Is it impossible to have good visibility with modern safety regulations, or do automakers simply not care?

Is it impossible to have good visibility with modern safety regulations, or do automakers simply not care?

Camaros, especially year 2010+ are notorious for their shit visibility. I haven't seen or read anywhere that the Camaro is forced to have shit visibility due to a regulation. If anything the poor visibility makes it even more unsafe.

tl;dr they probably just don't care.

What the hell is in this wide ass space?

It's called a window you idiot

I'm not talking about the window dumbass, I'm talking about that wide ass chunk of plastic between the window and the seat.

Have you never been inside a fucking car before? I mean this is ridiculous

Air bags and rollover protection

That's kind of what OP is asking. Are the huge swaths of plastic due to safety regulations or the designers not caring?
It could be there because the frame needs to be huge for holding airbags and rollover protection.
or it could just be that the designers were too lazy to make a car with good visibility.

The panel is retardedly wide compared to other coupes.

Because clearly you and the rest of the dumbass teens on Veeky Forums know more than the engineers who literally design cars for a living and have years if not decades of experience

Fuck out

butthurt camaro owner detected

Well it's pretty clear that there was poor communication between the interior and exterior designers. Or the interior designer was like, you know what would look good? A two foot wide piece of plastic right here.

Get on my level, you'll never know poor visibility until you drive one of these.

i drive one of these the rear visability is laughable even though it sits lower in the rear

Most cars have side and rear view cameras plus blind spot detection.

*most cars have that as an option

A massively inferior alternative to actually being able to see.

No most cars have it

""""Styling""""

BMW and Subaru's have good vis still

A $20k optima comes with it standard.

Most people don't shoulder check anyways.

Side and rear view cameras?
I find that hard to believe

They put it in without telling people. But it's in there.

Your phone has 2 cameras... Why is 3 in a car hard to believe?

I just find it hard to believe that those are stock

I mean a standard 2017 Malibu doesn't even have a screen inside

You would be surprised by the shit flinging that goes on in engineering.

why dont care manufacturer use tubular frames, and keep thin, and strong pillars?

Cars are supposed to crumple up in even alight crash. They're not supposed to be strong.

And blind spot monitoring is still an add on on a Chrysler 300

real talk, that's a pretty snazzy interior for a shit box.

The body needs to crumple to absorb energy rather than be perfectly rigid.

Imagine jumping from several stories onto a bed vs hitting hard concrete.

You're paying for the V6 in those cars. Most cheap 4 bangers come with rear view cameras standard and side view cameras in the $500 tech package.

The malibu has a 4 cylinder

Well I guess you're paying for a fancy turbo engine then.

Anyways, I was just showing that
>Most cars have side and rear view cameras plus blind spot detection
Is not really true at all

I've driven late 90s/early 00s cars for my whole life so I'm dreading the moment my Camry dies for this reason. Drove a friend's 2015 Camry a week ago and couldn't see fucking shit, you actually have to tilt your head and shift it to see around the headrest. In my 99 you just swivel your head and see everything.

It is true tho. A poverty spec mid size wont have them but the middle of the range $30k model that most people get definitely will. Most Hyundai's and Kia's come with it standard.

The $30k Ford Fusion Titanium has blind spot monitoring as an option for $1,625

>Is it impossible to have good visibility with modern safety regulations

But that is what they are doing. Within always evolving safety requirements, they try to provide you visibility. But as cars continue transitioning, rear visibility will become augmented by mandatory rear view cameras.

I suspect your real question should have been "Why are cars increasing both their rear and front heights so much that it obscures visibility?" The reason is that you no longer have just "cars" on the road but also SUV and trucks. Because of the taller SUV and trucks, cars were at a crash disadvantage. By raising the rear and front profiles of cars, they won't just slide under a SUV or truck so much. Another change to support the higher rears is to have the A and C pillars be more horizontal in order to increase crush resistance of the passenger cabin. Horizontal C-pillars result in narrower rear windows though.

Otherwise, the "solution" to this evolution is to mandate that all SUV and trucks also be no taller than regular cars. That isn't going to happen. So the only solution was to have cars evolve higher front and rears plus strengthen the horizontal crush resistance of the passenger cabin to support those changes.

False, the front and back crumples, if your cabin crumples your driving a price of shit

Get a 245 Volvo, best vision ever, almost 360 with only 1" pillars at the best

>do automakers simply not care?
They care. But do you care about all the regulations they must operate under? They also have phased-in safety requirements which change according to what the federal DOT sees as problems.

