If you put polyurethane bushings in your road car you are everything what is wrong with the world

If you put polyurethane bushings in your road car you are everything what is wrong with the world.

They're pretty pointless if you need to slow to 5kph to go across a railroad crossing and still bounce around. Literally lower than a brotruck tier.

in the scion tc it totally eliminates wheel hop

And why is the op?
Do you not drive your road car hard through corners sometimes?
Or do you just not have a car?

Why would I use those? My rear bushings compress in turns giving me passive rear steering

>Volvo 850 master race

I've got poly diff bushings and imo they're very worth it. The car kind of resonates at certain speeds and some gear noise transmits to the cabin but it's worth the lack of wheel hop/less driveline slack

I put them only on the front of my FC and it understeers heavily now, so they definitely work.

"In recent years, several companies have offered urethane suspension bushings. These plastic bushings look great on the parts shelf. Unfortunately, the urethane used in the products we have evaluated is not a material well suited for suspension bushings. Depending on the application, suspension bushings must allow movement in different planes. The most common plane of movement is simple rotation. Rubber bushings allow rotation by the internal shear of the rubber itself. This means there is no sliding motion between any of the members. The rubber flexes to allow the inner and outer sleeves to rotate relative to each other. Since there is no sliding motion, there is no friction-caused wear and no need for lubrication. Because the rubber is vulcanized to the inner and outer sleeves, there are no critical tolerances to maintain during manufacturing. When a urethane bushing is used, the bushing material cannot deflect. There must be some sliding motion to permit rotation between the inner and outer sleeve."

-Herb Adams, Chassis Engineering

It starts by stating that movement "must be allowed" and makes it sound like that's necessary for the suspension geometry, but then goes on to state that the movement is needed to reduce wear on the bushings.

Poly bushings are also much more tear resistent and more durable in every way than rubber, so that's a moot point.

literally a meme

>necessary to suspension geometry

The only thing "necessary" to suspension is a wheel fixed to a hub, the Flintstone car has suspension geometry- What is being stated is that taking something intended to move on a rotational axis (through the give in the rubber vulcanized to an inner and outer sleeve) and TAKING AWAY the intended amount of give through a urethane bushing is introducing bind. That's going to create heat, it doesn't matter how much more resistant urethane is to wear if it's generating heat in such a fashion that was not there before. The lubrication part was what's important. Solid bushings made of steel are a THOUSAND times more tear resistant than urethane but will last all of about a week if you don't grease the cocksuckers. Yeah, there's poly bushings made with zerk fittings, but those things aren't the off the shelf shit some dickbag throws into his Starion, not to mention I doubt the people here are under their cars with a grease gun AND if you've gone that far you could just buy/make solid mounts because the frequent greasing are their only downside (and ride quality which you already don't care about if you were going to urethane) The jackasses above talk about how they've eliminated wheelhop aren't any kind of end all argument to go off either- Solid mounting and welding all the travel out of suspension would eliminate wheel hop too, doesn't mean it's a bright idea.

Hey, first of all, I can tell you watched a little too much RCR and think you know shit. Well, you don't.

The poly bushing may take away some play and bind, but it makes up for it by being way, way stronger than rubber. You can get graphite infused bushings that only need to be lubed maybe one a year top, when you're already underneath hitting all the zerk fittings if applicable. Steel or welding as you suggested are obviously too far for a road car, obviously, but does that mean poly is as well? Fuck no, by your logic rubber may as well be too hard. Find something softer than rubber if you love suspension sloppiness so much. I personally will always use poly for a-arms and sway bar links at the very least, and delrin for motor and diff mounts.

I was simplifying the words of an engineer since you didn't grasp 'em the first time. To clarify, since words aren't your strong suit alongside dynamics- I never said poly was too hard for a road car, I said if you were going to them you probably didn't care much about ride quality to begin with and they were a half measure even when using proper, greasable ones and solid bushings aren't much worse on the ride, nothing in what I said suggests rubber to be "too hard."

You backpedal an awful lot for someone who supposedly knows a lot about cars. You sure you're not a cyclist bud?

If you're still not getting the picture, I have provided an illustration.

Oh, you were just talking about the el-cheapo ones? Well no shit, son. Don't come here and spit that. It totally sounds like the article is saying polyurethane is not a suitable material because it doesn't flex like rubber.

Hell, here it is from the horse's mouth, if you think I'm full of shit.

The el-cheapo ones are the ones that I see 99.9% of "CHOONERS DEWD" throwing at their "missiles" and they're even what OP posted. I never said polyurethane was unsuited, I even provided the specific caveat that they need to be greasable. If I thought rubber flex was the be all end all for suspension bushing I wouldn't be jerking myself raw over solid mounts like I did.

Also not an article, book, should check it out some time.

Welp literally my bad for assuming you were OP, you bring up a good point there.

