Is there anything wrong with buying a replica?

Is there anything wrong with buying a replica?

>not necessarily just cobras, but any replica

Other urls found in this thread:

listerbell.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=KG3Eqp6dfZo
youtube.com/watch?v=qbuDokpxbdw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's fine if you buy/build one to drive it, but it's cringey if you buy/build one to be seen in it/say you own it/etc

theres a company ( listerbell.com/ )
that makes a replica Stratos and they've done a fine job for fairly competitive pricing. to be honest, when the real thing is just too damn hard to come by unless you've got oodles of dosh, A replica can be okay. not everyone can be this dude.
>youtube.com/watch?v=KG3Eqp6dfZo

Replicas for performance no, they are good things. Replicas just for looks irk me to no end.

if you get one and pretend like its real, or when its really shitty then kys
but replicas of old cars like beforementioned cobra or stratos are fine to me

>Replicas for performance
nothing particularly wrong (in my head at least) with wanting to build on a platform you like with what may be either cheaper/more modern parts but still respecting the original.

no

That would depend on why you get it.
Buying/building a replica because you love the car and want to drive one when the real thing's exorbitantly rare/expensive (such as with the Cobra) is perfectly fine.
Getting one for the sole purpose of trying to impress people by pretending it's the real deal, on the other hand, is just pathetic.

replicas are better than old shitboxes

How does it compare to the real thing? Is it functionally identical?

Many replicas, are based on new chassis' and engines and are functionally better in some ways than the originals.

That really depends on the quality.
Envemo did Super 90, a Porsche 356 C replica. Porsche reconized that it was the most perfect replica in every single detail and would confuse even the experts.

>but I want a replica of a modern supercar
>transform a Peugeot 406 coupé into a Ferrari F360
KYS
youtube.com/watch?v=qbuDokpxbdw

They're fine as long as they're built well. I have no problem with someone building a replica as a platform to mod and take to trackdays or go cruising, etc. The problem is people rolling around in poorly built deathtraps where the builder cut every corner available.

So how are the Cobra replicas by that measure?

No. I'd get a replica for driving and to make a track toy. I wouldn't want to take a real cobra or Stratos or whatever out and about because of fear of wrecks.

Mentlegen

yes because, as in listerbell's case, they use more modern engines and thus there's a billion spareparts around.
also thisnothing cringey about the listerbell, but I'd kinda get a caterham to be honest. I'd also get one instead of an ariel atom though. the atom uses 2 liter accord engines which is great, but comes at quite a price.

fuck ferrari for cockblocking this.

There's a dozen variants of Cobra replicas. I'd trust Factory Five's kit above all else, the barebones conversion isn't perfectly true to the cobra but they sell the parts to make it proper like a 427 and the correct rear suspension IIRC. FFR is above all about making a car that is durable and can be thrashed, not just making a car that looks the part.

Is FFR Factory Five?

Yeah, Factory Five Racing. My phone doesn't like me spelling it out with caps for whatever reason so I taught it that FFR was an acceptable acronym.

Alright, I'll look into that. What are they, like 60-65 grand?

You could probably make a good replica with a 427 for under easily less than half of that. But that's with building it yourself.

>COMPLETE KIT – $19,990 - WHAT YOU NEED TO FINISH YOUR MK4
>Engine/Transmission/Rear End with Rear Brakes
>Wheels and Tires
>Paint
>Fuel pump

There's also some more expensive options you can choose on their order form.

No. Most of the time replicas exist because the cars they are based on are absolute unobtanium.
also

complete kit is ~20k

you supply the running gear (engine, tranny, diff, wheels and tires)

So probably like 40k if you're buying all new parts

The replicas that deserve full respect are the ones that not only capture the essence of the originals, but also enhance the whole experience. A perfect example is the Eagle Speedster. Regardless of price, I'd take the replica over an original E-Type that breaks down every five minutes in a heartbeat.

Obviously all those fiero based countaches and the like are utter cancer, and anybody who buys one of those abominations for the slim chance that they can dupe some fool into thinking they are millionaires, should be executed.

>remaking a no longer produced classic so it can actually be driven
keep building them
>changing a Fiero to look like a modern Ferrari
disgraceful

It's fine if you're in on the joke so to say. It's not the real thing, you know it's not the real thing but who cares, it's fun to drive anyway and in some cases you had fun building it yourself. Plus you wouldn't have your own Stratos otherwise.
Don't hope to impress anyone other than folks who will like the fact that it's a kit car.
Fuck that one E Type replica that costs as much as an original E Type though.

>not dailying an LS-swapped miata with a Cobra body kit

Is that Stratos kit available in America?

nope, not in the slightest. NZ has a lot of companiies doing replica cars. cobras especially.
and we have done cars like the fraser (lotus 7 copy) also one that copies the old MGTF but is powered by a mazda miata mechanicals
you can buy them as a kit or fully built up by the factorys

the only thing you need to know is: dont crash it. the frame is strong as most are on computer designed jigs (in most designed nz kit cars) but the bodies are made of fibre glass.

Aren't Eagles resto-mods rather than replicas?

How much would a classic Ford GT replica cost? No modern shit aside from suspension/brakes. About 150k?