How come no aftermarket stereo manufacturers make elegant looking receivers anymore? All you get now is be-bopping...

How come no aftermarket stereo manufacturers make elegant looking receivers anymore? All you get now is be-bopping, annoying flashing lights, with an overall general style that doesn't complement ANY dashboard.

They don't?

Buy the one with the screen built in with GPS you cheap fuck

Nakamichi

Can I get one of those with a tube amp?

Because people only buy them for old cars.

Old cars = poor customers.

Poor customers = no screens.

Poor people usually like gaudy things too, trinkets and baubles to brighten their grey lives.

Hence gypsy colored headunits.

That's damned nice looking for sure! It's a shame it won't play CD's though. Kinda totally ruins it.

It won't play cassettes, either. So what's your point?

>tube
My holy grail amp. One day. One day.

correct

What sort of mongoloid is still using cds?

Dynavin.

I use CD's. Bluetooth is shit. MP3 is shit. If you're going to drop $1500 on just a HU, you're going to drop $10,000 on your stereo. Any stereo is only as good as it's weakest link. MP3 is pure, unadulterated shit.

>inb4 lol no difference

If your stereo isn't good enough that you can't hear the difference between an MP3 and a CD, you have a shit-ton of work to do on said stereo. You just totally pissed away your money.

It's not impossible to use a better format from your stereo in your car. Take your CD elitist attitude elsewhere and I'll enjoy my equivilent music quality but much more space because my glovebox isn't full of CD's and full of drugs instead. Chyeah.

Are there any decent blu ray audio head units out there?

MP3 and FLAC are fine for audio books. but, yes not upto music.

inb4 that dude recommending his DIY one-knob amp solution again

enjoy your distortion
solid state mang

>blu ray audio head units
What the fuck are you smoking? Just store everything on a micro SD card, I bought a 200gb for like 70 Canadian pesos last week

>
>>blu ray audio head units
>What the fuck are you smoking?

My grandma once called it blu-ray. This guy may just be an old man with dementia.

>If your stereo isn't good enough that you can't hear the difference between an MP3 and a CD, you have a shit-ton of work to do on said stereo
Because you drive around in an isolation chamber where engine, wind, and road noise aren't a concern?

>FLAC
>Audiobooks
Fucking retards on Veeky Forums I swear

that alpine you posted is pretty sick

How do you drive with an accelerator like that, seems so annoying.

enjoy your shit sounding compressed music.

>I have a tube amp
>tube amps have character
>etc

>caring about compression in a moving vehicle
I want audiophiles to fuck off and circle jerk over cable risers

I'd be more upset his nation has surrendered to the French, just look at that wheel position.

I bet you drive an auto as well and think it's as good as a real car.

Look at one marketed for heavy duty commercial trucks. I had one in my rental work truck and it wasn't too ricey.

what the fuck is up with all the audiophilia ITT
bitch just cram all your mpwhatevers on a cd and boom done wow

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there we go.

I always just get double din DVD receivers. A black screen fits in much better with modern cars than literally anything, even some factory garbage

> ((( SXM )))

what did they mean by this

Sirius XM

It's possible to own more than 1 car you poorfag teenager

>go to look at a craigslist car near dusk
>finish inspecting the outside of it
>sun has gone down
>get in for a test drive
>turn it on
>ricey aftermarket stereo blasts me in the face with 200 lumens of blue LEDs
>mfw

retard
retard
retard
retard
This. They're expensive though, used to install them into buses.
>not ripping it out and replacing with something more pleasing
then again you're the poorfag buying some craigslist shitbox, so I don't know what the fuck you're expecting. Most headunits worth their buck have autodimming features anyway.

If anyone here is still driving a car that doesn't have bluetooth audio, I feel bad for your misfortune.

can I get one that doesnt cost >$1000

Poorfag detector overload.

Auto cuck confermed, I fucking knew you were one from your belife compressed music isn't shit.

Way overpriced.

Why is it so expensive though

It's Sony. They sell $3000 mp3 players

How's that, because I understand that audiophile-level audio systems in a car are retarded? Yeah, not putting in thousands upon thousands trying to make a tinbox sound like a recording studio, faggot.

