Mk3 Supra thread

Opinions on the Mk3 Supra?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Hkov3QcCpQ#t=23m47s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i like it. i wrote some wheeler dealers slash fic about mike and edd fixing one

My friend has one with a naturally aspirated 7M-GE and he seems to like it. The few gripes he has is that there is barely any steering angle, so drifting is hard. He did some angle mods and added an LSD and he likes the car a lot more now. He also replaced a lot of bushings, a lot of them were rotted out pretty bad. So far no headgasket issues, has over 200k miles

I have an 1989 Turbo 7M that I am putting together. What kind of steering lock mods did he do? Not really looking to do any drifting but isn't more steering angle just a better thing? Safety wise too?

He has rack spacers and he also cut the stops off

have one, 31 years old now, pretty sure valve stem seals shit the bed, everything going wrong brakes brake master brake booster clutch master the list goes on, everything is easy to fix though since it's basic, love every second of it.

Best lookin Supra.
Swap an LS into it for increased power and reliability, lighter weight and best of all, to piss off literally everyone.

That kinda makes sense tho, gotta save the LS for the RX7 to really piss people off

what about the MK2 celica supra?
any thoughts?
did not feel like making a new thread about it.
I genuinely feel like buying one as a project and dropping an N/A engine and ITBs or a 7m-gte since it is dirt cheap
I def feel like it is going to become a rare classic and sought after

Pretty sure it's a lighter chassis, basically same suspension setup just different geometry. Stock 4.11 or 3.73 LSD. Also they look sick af. 5M was an engineering marvel at the time

They came stock lsd?
Do they share much with their newer versions

Read the sticky, bottom right corner. And no, everything in the wordhero.speedpress article is all bullshit

Cool but not that fast. Also, the head is a twin-cam but it only has two valves per cylinder. Yamaha does some weird shit...

I love both the mk2 and 3. I'm actively trying to buy one but it's hard to find one in good condition where I live. They aren't too fast but the look fucking great

Heavy, sorta slow, can't turn. Basically a Japanese mustang. I daily one.

If it's good enough for Sam Hyde, it's good enough for me.

Dont listen to this guy hes a delusional fanboy and the sticky is wrong

btw dr30>toyotashit

youtube.com/watch?v=9Hkov3QcCpQ#t=23m47s

yup, my words exactly

I've been daydreaming about this car recently.
Really like the look of it and I have a laundry list of things I wanna do to the car, but I just can't justify spending ~20-30k on a 30 year old car. Also, I only really want the body (even thought the frame is the heaviest part), I'd basically do the car up from scratch.
To be fair, there's nothing in the 20-30k range that I want, new or used, nor can I afford to do so on a whim, so it's just theorycrafting so I dont have to come to terms with me not being able to follow my automotive passion
Laundry list:
Replace all bushings, hoses, replace suspension.
Find crate engine to crop in, ~350hp
That means new transmission, maybe new/jerry rigged AC, whatever I need to mate with new engine
Update interior with new headunit, get new interior panels custom cast to modernize inside
Rip out all seats for lighter ones
New wheels/tires
New front bumper
Lowering springs, not really low just closing well gap
Finish with fresh paint
Purists probably threw up in their mouths reading that, but I'm never doing it anyway

Haha I know how that feels. I've dumped probably 4k into my shitbox this year in upgrades and restoring it.

I think the seats and interior panels are great personaly

there is an mk2 celica supra near me for 3k with 170k km
only problems is that it has a little leak from headgasket (lul) 5m-ge engine but visually from the photos I don't see any rust and I live in the rustiest province of Canada.
is it worth it? I don't have a daily yet so I would think getting a daily driver beforehand is wiser.

I only have one grudge against these cars and they will mostly all sell with the gaudy blue/Burgundy interior

Fuck yeah sam hyde 2k24

Bc? Van isle? Haha I feel the rust pain my mk 3 is under shelter

don't know much about it. But it looks like an 8-series, and that's about the coolest car I've ever seen

would drive/10

QC sadly

>ls
>less hp per liter
>heavier than a 13b

i wonder why.

>Save the LS
There's plenty to go around.
They're still making gen 1 small blocks, even at Chevrolet itself, so the LS will be available used or new for decades to come.

Well meme'd, friend.

I think they look extremely nice, and are much cooler than the downsy face Mk4 Supras.

But I don't know why you'd get one over an FC or Starion.

I like all three but i like the muscle of the mk three more

Ya I mean that's plenty of a reason to get a car.
If you like it, just get it.

Making practical choices with sports cars, especially old ones, is just stupid.

Some people say the 7m sucks but they might be peopp trying to make o drift missile

>7m sucks
replace headgasket with updated version and the 7m is on par with the JZ family.
it really is that simple, and building a 7m is easier.
There are loads of 700hp + 7m around
I would be more interested in building an N/A 5-7m-ge with ITBs and around 180hp

I've put at least $10k into this 7m.

Same.

I don't share the appeal of these 700+, 900+ hp 2.0-2.8l engined cars at all.

They're ticking time bombs.
And even if they aren't, their "powerband" is in such a narrow range, and their chassis and suspension can't put the power down to the point that they're often slower than 500hp cars.

That's a sexy looking build.

Well building anything is not going to be cheap
what are you dropping that into and how much time have you been on it?

specs?

> per liter as a point

Low quality bait, still in every thread, it's pottery

how is that not a valid point

any idiot can get 1200 hp from a 27 liter V-12 but doing it from a 2 liter i4 is more of a challenge

Thanks.

57-trim CT26
BC 264 cams
CP pistons
Eagle rods
ARP head studs and mains
HKS Stopper head gasket
full flow oil setup including DM modified oil pump and AZ pipe

Plus tons of other shit. Like I have adjustable cams gears in the mail.