Post pics of a modern car with good visibility. I'm curious to see if one exists.

Opel Asta GT

>Post pics of a modern car with good visibility. I'm curious to see if one exists.
Police cars have good visibility.

Volvo C30

>massive windshield
>tiny side windows and massive A pillars

>yes let's look up at the sky that's where all the cars are at

>massive windshield
Just what you want in sunny arizona in the summer! You'll get the greenhouse effect. Yeah, yeah, greenhouse effect doesn't exist because mankind cannot change how hot it gets.

Miata

>most people are shit drivers, so we might as well make shit cars
I mean, the logic apparently works (as evidenced by a majority of the new cars currently for sale), but I sure as hell don't agree with it.

>tfw you need those rear window shutter thingies for your fucking windshield

Best visibility :^)

louvres, my son

I'm you, but stronger.

no, it's the designers caring.

>i-it looks bubble headed like a jetsons car make the windows smaller
>and we need somewhere to put the SUH ROWND SOUND speakers

You don't need that much pillar for side airbags or rigidity, believe it or not. You need half as much at the most.

Aftermarket solutions that even enable birdseye 360 parking viewers are like, maybe $200 now but it's not standard on so many cars because they know the moment they make it a standard they can't bundle it into a higher trim to get people to pay a lot more extra.

>side airbags or rigidity

So drive a convertible. Then put a hard top on it like an SL 560. When the regulators complain, tell them to go ferk themselves.

>Gf bought a 2016 optima
>It doesn't have any of those things
You sir are a liar

I had one of these.

The visibility was excellent. Probably helped me avoid a lot of accidents.

I think I got you beat with the wrap around rear glass. The side mirrors were tiny though.

:^)

subaru sex

They come with the rear camera standard, the Blindspot is a tech package, and the Surround camera is standard on the SXL.

The 2017 base optima with a $1k package includes a rear view camera and side object detection.

>You don't need that much pillar
The presumption is that it adds more protection when someone T-bones your car. The amount of penetration should be less if there is more rigidity so that the car ends up being pushed sideways instead of the aggressor continuing to penetrate into the cabin.

H O N D A F I T
O
N
D
A

F
I
T

>mfw there are people that rely purely on parking sensors rather than their own eyes
>mfw their parking sensors possibly stop working

>do you care about all the regulations they must operate under
Nope

>standard
>$1k package
pick one

newest or previous gen because my friend has a newer one and it's not that great

Crown vic owner, can confirm. It's nice.

>not making them throw it in for free...

stay woman.

Modern cars have to support their weight via the roof alone as a safety regulation nowadays

I have no problems seeing anything on either of these. I would say good visibility on both

I have a 1st gen and it's great. The only visibility problems it has is when you've got someone in the center back seat

Well it does save people in rollovers. Dunno how common that is though.

it happens more often than you would think user.

This crazy basted drove it home after I flipped it back over

>Is it impossible to have good visibility
Apparently all the low slung cars have evolved to have big tall rear ends that block the view.
So you'll have to get a non-car such as a SUV or truck to have the visibility you used to have in a car.

drive toyotas, subarus and peugeots from late 90s-early 2000s, good visibility, can see heaps of whats going on.
drive 2013 mazda 3 and 2007 mazda cx9, cant see shit, small as hell windows, blind spots even when doing headchecks.

And the Camaro doesnt

just GM my shit up

This is a quote directly from a regular car review.

panoramic lenses and multiple cameras

They would rather you get side swiped pulling out into traffic and have your curtain airbags protect you, than see the car coming and avoid the crash.

It makes them more money.

Armored car, kek.

>tfw is that from my car
That back seat is absolutely useless, although visibility is awesome though

Backup camera are a mandatory feature on all cars as of 2013 or so.

Nope, regular Yukon. GM are THAT awful at engineering.

>rollover protection
>impact airbags everywhere
>increasingly stringent impact protection
And Veeky Forums wonders why cars are basically becoming bubblewrap

>caring about trunk space in a sports care

>stuffing cars full of safety features that hinder visibility and therefore increases danger of actually getting into an accident

I'm caring about car makers doing the best they can, and not the least that'll pass.

I know it's a bad comparison but the Camaro is shit, and GM could have made it better if they cared

Hey shut the fuck up and don't ruin the illusion!

never have i been in a car with more visibility