>$1500 car stereo
Damn, I didn't know they still made ridiculously priced car stereos. Who or what is their target market? Anyone with that kind of disposable income probably has a newer car with a permanently installed factory info-tainment system. Anyone poor enough to still have a car with a single din receiver slot certainly is buying a $1500 head unit. Who the hell buys this?

>MP3 and FLAC are fine for audio books. but, yes not upto music.

Does it make me retarded to have 2x12in subs in my trunk or just an attention whore?

do you guys reckon i could ghetto-in a double din in that space?
there's nothing underneath the hu
pic isn't the one i'm buying

Yes.

Nobody who actually likes music uses mp3. And they sure as fuck don't use Bluetooth for anything except phone calls.

FLAC is cool though.

>an overall general style that doesn't complement ANY dashboard
That's all they've ever been, for the most part. There have been some okay looking ones here and there over the years, but not many.

How is that related to audiophilic behaviour or trying to make your car sound like a recording studio?

Personally I don't think that's retarded, I have 2x15" and that's starting to be retarded, but hey, here I am, smiling.

they do

>$2,000
>Used

>2x15s
>audio quality

Choose one. You like bass, and that's fine, but don't confuse loudness with quality.

Maybe a small 8" sub in a sealed enclosure to beef up the bottom end. But a couple of 12's pounding in your trunk is high school manchild levels of attention whoring.

This. I had to hand build a box for the back of my hellcat because the stock unit is way too niggery.

8"s are realy the perfect sub for a car I don't know why they don't get more love. By the time you get to 12 or above the sound is just too slopy and you have to over drive them for the size of "room " resulting in the balance being too base heavy.

guys
guys please

Do you faggots even reading comprehension? Never claimed it was for audio quality. Tbqh it's for when people ask if I've done anything to the car audio -> turn up bass, watch them answer their own question. Also, I bought them on a whim and didn't know what I was getting into.

Yes,

Anyone know of a head unit infographic, or recommend a nice cheap one?

> here I am, smiling.

Guess that's what mattes, like the retards that think compressed audio is fine for music if they are happy with that shit they are welcome ot it, if you are happy with flabby base you are welcome to it.

I'm going to use the same bluetooth amp/no head unit setup I have in my other car but I'm going to get a single din graphic eq to fill the old radio spot, does anyone make a nice one aside from Alpine? These old Alpine units sell for $250+

>implying music can't have slight compression
Shows how much of an "audiophile" you are. Also that comment shows how much you actually know about physical audio components.
>all this generalization
Spend thousands upon thousand on DACs and amps that can go to unreasonable sampling rates and 32-bit depths if you want, you're wasting it all because a car isn't a fucking recording studio and your speakers and enclosures aren't going to be able to provide the "hi-fi" you're looking for either way. All you "audiophile"-faggots with your "I USE DIGITAL DISCS EXCLUUUUSIVELY BECAUSE I CAN HEAR THE DIFFERENCE OF THE DIGITAL SOURCE SIGNAL THROUGH THE ANALOG CONVERTER IN MY KIA C'EEDDD!!!" are making an ass of yourselves here, anyone with one brain cell can tell you that AptX and bitrates off audio on SD-cards and usb-memory will be indistinguishable from even the most high end outputs in the audio environment that is created in the confounds of any common automobile.

Be your generalization then that large subwoofer cones can only produce muddy or "flabby base" or that compressed audio is shit, you're still only making a generalization only someone with no experience in audio outside of gas-station gossip mimicked in a pan-asian cartoon eye drawing aficionado community would make.

Jesus fuck that spelling. Kill yourself you child.

Oh look another uneducated fuck who thinks he knows somthing. go back to /pol/ yeo are dragging the already low standard of Veeky Forums down.

>Your dashboard will never be lined in crushed velvet

Proton is AWESOME. These are the amps I'm putting ony golf cart.

Nice comeback user, but that's a hook and I'm a fish that knows one.

I have that EQ!

Damn, nice. I think an Alpine will look better in my car though

I've got a metric fuckton of old school stereo components. PPI, Orion, HiFonics, Proton, MB Quart, JL Audio, Image Dynamics, and Linear Power.

