What is this?

..and how expensive will it be to fix? Originally thought a hose was leaking so have been using distilled water instead of anti-freeze for like half a month, they weren't, then my brother put in a new thermostat and refilled everything with distilled water and that seemed to fix the issue, but then it started overheating again, and the steam was coming from a new area. Let it cool down and was confused why the coolant tank was still full, then started filling the radiator with distilled water and saw it leaking from here. Not sure if it's just that cap, or if it's that thing bolted there. Thanks if you can help me.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/qr1ve
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks like your car has the gay

You're gonna need to junk it

We need a little more information.

What car?

Sorry, Honda Civic 1998.

Probably.

More pics with more of the engine bay showing please.
Don't much about hondas but most 90s japboxes are similar.

Ok, that's more in my ballpark.

Full pic of engine bay, with part circled?

Here you go: imgur.com/a/qr1ve

And thanks.

Looks like a pump to me Echofag, power steering?
I've never wrenched on a Ronda before idk.

imgur.com/a/qr1ve

Thanks for any help you can give!

Nice burrito kid.
Is this an automatic?

Cool me neither

Might be a water pump, I'm assuming it's deep in the bay.

OP are there any noticable problems like overheating or heavy steering?

Thanks. Just deleted it. And yeah, automatic.

Also sorry for all the pics, some of them I took when I just parked after it overheated and the steam was coming from an unclear location, around that cap but originally looked like it was coming from the little hoses/whatever those things are around it. After it cooled down and I started filling up the radiator I could see a clear stream of water coming from either the cap or the bolted area below, hard to tell.

My brother is going to look at it when he gets a day off but I don't know when that will be and I would rather kind of have an idea what the problem might be and at least the name of those parts before I go over there.

Yes, overheating. I was driving around town fine for a good distance though, and I guess it just started overheating when the radiator finally ran out of fluid from that leak. It's overheated a few times, each time we thought the issue was probably solved because I was able to drive around for a while. No noticeable issue with steering.

Thanks. I'm looking into it. Water pumps for this car don't really look like it but kind of do at the same time so I can see why you'd think it was a water pump. Maybe it is. Water is definitely leaking from it. Although it only leaks when I pour it the water into the radiator. Would it do that if it was a water pump? Wouldn't it be called an anti-freeze pump if it was pumping fluid from the radiator? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm a retard when it comes to cars.

Yeah nah water pumps run off of crankshaft rotation, usually belt on engine on these shitboxes.
I don't know anything about honda trannies, but it could be some kind of cooler pump for the tranny. I'd look into "90s civic transmission cooling" on google or something.

That is your transmission lock up sensor/solenoid. It's literally on your transmission. Coolant would not be leaking from that. It's leaking from somewhere else. Probably near the coolant temp sensor right above it (ECT) look around there. That is not a "water pump" holy shit lol. And for god sake replace that distributor o ring. That's where your oil leak is coming from. Or the can seal.

t. Honda mechanic of 5 years.

Thank you so much. Asked about the oil leak here before actually. Didn't know that part was called the "distributor o ring". People kept telling me it was the sparks plugs but I think they must have misunderstood what part I was asking about. I wish there was an under the hood labeled image for Honda Civics. It's impossible to google any of these things and how to fix them if you don't even know what they're called.

Also surprised it's not leaking from there. Image doesn't show it as well but I would have sworn it was coming from either that cap or the bolted area below it but that's good to know. I'll look into all these things. It's a thick stream that flows out so it seems like it should be easy to find where it's coming from. I'll pour water into the radiator again in the daytime and see if it's near the coolant temp sensor. Thanks again.

Also, uh, you wouldn't happen to want to add me on Skype would you? I have a feeling I might have more questions to ask later. nicole.brown459

Nevermind, I guess the distributor o ring is something different than what I assumed you were talking about. That little black cap in the middle of the engine between the sparks plugs is what I thought it was leaking from.

spark plugs*

My internet is down unfortunately or I would. But I have other forms of communication.

The distributor o ring is on your distributor which is the thing that is plugged into your engine that has the 4 wires coming out of it that plug into the top 4 holes. The cam seal is located just near the distributor. (It's a black circle)
Or it could be you valve cover gasket.

>it's impossible to google any of these things and how to fix them if you don't even know what they're called.

I know. It can be pretty difficult. You need to get more familiar with your car is all. Are you in California? If you are I'd tell you to take it to my shop where I can take a better look at it for you and help you out.

Thank you. I actually am in California. Southern California, like an hour and a half from Los Angeles.

Damn I'm probably 480 miles from you. I'm in northern California

Aw, bummer. Thanks anyway for offering. And thanks so much for your help.

Absolutely I hope you get your car taken care of. I'm on this form all the time feel free to ask any questions