Modifying a car at all

>Modifying a car at all

So you think you are smarter than a team of engineers, race car drivers, chemists, physicists and aerospace people?

>spending all day and night shitposting on the automotive board

Some of us are just trying to kill time at work.

>aerospace people

Well im deffinently more intelligent than you

You mean a Tibetian basket weaving forum?

>So you think you are smarter than a team of engineers, race car drivers, chemists, physicists and aerospace people?
Well I am a physicist, so I'm at least as smart.
I don't really mod my cars though
If I want a track car I'll buy one. I don't see the point in buying some shitbox and trying to turn it into something it was never meant to be.

nope I'm just not their target market
tread lightly and know what you want

Cars are built with compromises to appeal to the widest possible audience.
Think of it like your phone. They're brilliant pieces of technology and they way they come from the factory is more than enough for 90% of people. But as time goes on, you make that phone yours. downloading certain apps, changing the UI, changing the ringtones and ringback tones, wallpapers and security features.

It's the same thing with cars. You take a blank canvass and personalize it to YOUR taste; YOUR personality, until it becomes a reflection of you.

you change cosmetic aspects of your phone, you don't modify/replace internal components to increase processing power/efficiency.
I'm assuming OP is talking about things like engine mods, suspension etc. not things like wheels/tires, paint, hood scoops, and other cosmetic alterations.

I do that when I build a pc.

>you don't modify/replace internal components to increase processing power/efficiency.
Actually I do

Instead of modifying hardware I modify the software. I root the phone, give it my own preferred firmware and software I want, I get the apps and program how I want my battery usage to be. A phone or better yet a desktop computer is extremely customizable like a car just not in the same ways obviously

I'm an Aerospace Mechanic, so yeah, I do think I'm relatively more intelligent that the guy that thought putting dog leg exhaust manifolds on my Hemi was a good idea.

Either way, your argument is retarded. The manufacturer is looking at making cost effective power within the confines of emissions and safety regulations.

On the contrast, I only have to stay within the confines of passing an inspection once a year.

I thought this was a Polynesian flicker book hub.

Quit replying to trolls you tards. Sage goes in all fields.

>So you think you are smarter than a team of engineers, race car drivers, chemists, physicists and aerospace people?

No, just smarter than the accountants that dictate what we ultimately end up with.

I am not. I am however smarter than corporate accountant bean-counters, who actually designed the car based on (ignored) input from the experts you listed.

what a retarded agument

This

those engineers are meant to make a profitable car, not the best car possible

I like fun

OEMs don't like fun

I make more fun

>implying a root is the same as hardware mods

Not smarter, but less constricted by the EPA.

The problem isn't the engineers, it's the accountants. For example those who wouldn't sell the GS300 with a 2JZ-GTE.

>he thinks an accountant would actually be allowed to make decisions like that
do you have any idea what an accountant does?

Yes, he tells the engineers to fuck off with otherwise great ideas because they don't think they'll profit from it.

Oh I see. You're just an idiot. Thank you for your time.

I'm not the one that thinks engineers get to decide things instead of having to do as they're told.

You are the one who thinks accountants are in charge of pretty much everything a car company does. Fucking accountants.

Tell me again how bean counters didn't kill the GN and Fiero because they were cucking the Corvette to death. Tell me again how they didn't refuse to launch the IS300 with a manual option because they thought it wouldn't sell and it took an angry customer base to fix it. Tell me again how Toyota accountants didn't refuse to let Subaru turbo the 86 to keep cost and performance down.

Fuck off.

>do you have any idea what an accountant does?

They sell cars like the Ford Pinto.

>Although the cars had been on the market for years, the actual recall did not take place until 1978, when Ford finally acknowledged that the Pinto’s gas tanks would rupture and burst into flames when a rear-end collision occurred. While the company knew of the problem, they decided it was too expensive to redesign the fuel tank and would be cheaper to pay settlements for injuries and deaths caused by fires.