What's exactly wrong if OEM bushings are expensive and the chinese made non-oem replacements are shit tier anyway, poly bushings are cheaper and more durable so there's nothing wrong with them in my book.

1 small control arm bushing OEM $120
Complete set of poly bushings $320

That's the story for my 3000gt vr4 boi.

>delrin for motor and diff mounts
nugger you cray cray?

I drive a rotary

FWIW I have solid aluminum engine and transmission mounts in my FC right now lol it's hilarious

rubber bushings are discontinued and wear out very quickly

The biggest reason polyurethane bushings will appear to affect ride quality is they are no longer dampening the affects of worn shocks and sagging springs. The other scenario is an individual did a full suspension rebuild with poly bushings, 2" lower meh quality springs and incorrectly matched shocks.

If you swap out bushings on a new or good suspension you will not feel a very big change in ride quality.

Mine came with them factory, is using the OEM bushing wrong?

unff. that's the sex

>rear suspension designed with floppy bushings for NVH
>swap out LCA bushings for poly
>rear axle much less floaty now
Sue me.

Someone has watched too many episodes of rcr.

Full poly bushings,
Coil overs
Front and rear camber kits

Whoops sorry for having disposable income.

Please tell us more.

You are a retard.

I put poly bushings on my shitbox because I had some blown out stock bushings. It was cheaper option than replacing entire control arms.

There was nothing bad about it. No extra vibrations, nothing. The rest of the car is stock on stock suspension.

The only time poly bushings make things worse is when you use them on drivetrain components like trans mounts, engine mounts, and diff mounts.

Or press in bearings instead. that shit becomes rock hard.

also, poly material comes in many different softness types. You can match stock rubber stiffness.

m8 nah the opposite is true. Rubber bushings for suspension components, poly for things like diff, transmission, motor mounts etc

T. Denture salesman

Honestly. This thread is a reminder to NEVER listen to Veeky Forums's advice.

Finished swapping all my bushings to poly a few weeks ago. A tiny bit more road vibration, but overall not too much different. My exhaust vibrates the car more than the bushings.

Yeah it shakes/vibrates, but the point is to reduce deflection. Also why do you care about nvh in a race car? Unless you guys are talking about totally souping up your mom's Honda civic

Ask any legit chassis builder, rubber for suspension components, poly for motor/trans mounts. The diff can pretty much be hard mounted

I have a weekend car with polys because im not a normie

Youre retarded. Race cars have heim joints. Stop posting anytime videogamer.

This thread is stupid and full of retards.

No u

buy a miata

>blanket statement
>no car ever made benefits from poly bushings

>

>kneejerkin' it because you're impatient and worried about your choices and the fabric of reality is more likely to change than you admit you're even slightly offbase

Is reading comprehension still part of standard curriculum in yurop these days?

>passive rear steering
my sides

>99 spec

If I were female I would tickle your taint user.

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!

>fwd

I agree, having tried and tested poly and different hardness of rubber I'd have to go for rubber every time. Poly is just machineable so is the preferred aftermarket choice.

>rubber suspension bushings in a race car

Poly bushing minimize unwanted movement and flex of suspension and powertrain. They aren't meant for the road, they do serve a great purpose for track cars, though. Whoever says otherwise is stoopid.

I'd argue that if the car was designed with overly floppy bushings for ride comfort a bit of poly doesn't hurt. Foxbody mustang rear suspension, for example. Poly bushings and/or a Panhard bar and you can eliminate the quad shock since it's actually constrained then.

>tfw cab mount bushings are fucked
>tfw if i were to buy a new set of rubber bushings from the only place i found (lmctruck) it would cost about $200
>if i were to fuck up any of the mount hardware all of that is another $200

kill me in my sleep please

polyurethane is way too soft to be machined.

Nope. If you are going to replace suspension bushings, might as well go poly, they are cheaper and will last the rest of the car's lifetime. (You) are the one that is wrong here.

I have poly bushings in my front and rear lower arms. I installed some grease fittings as well and regrease them every oil change, otherwise they get squeaky and start binding.

I've got rubber subframe bushings, but they're fucking wasted. I can get oem rubber replacements for cheap, but I'm not sure if I should go for poly. Are they a meme?

rubber for a daily.
poly for a weekend car.
solid for a race car.

I thought poly bushings in the rear of a Foxbody causes severe suspension binding.

use a hockey puck like a real redneck

Oh yeah, don't do the upper control arms.

With how much of a bitch it is to replace the stock bushings on an E28, I'd go for polys just because they're 2-piece.
Regardless of which direction you go it's probably going to be an all-day job.

Poly are shit, might as well go for solid or nylon. If you want a quiet ride stick with rubber.

The whole car vibrates above 3000 RPMs because of the tranny mounts. Feels like it's gonna explode when you hit redline. You can hear the gears and the clutch if I'm not on the gas, because the exhaust is loud as FUCK. Overall it was a fun thing to do but I would probably use delrin next time