3,000 HP

>3,000 HP
>82,000 lbs of continuous tractive effort

How can your shitbox even compete with a 45 year old SD40-2?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hSrT_ll2vg8
youtube.com/watch?v=rSCSo3Uc7yM
youtube.com/watch?v=G9RdVMi-83E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lolcantturn

literally cannot turn

By not having to stay on rails.

Hell, it doesn't even really need to stay on roads for that matter.

> 2017
> Still using an EMD 645 prime mover
Wew lad...

>he needs three other ones to be useful

can someone explain the design to me? Is the firing room the only reason the engineer compartment sits behind the motor?

Also that it a big train

It's 2017. If your locomotives still use generators instead of alternators, you're pretty much a non-railroad.

>AC power
ISHYGDDT

It's time for your afternoon nap, gramps. DC is dead. GE and EMD say so.

>10,700hp

Get fucked bitch

It's a Big Boy, so yea it's big.

The cab was originally behind the boiler so that the engineers could shovel coal into the firebox. Once engines switched to burning oil, they generally stayed behind the boiler because it was more or less tradition (also it meant less tubing for water lines, gauges, and other equipment running from the tender to the cab)

Pic is a cab-forward engine

>Wires

FUCKING
KEK

>TOP
Yes
>Fucking AWESOME
Yes
>KEK
At American train infrastructure, that's for sure.

I don't know if it's the geographical expanse or misplaced priorities, but Americans can't afford wires or underground power lines. We can.

Trains are weird.

top steamer right here

I hate hybrids.

Order these according to technical complexity: trains, planes, and ships

Planes because of avionics and that shit.

Trains and ships are probably on a similar level of complexity.

My car can turn.

jk it's a camaro.

Planes, trains, ships.

The engineering that goes into all kinds of planes to make them light, increase their payload and keep them in the air without crashes and collisions is insane.

Likewise your average cargo train probably isn't a technological marvel, but high speed trains have absolutely nuts suspension and leveling technology.

Ships on the other hand ... the shape has pretty much been figured out, and they float by themselves unless leaky. All you gotta do is scale up your diesel engine. There's some innovation to be made in hydrofoils, but it's a very slow development. For some reason aquatic motoring is retardedly slow to adopt new technology.

Come on, user, we gotta prepare for the /on/ merger

lol 2017 still using engines

Bitch please. They dont say "handles like it's on rails" for no reason. Bow down you auto commuting bitch

SHITBOXES BTFO

TRAINS CONFIRMED BEST TRANSPORT

trains can transport the most gross weight per liter of fuel than any other form of transportation.

>tfw no 188.4L V12

4,400 HP and still T4 compliant.

literally cant turn
race me on the touge faggots see what happens

youtube.com/watch?v=hSrT_ll2vg8

user_tries_to_beat_the_train.webm

trains are slow anyway, at least in the usa

Well yeah, the selling point of trains is economy, not speed. If you want speed you gotta pay extra for a plane ticket.

somehow other countries get them up to speed. even canada is faster.

US freight trains can still haul ass, not to the speed of other countries but it tends to be a bit scarier given it's 40+ year old machinery carrying god knows how much weight usually a few feet at most from roads and buildings

also 'murrika's love of carrying high explosives and deadly liquids/gases in unmarked tanker cars

You forget that American freight trains are larger than European ones. Longer and heavier. We have some fast freight corridors where the freighters are reaching 79 MPH (~128 KM/H). That's pretty fucking fast when you look at the tonnage and number of axles of American trains.

canada still does it better
youtube.com/watch?v=rSCSo3Uc7yM

Canadian and American rail infrastructure is pretty much the same when it comes to Class I railroads, dude.

yeah but fuck canada

mfw no 50 million pound train to take down a touge

Yeah, and it's costing us a pretty penny. Not even the highly advanced carriages, but the ultra smooth, ultra straight rail network.

I can tell you what the estimated costs of Germany's current under-construction 300 miles long high speed rail route are.

$40,000,000. Per mile. $12 billion total.