> While the company knew of the problem , they decided it was too expensive to redesign the fuel tank and would be cheaper to pay settlements for injuries and deaths caused by fires.

That is what an accountant does.

>any business
>not entirely, 100% subject to the whims of its Jews
You are delusional. GM doesn't take a single fucking step without a cost-benefit analysis.

Are you 12?

It's cheaper and you get the thrill of building something, but I get that it's not for everyone.

They are. As in any industry.

>Hood scoops
>Cosmetic

Fucking ricers man

He literally said it was software not hardware

Very poor examples. You might be able to do better when you've worked in engineering.
If I was commissioned to design a toaster and at the end of my assignment my proposal was a toaster that cost $10,000 each I would be shown the fucking door.
Screaming "ACCOUNTANTS REEEEEEEEEEEE" wouldn't stop me being laughed at.
Taking price into consideration is part of an engineers job.
Any idiot can design something at an infinite price point, the skill is designing something that can be made at a price point that will mean it sells.
You don't even know what an accountant does, let alone an engineer. You fell for the "the accountants stopped us" bullshit so you can hang on to some idealistic vision of what actually happens in a car company.

rrrrrroasted

Congratulations on completely missing the point not once, not twice, but three times champ.

ecu flash mang
gotta upgrade muh injectors now

Except that, to come back to my original example, they actually did sell the $10,000 toaster in Japan. All they had to do was put an already existing engine into the car's already existing left steered twin brother. But the cash crushers said nope.

>poor examples
I gave you EXACT examples of that happening in . The death of the Fiero and auto-only IS were 100% accounting decisions.
>GM: Alright, nobody go faster than the Corvette. Especially not for less.
>Buick/Pontiac: LOL IDS TOO LADE :DDDDD
>ded

None of those 3 examples were valid.
No fucking way would an accountant get to decide that a dangerous car should be on the road, they'd just tally up the numbers at the behest of the legal team or CEO or whoever.
The ultimate decision would have almost certainly been made by a senior executive.

Product planning is the domain of the product planning department, not finance.
Shocking, I know.

>Very poor examples.

The fuck are you talking about, they were all spot on examples.

You sure like to get hung up on the word "accountant", ya ol grammer nahsee. Cash crushers, bean counters, call them what you want, we're all talking about the exact same people.

>why do words have to have meanings ;_;
>how about faceless baddies I don't like xD
fuck off you stupid neet

Holy shit the autism is real.

No one thinks accountants literally run the companies dumbass, "accountants" is a mere euphemism for GREED being the deciding factor in car design and manufacturing.

You're thinking how I think, which is pretty lazy, but nobody wants to end up with the Homermobile. Like my car, there's no point me pretending I can make it better than stock, it's pretty amazing in the sum of it's parts.

Your power level is showing.

If you count money and make decisions based on that you are a bean counter. Product planning is a bean counter department. End of discussion. The engineers do not get to make decisions. When they are allowed to do so, magic happens. Magic does not happen often.

No it isnt. Keep thinking 155hp is acceptable, subiefag.

>im a physicist
ur a freshman

>people dont build custom computers
ok

lel

>A less restrictive exhaust isn't better than stock
>better breathing heads and an intake manifold aren't better than stock
>different gearing isn't better than stock
>a rear disk conversion and larger front calipers aren't better than stock
>frame reinforcement isnt better than stock
>tightening up the loose rear suspension with stiffer bushings isn't better than stock
Off yourselves

yes

So most probably shareholders rather than accountants? Or the commerce in general has moved to cost cutting and profit maximising?
Yes I would agree that it's an issue in the automotive sector.

Did you get all this from watching Top Gear? No, it really doesn't work like this.

Sorry, I really can't help it sometimes, I'll leave it here.

Remove exhaust, remove intake, weld suspension , compete in formula one. To the victor goes the spoils.

>it was never meant to be.
>meant to be

Machines have no meaning. They exist. Users give them purpose/meaning. Manufacturers merely offer the hardware.

