Can someone explain to me why the fuck this car is recommended by the sticky...

Can someone explain to me why the fuck this car is recommended by the sticky? 90% of these things under 5k are either beat to shit, have serious transmission issues, get horrible gas mileage, and are just literally breaking apart. Is there serious no better SUV to get for that price range? I seriously doubt it. Am I missing something here

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X4--v8t_p-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Longpostguy is slightly a Mopar fan

>90% of these things under 5k are either beat to shit
So buy one of the other 10%

>have serious transmission issues
So buy one without tranny issues

>get horrible gas mileage
No shit. Its a fucking 4000 lb, 18 year old SUV with either a 4.7l V8 or a 4l I6 from the 60s. What do you expect?

>and are just literally breaking apart
Exaggerate some more. Cars need maintenance and repairs sometimes.

>Is there serious no better SUV to get for that price range?
I count 11 other SUVs recommended in the chart. Maybe you should look at some of those if you dont like the WJ.

>Am I missing something here
I'm guessing some chromosomes and quite a few brain cells.

>I'm guessing some chromosomes and quite a few brain cells.

kek.

Literally my car, Also these are never talked about so, ill chime in I guess..... Its pretty fun to drive and roomy, The I6 isnt super powerful but its fun enough, and works well on and off road. Mine needs general maintenance, but so far nothing major. I like it enough, would I buy another? Maybe not. I had a ZJ for years I beat to shit but it kept going, hoping this one is as reliable. Had all service records and was pretty immaculate when I bought it, but I also spent 7k on it. Soo, take that as you will.

Also, Why in the FUCK is this an "Honorable mention" to the fucking ford exploder? What the fuck? Are people ignorant? GC shits all over explorers in every way, even if they arent perfect (I mean, what cars are?)

the wj is a better off road vehicle, but not many people actually go off road.
the 5.0 is more reliable than the 4.7.
the v64.0 is almost as reliable as thei6 4.0.. but the transmission in the explorer 6 is much more reilable than the transmission in the i6 wj.

I have a high mileage 5.2l ZJ. You definitely should go to the effort of finding one that was just used for road driving it's not that hard and I agree that the automatic transmission is pretty shitty (shifts hard sometimes, tries to drop into gear when you've got your foot on the brakes etc) and if I was the primary driver I would have bought a manual but she's not going to be stomping on it she just needed something to go through snow and to sit a bit higher because she was getting afraid of trucks in her station wagon.

I've got a WJ too and it's been the weirdest combination of reliable and the biggest piece of shit ever. It's a 2001 Limited with the tow package and Up Country suspension and it's never quit running in almost 200,000 miles. OTOH there's always big something wrong with it. Mostly the HVAC system dead one way or another, but occasionally something like a radiator leaking or the P/S hoses leaking. None of which is as easy as you'd think it would be to do. Right now it needs another damn radiator and apparently the IR sensor on the HVAC control head is bad because it goes full hot on any setting but full cold. Radiator means you have to pull the whole damn front end off it, discharging the a/c into the bargain. HVAC control head isn't that big a deal but it's just another in a long line of failures in that subsystem.

pic related is almost exactly same as mine. Just doesn't have the yellowed headlights. Again.

Lol forgot lame pic

Angry jeep gayokee owner detected

Ita true that car is shit and the newer ones are even worse

>the weirdest combination of reliable and the biggest piece of shit ever
Can confirm. Mine always ran well even though I never maintained it. 4wd would grind hard but it worked. Ungodly ticking noise in the 4.7, but still pulled hard. The only thing I miss was the comfy seats and great passing power. After the heater core went and I watched this video on how to replace it and said fuck it n sold it to some jew. youtube.com/watch?v=X4--v8t_p-E

You should've bought an ecoboost

Which Cherokee should i get? Just want it to be comfy, what years? I kind the one on op pic

>it's been the weirdest combination of reliable and the biggest piece of shit ever.

Yep, This is a good description for Jeep's for sure, Yet, for some reason I keep buying them.

Hmm, yeah, I guess I could see that, explorers seem like such pieces of shit though, while I wont say a wj is better than, say, a toyota (Which have become a fucking meme and are hard to find non broken/affordable because of it)
But, It would be hard to accept it being lower on the totem pole than an explorer. Oh well, at least the I6 I have is roomy as fuck to work on, I am concerned about the transmission though since it IS weaker than the one they put with the V8. Also, I too have the 4wd differential problem, but Im prettty sure that is my fault since I got stuck in mud last year while messing around off road (Its weird, this thing doesnt struggle off road.....AT ALL, until it does, and then its just stuck and absolutely useless at stock height.) And my front Diff fluid is probably dirty because while the rest of the maintenance was good when I bought it, Im sure those seals need to be changes, and the fluid replaced. Time will tell, but since I paid cash and own it outright and have access to a garage for working on it, and people that know more than I do that can help, Ill see how it goes.

