GM B-Body vs. Ford Panther Body

Which is better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IVTz2lSePSw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice#Fourth_generation_.281991.E2.80.931996.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine#L99
youtube.com/watch?v=cte6zGU1e1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=5gelX4LfiC0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

neither.
The B-body cars were faster and had better engines
but the Panthers were better handling.
youtube.com/watch?v=IVTz2lSePSw

Panthers overall. GM B-Bodies were unbeatable if they came with the 5.7L, but pretty rare to find a Caprice or Impala SS with a 5.7L, most of them came with a V6. Panthers were far more reliable thanks to the 4.6L being bullet proof and had much better handling. Crown Vics are dime in a dozen, and I'll be damned if someone could not find a part at an auto store or junkyard.

>most of them came with a V6
91-96 Caprices were V8 only.
early on there was a 305 5.0L but it was quickly killed off. 94-96, there was a 4.3L L99 V8 (basically a 283 LT1), or the 5.7L LT1

B-Body for the jellybean wagons.

does it really matter?
I would love to take either one and try to get E39 M5 performance out of the engines (which would have to stay N/A) and suspension.

Now with pictures. The '80s Country Squire just doesn't compare in my opinion.

hhhnnnnggggggg

I had a '92 Buick Roadmaster Limited Edition. That thing could really pick up. Never drove a crown vic but i'd like to get a 2011 just to compare

Apparently Fleetwood front clips swap right over to the other models including the wagons.

Panther by a long shot.

Is the impala SS 90's aesthetic ?

considering the Impala SS was an appearance package, yes.

My dad said that back in the day, the police would argue over who got to drive the 9C1 caprices and who got stuck with the interceptors.

I personally own both a 1994 9C1 Caprice and a 2011 Crown Vic Interceptor. I live in both worlds. Although my Crown Vic is a nice solid dependable car, I feel that my Caprice was all around the better car.

Caprice has a larger interior
stock seats were more comfy
Caprice engine is more powerful
smoother ride, Vic has a stiffer suspension
Caprice is easier to get in and out of.
Caprice has a bigger trunk where the Crown Vic merely has a deeper trunk
The Crown Vic stock speakers are fucking garbage, holy fuck, I cant express that enough. Caprice has 22 year old speakers and they are still better quality
stock stereo in crown vic changes volume at random times.

Really the main thing I like the Crown Vic over the Caprice is the cost of gas. Crown vic is slightly more fuel efficient and has a smaller tank to fill and can take 87 without any problem.
Plus Crown vic parts can be scavenged anywhere since they had such a long production run.

you morons are going to start a meme

The 4.3L is the V6 from the S10/Silverado.

Yes it gives me a boner

> stock stereo in crown vic changes volume at random times.

Are you sure that's not a feature with the stereo adjusting to road noise? It's pretty common.

No, happened pretty randomly. last time it happened I was sitting in my driveway waiting for the car to warm up and out of nowhere the volume spiked. The volume knob in general seemed faulty. I ended up taking a stereo out of my friends old ford minivan. I noticed many fords at the time had the same sized stereos. Now I got a CD and tape player instead of only a radio.

Ah, ok. Yeah the knob may have been doing it.

Ahem.
No it isn't.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice#Fourth_generation_.281991.E2.80.931996.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine#L99

>pretty rare to find a Caprice or Impala SS with a 5.7L, most of them came with a V6.
Well, all Impala SSs were 5.7 LT1. As the other anons said, none of the whale-gens were V6. Some of the mid-late '80s boxes were 4.3 V6, they're basically all dead now. '77-9 boxes had the last of the stovebolt straight six, they're all dead now too.
>Panthers were far more reliable thanks to the 4.6L being bullet proof
Yeah those early 4.6s don't all blow oil at some point, not at all. Also the engine is the only part of a car.

>Fleetwood front clips swap right over to the other models including the wagons.
So much for no fap 2017.

It wouldn't even be a contest if the Panthers came in wagon form from '92 onward instead of sedan only.

Grand Marquis > Roadmaster > Caprice > Marauder > Crown Vic > Town Car

C body Mopar

I once saw a Buick wagon with a Roadmaster sedan front end swap instead of the shared chevy-buick front, fucking 10/10

Master race, but too rare

>Buick wagon with a Roadmaster sedan front end swap instead of the shared chevy-buick front, fucking 10/10
Many want

thats my dream desu
pristine roadmaster woody wagon with a n/a ls swap

>n/a ls swap
I understand the LS but it's been done to death.
Why not make a hybrid motor from the SBC parts bin.
I'd make a more modern 302 SBC.
>1986-1999 350 non-LT1 block for 1 piece rear seal and no optispark
>L99 LT family 4.3L crankshaft
Everything else would basically be LT1 stuff, but it would give you a modern 302 with the superior 1 piece rear main seal.