>Bright ass blue
Walmart deck. The brand is Dual.I throw them in cars I'm getting rid of so I don't have to give up my better units.

>If anyone here is still driving a car that doesn't have bluetooth audio, I feel bad for your misfortune.

This. Nothing like not having to deal with shitty cables or ground wine.

My lord that's sexy.

My god I love older audio equipment.

So so sexy

turn the dimmer on your dunse

McIntosh pulled out of the car stereo marketplace. I think they still do some OEM stuff, but no longer any aftermarket at all.

Cheap stereos don't use the dimmer wire, you dunce.

You still have a brightness setting in the menu.

what's stopping me from putting an oem head unit into a car that it wasn't meant to be used on?
other than size and fitting of course
i.e the hu from a newer golf in a 3 series or something

because acoustics are so good in a car i just have to have my music in flac right? jesus what a cunt!
mp3 is more than good enough, you are sitting in a tin can for god's sake

Dual doesn't

Nothing. Fact is, if you're digging around in a junkyard, check every Lexus, Subaru, and Volvo you come across.

Options in each of those cars was Nakamichi (Lexus), McIntosh (Subaru), and Dynaudio (Volvo). Those stereos have better components than 95% of the shit that you'll find in a stereo shop nowadays.

If you don't like MP3 there are uncompressed audio formats that are capable of sound as good or better than CDs. CDs are shit, get with the times grandpa.

nice thanks user
what about harnesses and all that jazz
can i just plug and play?
no restrictions at all?

>nobody has said Kienzel yet
come on guys this should be within the first 3 replies
they make a whole bunch of others too that share a similar aesthetic

and they arent that expensive

>stupid enough to not realize that uncompressed audio formats exist and CDs are just uncompressed 16-bit 44100Hz digital audio burned on a disk.

>What sort of mongoloid is still using cds?

>tfw burned last CD about a week ago

My radio doesn´t take other stuff...

Pretty much just pull the harness with it. You'll need to take note of what you got it out of and look up the wiring diagram for the conversion.

this
this is the best looking new production headunit that can fit most cars before the mid 2000's well

saw one at an alfa romeo car showin a mid 70's model and it actually worked well...compared to the old boomers who go out and out sony xplod headunits in the same car because they just dont care

So long as you have the harness and have figured out what wire goes where, you're good to go.

Now, that said, some high end vehicles like Mercedes Benz operate their stereos via CANBUS. It's far more involved to get one of those working. Not impossible, but you had better be an electronics hobbyist.

For most of the stuff though, yeah, pretty much plug and play once you figure out the wiring.

The color codes on the back of a factory stereo will not be the same universal color codes though. Green may be ground instead of the Left Rear speaker. Orange may be Right Front speaker instead of illumination. Stuff like that. Figure that out FIRST, so you don't blow shit up.

pic related is my interior (minus the extra gauges)
think it would look good?
I always wanted one of these in my old car, but the wires were hacked and slashed so I just stuck with second hand sony's for the sake of the same plug until I sold it

the current aftermarket headunit is chinese ebay garbage

and diagrams can be found anywhere on the internet yes?
i don't need to have both cars on me to pull it off?

what sort of equipment do i need to trial-and-error my way into the new hu before i start wiring it up into the dash?

>Diagrams can be found anywhere on the internet, yes?
Yep. I get mine from Modified life, usually. Sometimes they'll even be printed on the radio.

>What sort of equipment do I need to trial and error my way into the new head unit

A 12 volt adapter and an extra speaker. You can cheat with the ground by just grounding to the frame of the radio. Keep in mind there are TWO hots and both need to have power for the radio to turn on.

Nothing triggers me more than seeing new ricey head units in classic cars

noted
what oem hus are just a rectangle without all mumbo jumbo?
i can think of modern vws(jetta,golf,passat),e38/9,some higher trim mitsus(current pajero and lancer,last gen outlander)
really anything basic that's worthy of all the hassle so something like pic related isn't something i'm going to try and pull off

i want to do this as a way to gain some experience with car electronics because i currently know -enough-

>tfw poor
>tfw like finer things in life, but can`t afford them

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

Perhaps supercar owners?

>ugh, this stripped down track built car doesn`t EVEN have a radio, I don`t even....