Ford Merkur XR4Ti 5spd T9 Manual (Sierra XR4i for you euros)

Alright Veeky Forums I'm looking for some hot takes and hot info, I've got my hands on one of these bad boys right here and I'm looking for anything you guys might know about them I wouldn't find in the manual. I got it for a good price considering it starts and purrs but the clutch is shot right now, I want to get it nice and fixed, would make a fun manual cruiser.

They are cool as fuck, but parts other than engine parts are SCARCE. The engine you lucked out on, it's just a turbocharged Pinto motor. Same engine they used in the SVO and TurboCoupe.

Body, suspension, and interior parts though? Good luck with that.

well good thing everything but the clutch looks ace right now, the thing barely has 18k on it right now, it's an '86, bought new in '88, rarely driven, sold to a friend in early 2000s, he never touched it, got it off of him.

>Ford Merkur

Pretty sure it's just a Merkur

You right. Got it twisted because of the Ford Sierra background

>Pinto engine
>official car of the transgender community
>wet noodle chassis
>impossible to find parts nowadays
>parts are expensive when you find them

Good luck user :)

Nice find OP

They're known for corrosion on the front suspension turrets,where the inner wing meets the bulkhead and the rear chassis legs. So make sure you treat those areas.

The dashboards can't handle the sun and end up cracking.

what an awful image

Ive driven several of them
>my buddy owns 4
>3 are broken
The suspension is a joke. Look it up. It changes castor with ANY weight change or weight shift in the car.
Like if you have a passenger, the car will handle differently than if you were by yourself.
Its terrible and does not handle well. If you pitch it into the corner, you can feel the body roll change the front end characteristics. Horrible horrible car.
Also you cannot unbolt ANY body panels aside from front and rear bumper.

If i remember it's just a European ford Sierra. Parts should be abundant but they'll be high due to having to ship

It's an Americanized version, yeah. I'm sure a lot of parts will transfer over but since it's driven on the left it's hard to know what mechanical pieces will fit from an import vendor

if thats an actual xr4i then its not turbocharged,its 2.8 NA.

Consider swapping in a T5. Its a much more resilient transmission and the swap can be done relatively cheap.

Looks like a pretty rough job but seems like a common swap people do for these, definitely something I'll keep in mind thanks!

Hey. Whatever you do. Dont listen to the guy who has driven them.
>also driven a WCT5 swapped one
Cuz you know... the guy whos driven them knows nothing at all.

I mean, I appreciate the input but it's not like I'm looking at one, I got it dirt cheap and I'm looking at getting it into a running state for a cruiser, it's a shame to hear it might exactly be the smoothest drive, but negative review doesn't much affect the car I already own

Cool. Dont bother asking for more info or anything either.
Enjoy your turd

be careful, those turbo heads crack, not warp, they crack

also, swap a ranger roller cam in from a later ford ranger engine

Hey man. OP said he doesnt want useful information.
Stop helping him

For parts checkout B.A.T.

also,there are plans out there to make a forced induction fan on the top mount intercooler...if you don't have one...get one

Only UK Sierras are right hand drive, the rest of them are normal.

Who the fuck drew that?

For some reason that sounded familiar and turns out the owners manual and shit in the dash had a printout of their Merkur/Ford Sierra catalog, (with random phone no. and address' written on the shit) Good to have a source for this book though, thanks!

Right, I forgot not all eurobangs drive righty.

invest in scrap metal and welding wire.