Of course they don't show Acella, because it would BTFO Europeans that can't comprehend that America has high speed intercity rail where the cities are far enough apart to make driving uneconomical and close enough together to make flying a burden.

>actually bragging about trains on Veeky Forums
Eurocucks, everyone

PRR Q2

The most powerful rigid frame locomotive

Just under 8000 hp...

>stop talking about trains near me it makes me insecure about my automotive exceptionalism
>c-car board, guys

I can slow down and turn
>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Faster

how does it even around curves

Pretty well apparently, used to haul coal all throughout the appalachians...

>79,240 shp/59,090 kW
>6 x 5 in dual purpose guns
>6 x 25mm anti aircraft guns
>2 x 13.2mm anti aircraft guns
>15 x 24 in torpedoes
>18 depth charges

How can your shitbox and shitcomotive even compete with a 75 year old Shimakaze destroyer?

Push-pull trains with control cars in the front remotely controlling the unmanned locomotive in the rear make me all warm and fuzzy inside. What a brilliant idea.

I had a friend who worked at a railroad museum. It was not uncommon for steam trains to be used for eons, even through catastrophic accidents. They had one train that fell off a bridge - multiple times, usually killing the crew each time. The FOS of the parts were usually stupid high, so they never broke. They're insane.

90% of US tracks are owned by freight rail, and they leave very little room for commuter trains.

also, its almost impossible to build new rail tracks at this point.

>>/n/

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I'm the most powerful rocket in my class, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the moon, and I have over 12 successful launches. I am designed for 0-g maneuvers and I’m the heaviest payload carrier in the entire US space force. You are nothing to me but just another atmospheric air-breather. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision and power the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth or Moon, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of orbital laser platforms and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere in 90 minutes, and I can beat you to the moon in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with 2 engines. Not only am I extensively fitted for space travel, but I have access to over 100 tons of RP-1 fuel and liquid oxygen and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the solar system, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit red-hot rocket exhaust all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

happy new year /n/.
now get the fuck back to your board for homosexual bike enthusiast

>homosexual bike enthusiast
That's this board though

REEEEEEEEEEE GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY BOARD PUBLIC TRANSPORT WANKERS
squids can get fucked

nah m8, this board rides the bus
/n/ talks about the bus

p much this

>making less than 150,000 lbs of tractive effort

Veeky Forumsn/ merger when?

>A white Toyota Camry with four young Bhutanese men

RIP Camry :(

>0-60 in 10 minutes

new rail is needed? better to just reactivate some abandoned track

BRUTAL

youtube.com/watch?v=G9RdVMi-83E

>better to just reactivate some abandoned track
Track is abandoned because freight doesn't come from or go to where those tracks lead any more so opening those lines up would be a total waste of time. The real bottlenecks are that where the freight does go needs more tracks in and out.

>Canadian Trains

Bitches don't know bout my exploding entire towns.

Old and pigfat, still makes less power than this, can't MU, has to stop 3 times as often to get water and oil/coal
Embarrassing desu

You forgot the wicked six 6 wheel drive and it corners like its on rails

>he fell for the triple-axle bogey meme
>still needs to triple-head when pulling a grade
Nice pigfat engine, m8

>Bogey

Found the Britbong. Here in freedomland we call them trucks, and we say 'B' for two axle trucks and 'C' for three axle trucks.

Naw maybe 2 max for a unloaded loco, a loaded coal train does it in under 5. When they're shunting shit in the industrial yard they get going pretty quickly for almost 400k lbs.

Pretty sad how some Euro cars can't even do 60 yet a 20 million lb train can...

>559▶
,000 HP
b ecause im not autistic i dont care about trains

my shitbox can climb a 4% grade
/thread

Niggu I'm from California and I hear both terms interchangeably

It can stop too

in Australia we sometimes have up to 10 locos for one train

Can it go up a hill?

>all that quoting
>not autistic

The "Big Hill" in BC is 330m over 16km's. Tiny for a car but that's like climbing mountain in a freight train.

>hurr its on rails it cant even-