>Yeah those early 4.6s don't all blow oil at some point, not at all. Also the engine is the only part of a car.

You can only say that for first gen modular 4.6's 1991-1995 when Ford used shit mexican valve stems. The problems that the LT1 had far outweighed problems that the 4.6 had. Why in gods name did Chevy place the distributor behind the complicated ass waterpump, I'll have no idea. Just like the C4 vette, LT1's all had the cluster-fuck wiring and main computers that would fry themselves after a good 100k.

Also the AODE/4R70E can also stand the 200k+ mi mark with a trans flush every 50k-100k.

panthers are already a meme, b bodies less so, except for the impala SS

It's the new gtr vs corvette meme kek

Rate this 9C1
305's all the way around, lsd in the back, LT1 with old Spectre intake and Ravin exhaust kit (although rusted out so straight pipe for now)

b body vs panther body is a lot more interesting since most Veeky Forumstist can afford one of those.

looks good m8
how does it ride?
i've heard the 9c1s suspension is pretty punishing to drive

>Rate this 9C1
>Windshield banner
>wind deflectors
>5% tint
>clear corners
>chrome fender lip moulding
>black bow tie
>tire pokage
>monocolor paint style with chrome spotlight for godssake
>black door pulls with monocolor paint style
>aftermarket side mirrors in wrong shade of paint

ghettotastic

Punishing overstates it.

It is noticeably firmer than a retail Caprice but it's not that bad. If you took somebody on a ride that had never been in a retail version they'd probably think it's fairly soft by modern standards. My current Lincoln LS is firmer fwiw.

Well with the lsd it hops sometimes in the back on shit roads, but it handles 10/10 on good roads
>tfw can hit 70 on circle exit ramps

Yea it is not gonna lie

i'd have damned you many times then

You know if you can't find a drivetrain component for the 4.6 that it's the same engine as a Mustang GT, right?

The Panthers have tons of stuff parts-binned from other cars as well.

C-Body master race.

The C-body was just an offshoot of the B-body, as was the D-body. Cadillac were the only ones to have FWD C-bodies, which was done by having the front suspension from the Eldorado's E-body.

TL;DR, it's a FWD B-body.

FWD C-body bears no relation whatsoever to the RWD B/C/D-body, it simply replaced the RWD C-body in 1985. Similarly, it's close relative, the FWD H-body, partially replaced the B-body in 1986.

1991 B body non issue 350 LT were 305 in 1991 Ford panther besides Lincoln had the 302 which produced more torque, and HP than the standard GM 305. Lincoln Towns in 91 was the first modular 281 with much faster response. In 1994 GM issued the 9C1 in the impala SS and service Caprice however, Ford modular were interchangeable from the 2v sohc to a 3v sob and shared the same block and enternals to accept the 4v dohc. 1993 was also the first year for the 32v 281 in the Lincoln m8 @280 hp later in 97 jumping 290. Ford made a much better block and transmission. Better rear end. So I'd say Panther. I still see old 1991 to 2005 Panthers on the road. Can't say that for GM

You never said anything bout the drivetrain in your first post

youtube.com/watch?v=cte6zGU1e1Y
all motor

but can it corner or turn like an E39 M5? THAT would be the end-goal. Something that can match an E39 on any track in cornering and driving dynamics.

The most kino B-body of them all
youtube.com/watch?v=5gelX4LfiC0

My Googlin says the b-body by a mile

I was the one who made that post. Unless you have an aero vic 92-94 with a custom color interior, you're going to be able to locate every part on a crown vic easily. You gotta live in a shithole redneck town to find parts without ordering online.

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN
nice car but jesus fucking christ what horrible editing

Bump

Brother

No. Not even close

I'd probably take an Impala SS over a Marauder, though it's pretty close.

LTD
T
D

Niether because I'm not old, autistic or black

I've owned both, personally I prefer panthers and will keep stock piling them.
Wouldn't turn down a clean B body though.

And the last B body I owned, fuck this was nearly a decade ago.

Driving around in a second gen WBody Impala wishing I was in a 94-96 Impala SS.

Panther better handling, engine & Ford

t. Airplane guy

want