Fuck me. I actually want to read that.

Oh and its going into a 89 mk3 supra.

The build as a whole has taken about 2 years since I've been going to school, buying parts intermittently, and working on it when I can.

But its just about done, I just have to get my fuel and oil lines sorted out before I drop it in.

Another Supra user here, in an 85. I average about 19 mpg in my stock-ish 5mge, how can I squeeze more out of it?

I don't care so much about the fast because I'm not drifting. Some have said to gear at 3.73, but I dunno, the 5mge apparently isn't a very moddable engine.

5mge are well moddable but will be costly since parts are scarce
the car isn't made for EMPEEGEEs
get a diesel vw

Will you trade me a diesel vw for my supra?

why would you trade a supra for a vw
instead of modding the supra get a 2nd car that you will daily and be easier to save up to mod the supra afterwards

i have a 7MGE Toyota Crown, things 4000lbs and automatic and i can still slide it. if you replace the headgasket and torque the headbolts to Toyotas new spec and not the original one, you wont get headgasket issues anymore

you want slow i have a 4ME 1979 Toyota Supra, holy fuck you cant even break the rear tires loose dumping the clutch

Never understood the rave of the m4 compared to the m3, I guess the 2jz over the 7m but even the mk3 jdm has a 1jz and looks just as good, maybe the weight, anyway best looking supra and I'd consider it one of the most beautifully made cars around today

I do have a 2nd car (plymouth neon) that gets 30+ mpg, but I really REALLY prefer the supra to drive daily. And I do have a cash reserve specifically for the supra.

I guess it would be too perfect if the supra were fun to drive AND more gas efficient. I don't want to invest in the 7 or 6mge yet either, so I'm all stock for now

they are both heavy and engines swap between chassis.
I suppose it's a taste matter

I love the mk 3 but some people can't get over the mk 4 fast and furious legacy. it's a cool car on its own with an amazing motor though

I like my 89

It looks so big next to those little guys ;)

a black mk 3, with black wheels and some dark tint is my fucking fetish

ok, i'll stop

>never got the 5M-GE in Australia
Fucking hell, that thing is beautiful

Not shitting you I had a dream about this car last night. A woman was driving it and managed to flip it over onto some grass.

Personally, I prefer to the Mk4. It's not been ruined by rice fags....yet.

If your car has
-A/C
-Cruise control
-power windows/locks

You may not post ITT

Can I retrofit a digital a70 dash on my a60?

Anyone ever see a guide?

That sounds like fun lol

Im told the sway bar gets in the way so even with a new hole for the track rod end its steering angle is still quite poor.

Did mk2 supras come with AC?

my mk3 supra has all those, what's your point?

Add a de-powered rack to that list and it's perfect

didn't the A60's come with a digital dash in LHD?
A70 digi dash's only came in RHD in JZA70s, so you'd have to fix all the wiring, somehow fit it into the A60 cluster space, flip it so the space for the steering wheel is in the right spot, somehow silk screen the numbers and gauges onto the plastic cover... it'd be a lot of work. I'd like to do this with my A70 but that already seems daunting. Especially when digi dashes are going for like 300 bucks on ebay and they're not even guaranteed to work.
If you could somehow pull this off though, it'd be rad.

The one I'm in now has gauges, there's this which is FOR the a60, this LOOKS like it will fit. Just from the eye. Any technical reason why not?

What happened to that left tail light? Had the car near fire? Saw similiar shit on couple cars when my trash bin house was burned couple years ago.

Do they feel heavy to drive?

Why is there a Monster energy drink in that bay?
custom catch can?

How can you not prefer it to the Mk4?

The Mk4 looks like a morbidly obese, drooling kid with downs.

That'd be so nice if not for the cutout, hood pins, and license plate placement. wtf.

mk3 appreciation thread?

I'm not sure if I understand what you're doing exactly. So you have an A60 mk2 supra that you want to put a digital dash into?

If yes, that picture you posted will fit into the A60 dash and should work perfectly.

Some people have said the analog to digital conversion is a pain though. Are there any write ups you've seen?

There are a few threads I've read that say the analog and digital have different features that make the swap a pain, but others imply pnp capabilities.

2nd question, someone told me I could pry up the silicon square pictured in the bottom right and adjust some thing to make it run rich or lean. Is that true?

I mean bottom left

Some guy did a complete write up on Supra Mania. If you google LHD digidash bible, you'll find it.
I'm not sure what the differences between the digital and analog clusters are. From the pictures I've seen, both have the tach and speedo, temp gauge, oil pressure, turbo boost and gas. I've seen some mk3 clusters have battery charge as well, though my 92 doesn't have this. It might be a JDM only feature. If your supra has TEMS, both have that as well on the cluster.

It's a pain to do but it's doable. You have to put all the instruments in the digital dash into the housing on your LHD dash and then use the glass for your dash over top. The problem here is that the numbers for the tach and everything are printed right on the glass for the digital dash, so you wont have a proper measure for rpm, oil pressure, fuel tank fullness etc.

Why do you want to swap them?

Rule of cool, 80s goodness, etc.

Might be too much hacking and chopping on an otherwise nice supra though.

my 86 mk3 has the battery guage, non turbo

Nice threAd

This.

Supras as a whole mainly ride on the reputation they got from Need For Speed and Fast and Furious.

Ah, I guess it could be an earlier year feature then

Friend has.
Good is.

wtf is up with that intake manifold?

Nice threAd

Protects ITBs

2jzge? swap?

Yes

its mostly so the factory airbox and crankcase breather can be used.
made out of pvc and sprayed metalic gold ;)
i need to redo it cause it's super restrictive he way it is.

rear suspension is a completely different design between the two, mk3 very superior for onroad performance.
mmm dat engine setup

Super supra

80's god machine