one block.

Pontiacs had a 4.62" bore spacing and there's no such thing as a big or small block Pontiac V8.

>over 4.5" bore spacing

so you would consider every Olds Pontiac and Studebaker V8 a big block?

this guy gets it

Yes, if you are using the Chrysler/Ford/GM big/small block way of looking at things I would still apply the same 4.5" rule. I am aware that things like the Porsche 928 V8 and Nissan VK are therefore big blocks.

"Big" isn't a measurement, "big" in regard to what? It's a relative qualifier and blocks of a single architecture don't have anything to be referenced against- By your definition, freighter ship engines with 10 FOOT bore spacing fall into the catchall of "big block," only it's a "MORE BIGGER BLOCK." The term lacks precision and is uninformative without context, wanna know why? It was a marketing gimmick come slang like "posi" with at its best loose parameters so attempting to codify any substantial definition is fucking retarded. You wanna know what are big blocks and what aren't in the REAL capacity? Big blocks are what the manufacturer said are big blocks.

>By your definition, freighter ship engines with 10 FOOT bore spacing fall into the catchall of "big block,"
Sounds like a definition I agree with. Or do you consider that a small block?

Things are relative

A 8mm bore shotgun would be awfully small bore for a shotgun and a 12.7mm bore rifle would be fuck huge

Why 4.5" as the be all end all separation in your eyes?

Becuase that's the traditonal demarcation line agreed upon by previous generations

400M

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE! It's just a 400. It shares a block with the 351M as opposed to the 351W or 351C. It's a 400 not a 400M REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

interesting.
i saw a 3uz ls400 at my shop today, and i thought there was something wrong with the car because the idle was so low.

With Koenigsegg™ Freevalve™ technology we can get idle speeds as low as 100rpm

>3uz
>ls400

no. it was either a 1uz in an ls400 or the 3uz in the ls430

I feel the same but once the Ford Motorsport catalog had 400M in a section title ONE TIME a thousand years ago everybody that wants to show they're right runs and grabs that so I gave up.

Then there's the whole M, Modified, or Michigan thing and the less said about that the better

Smoothest mass manufacturer V8's I've ever felt have been Fords. The 4.6 and a regular 390.

this is the correct answer, smoothest v8 ever made.

>small cam
>heavy flywheel

there u go

fpbp

That's nonsense. The 260 and 289 are still Windsors regardless as to whether or not they didn't share a common capacity.
The Ford 400 is most definitely an "M".

Since Ford only made one 400 why does it need a further descriptor? That's his point. The 351's need it due to there being three versions (well ok two and a half lol) but the 400 doesn't need it any more than a 352 does.

ls1 with a stock cam is incredibly smooth

Sbc with a 4/7 timing swap

rip in piece bottom end.

or are we going to have a Koenigsegg™ Smartoil™ pump?

Better question: what is the least smooth V8?

What's wrong with the 4.6? I've been thinking of getting one

1993-2001 variants had a problem with the headgaskets blowing because of the cylinder head studs. do the headgaskets and replace the studs with aftermarket ARP ones and the problem never resurfaces.

Big block with a cam. Literally shakes the ground.

youtube.com/watch?v=nvSRrzy41jc

1uz

buttery smooth even while idling low

I just came