Even military aircraft are drastically modified and upgraded over their service lives because ALL performance choices are COMPROMISES between cost, available technology, and desired use parameters.

The idea "meant to be" is best specifically visualized as an operating region as with aircraft. Owner buys vehicle which performs well in one region, then mods it to perform better in another region.

Cars aren't built for quality, they're built to make a profit. There's endless things you could do that are only upgrades because the manufacturer cut corners in the first place, and then tons of actual upgrades on top of that.

>Like my car, there's no point me pretending I can make it better than stock

If you don't know how or want to, then that's your call. Never project your lack of ability tho.

>mfw my project car is literally a hazard in stock form
I am smarter than the engineers that built it for God damned sure, because if I wasnt, I wouldn't have to replace the headlight loom to eliminate a very real fire hazard, the transmission wouldn't overheat on the stock cooler, and it would be sufficiently grounded.

Well it depends what your definition of better is, and I don't really have one for my car.

And I am lazy.

fucking
>/thread

Is this what fetal alcohol syndrome is like?

I don't even understand your autism at this point.
How do you function in society?

What if I'm only using one aftermarket company, which is officially supported by the original manufacturer?

>yes, I would agree that is a problem in the automotive sector
Your choice of words can't hide the aspergers. You know that's what everybody was saying this whole time. Find a job autismo.

The best thing I could do is turn my Neon into an SRT4, and I may as well just buy an SRT4 at that point.

what's the fun in not modifying cars?

Let's take a few points on my FD3S:

>standard air separation tank is plastic and tends to explode, dumping all the coolant. Replace with aluminium one or remove
>standard intake pulls hot air backwards through the intercooler at WOT. Replace with desicated intake
>stock intercooler is too small and heatsoaks from the radiator. Replace with front mount
>stock check valves are cheap and rupture after a few years. Replace with viton check valves
>OMP system is a compromise and causes a lot of engine deaths. Remove, premix 2T in with fuel

Few things on the car is just to pass on government laws.
And as a pure anarcho-capitalist, straight pipes matters.

Nearly all Cars are designed to be as cheap as possible, and to pass laws and regulations. Then comes to consumers desires.

"Good" is rarely on the drawing board, which is why so few cars are worth buying today.

No, I'm a working professional.
My degree is in engineering though, not physics

Yes especially if it's a German designed car.

This is the oil filter housing on a VW passat. This is the most frequently changed part on a car. It's buried behind all this shit, and an undershield. It gets better because your not supposed to use the drain plug to drain oil, the dealer uses a vacuum pump but they still put the filter on the bottom.

Relax bitch I just put weeb stickers on the glass god damn

>Not understanding that cars are built to the lowest common denominator
Why is it that people the world over put headers on their LS engines, just as an example? Could it be because stock manifolds are trash and everyone knows it?

my car was designed to be an efficient way to get from point a to point b, I just enjoy getting there faster

r8 my mod list
>torsen type LSD mounted on poly bushings
>6 way adjustable tokico shocks
>lower/stiffer springs (318 lb front, 233 lb rear)
>3 way adjustable front and rear sway bars
>polyurethane bumpstops
>extended rear top hats
>dual core aluminum radiator
>15x7 enkei rp02 with 205/50ZR15 BFG rivals (up from 14x6 with 185s)
>base timing advanced 2°

Pretty much all these mods are things that improve upon the original design of the car imo.

>Tell me again how Toyota accountants didn't refuse to let Subaru turbo the 86 to keep cost and performance down
Wasn't Subaru the one cucking the 86 because they didn't want another turbocharged boyracer chariot competing with the WRX?

car companies design inferior parts to save costs and meet environmental regulations and basically you're fucking stupid

>Not putting aftermarket parts in a 16 year old car for guaranteed gains

>Modifying a pc at all
So you think you are smarter than a team of computer engineers, professional gamers, IBM workers, businessmen and plastic-worker people?