I have an 04 grand, and last night one of my friends didnt want to get out of it because they said it was too comfy, so there's that. Also, I have the base cloth interior.

>comfy
>cloth interior
You two must be pedros

Post 91 pre 97 xj Cherokee is my favorite

No, im just saying if the cloth can be considered comfy, leather has to be better, right?

But cloth is not considered comfy unless you're homeless or something

>liking your skin sticking to leather in the summer
>liking incredibly cold seats in the winter

>what is heated seats
>what is AC

Nice try Pedro. But in America our cars aren't complete piles of shit

I.....dont know how to respond to this.....There are other factors to comfyness than material though that I am talking about here

Not every year had heated seats as an option if I remember correctly and the real question is will either of those even work in a 20 yr old jeep

>I'm guessing some chromosomes and quite a few brain cells.
Lmao I'm crying

Right but cloth is shit. Buying a used car with cloth is like buying used pants

If you're buying a car that old you have bigger issues than goddamn heated seats

You got me hoss, I am a WJ owner. I actually hate the fat turd, but not really for any good reason. Dumbass OP was just talking a load of ass grade shit.

Far as Cherokees and Grand Cherokees go, the WJ is top tier comfy. Big cushy American style seats. Mom used to have an 04 that I remember as being slightly less comfy than my 00, but she didnt have it for too long before some nut chugger pulled out in front of her and she wrecked it, so maybe I made that up. Twas a pretty comfy vehicle regardless. I do know the thing crashed good, mom didnt have a scratch on her.

I'll echo the weird combination of reliable and shit thing. Does fine as a DD, can even handle some light wheeling too, but every time I've tried to pull a trailer with a fucker, its like it decides "nah, I'm too much of a fat shit for this" and something breaks or otherwise fucks up. Always stupid shit too, nothing that would be affected much by the added strain of a trailer. Its damn weird.

In the same boat as but i want the WJ. What engine? V8 or i6? Is there any advantage/disadvantage with the Overland version of the v8?

Get a Xterra or a 4Runner in your budget

>buying a used Dodge/Chrysler product
>any year

preface, i owned a 2002 WJ for years and loved it.

>Can someone explain to me why the fuck this car is recommended by the sticky?
Solid SUV with comfortable seats, nice aftermarket and a good powertrain (if you buy the right model)

>90% of these things under 5k are either beat to shit
Just like any car that sells for under $5k

>have serious transmission issues
Again, gotta pay to play

>get horrible gas mileage
You can expect 17-20 in mixed driving

>and are just literally breaking apart
Okay, enough. Jeep built 1,557,859 of these. Of course there are gonna be ones that are broken down after a decade or two.

>Is there serious no better SUV to get for that price range?
A better SUV would either be a Chevrolet Tahoe (but you'd still be looking at the same transmission/gas issues)

>Am I missing something here
Yes. You're missing out on the whole part of buying a used car where you have to comb through dozens of examples to find a quality car.

If you want to find out more about these, go to wjjeeps.com it literally has every piece of information you could ever want.

WJ Pros
-comfortable
-economical
-capable
-both engines are very nice pieces of kit
-if you buy a 4.7L, the transmission will last
-Selec-trac is a great transfer case. It can swap between 2WD, 4HI, 4LO, and true AWD

Cons
-4.7L has an aluminum rear axle, so if you want to invest thousands into it, that will need to be replaced
-4.0L will have transmission problems after 150k
-the sound system isn't the best

Look at 2004 Overland models. They have a more powerful V8 than the Laredos and you can find them for the lowest mileage. It was the top-spec of the era and people think they're less reliable for some reason, when in reality they got all the best gear. Don't even bother with 2WD Laredos. They're the cheapest models and have seen the most neglect by meth-head white women.

I traded in my 2002 Laredo 4x4 4.7L for a MazdaSpeed6 and quickly regretted the decision.

Oh yeah, and as far as better SUVs go, there is also the option of a 4runner, LX470 (fucking awesome), and Land Cruiser (again, awesome)

Get the v8. The I6 is not enough motor for a vehicle this fucking fat. You might maybe get 1 mpg or so better gas mileage, but its not worth it. You get a d44 rear axle with the v8s too, and a better trans i think? With the HO V8, you might lose some piddly little amount of fuel economy again, but you get 30 hp more over the regular 4.7, and 70 over the 4.0. Premium fuel is recommended for the HOs though, so thats worth considering.

If I had my pick, I'd take the HO V8 any day of the week.

>Also, I too have the 4wd differential problem, but Im prettty sure that is my fault since I got stuck in mud last year while messing around off road
not your fault. I have a wk, which uses the same rear diff. Never seriously been offroad.
3 different rear diffs before 200k.

The sticky is 20 years old