/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, enter Control+Q when you're done so the game is saved for others.

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/cynocephalus
youtube.com/watch?v=22zj6M3DHm8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ohappy New Year, /rlg/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all play our best this year!

github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/cynocephalus
please compile and test this pre-server build with a new race
+5 on all apts, skill limit of 12, 8/8/8 stats +1 stat per 5 levels, +3MR/level
doggie humanoids

other user posted the correct procedures for doing so which i will post after a quick bath

Has anyone tested out the new wands in trunk, like wand of scattershot or whatever?

What do you think of them?

aren't they just the rods of iron/clouds in a new form?

How do I get good at Caves of Qud?

Ye, but those rods are fairly rare so it would be interesting to see if the wands are more common to find and how strong 1 charge of it is, especially since they don't recharge naturally now.

Are you asking how to get Caves of Gud?

no scattershot or inaccuracy or shadows now
all we get is wand of iron, wand of clouds

they're just their rod equivalent in easy to use wand form, limited use but effective even without skill

you'll hold on to clouds because you think to yourself that this may be useful against some really high EV monsters sometime while you get your 30-30-30 tabtabtab

and when you pause at newbie friendly 50% and contemplate your options, you'll look over your inventory and think about that wand of clouds then aa ab tabtabtab

in summary, nothing has changed except those that cared to have fun with style points swapping rods around will be playing DCSS a bit less now

>sil 1.4 soon

Happy new year! Wish you all to not splat as much, all the best and lots of good randarts!
And remember, take it easy and learn from your splats!

What an adventure. MuEE, wanted to try faded altar for fun and got Trog. I then autoexplore into a Sif vault, get immediately confused before I can input, then eat shit for two turns before getting roasted. Happy new year.

Making my way down Vaults
otabbing fast
Sentinels pass
And I'm rune bound

I hate d:1 mage starts so fucking much, how is this even winnable without going into unexplored terrain and waking up even more enemies.

Alright. I'll assure you all that my next victory will not be of a dark/ice orb of power character.

tabbing numbly away
just tabbing my way
tabbing a way
through the dungeon

*o* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab*
i'll clear this vault
*o* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab*
and i won't fault
*o* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab* *tab* *splat*
and now here comes salt...

D W A R F F O R T R E S S

Made by more than one guy.

why are there three enemies in vision at once user
you are supposed to walk BACKWARDS when you see an enemy, not charge forwards to maximize the chances of meeting his hobgoblin and dart slug buddies

coded by one single dev. thays what matters

but that requires pressing more keys than tab

seriously why does tab move towards enemies by default

there are like no situations where you want to move with tab other than killing a D:1 bat that keeps fluttering out of melee range

Pretty sure he said in one of his posts/interviews that at least one guy other guy writes with him.

Plus, DF isn't really a good example. It has worse design than any of the roguelikes and almost-roguelikes allowed on /rlg/, including Dredmor, and all the fun comes from the game mode that is nothing like roguelikes.

Anybody have a list of DCSS monsters by speed?

That's not even bad.
Gnoll packs and cattleprods on D:1 for any **Wi is just fucking insta-splat.

It's annoying, but that's not even my issue with wizard starts. My issue with wizard starts is the complete lack of an AC breaker of any kind without getting lucky on books.

Replace Slow with Bolt of Magma so Wizards stop getting walled by Orc Knights/Death Yaks because they can't get a book drop worth a damn.

>Orc Knights/Death Yaks

evoke feet

it's obviously kept that way so qw can continue to function without a ridiculously massive ai overhaul

Not true at all. You just haven't played enough online games.

Happy new year you animeposting faggots, win a lot of real rogulikes this year.

I only play real roguelikes like Crawl and PCB.

wow Gud one

>skill limit

woaahh so tactical and cool!
just kidding kill yourself

RLGROBIN ON CSZO

I'm insanely drunk and it's only going to get worse

be my hands, /rlg/

What's the point of the alter reality spell in *band? Does it have any use, any use at all, outside some kind of ironman game?

never really critical, it's a minor quality of life thing especially if you have potions or castable enlightenment so that you can hunt for vaults, but even so you can just use recall to regenerate the dungeon.

>being so drunk you type the wrong server

it's CBRO, you hobo

you know what man

quit giving me a hard time

happy new year dumb akari poster

it gives the same effect as recalling to town and back would, so no it's not very useful unless you use the ironman option that disables town

I will probably be asleep later, so congratulations, /rlg/!

i use everything i can at the slightest hint i can die in every rl. considered hoarding more but its just like the **** is the point for waiting for near death later if i may die now

>easy_lore=JUSTFUCKMYSHITUP

Maulers are my classfu in Poschengbandu

truly, mauler a best

Is there any situational use I might have for a potion of ambrosia? Right now, I'm in Depths before taking on Vaults:5, and I'm pretty bulky (38 AC, decent resistances). Really scratching my head trying to think of a scenario where they'd be useful to me.

When you tele out of bad situation on low health and need to quickly heal before anything spots you.

aaaaand literally the next floor of Depths, my lack of rElec almost killed me, and I find myself wishing I'd kept those ambrosia potions.

Fuck.

You're not playing a caster or vinestalker or Chei so you never need them

Can you cancel the confusion with curing? I had some success with Sublimation + Regeneration for Abyss healing, but if Ambrosia can be canceled in emergencies it might be safer.

yes you can, but the confusion and the regen are tied together so you'll stop healing as well

ambrosia is strongest in the early game when the regen is high enough that you can just facetank enemies with it on

Possibly worth the inventory slot then, although I'm still not sure it's worth the additional risk. Sublimation can occasionally do 50% HP damage or so, but taking two turns to escape also seems dangerous. And I only have a limited supply of Ambrosia anyway.

taking two turns to escape?

you would probably just drink it while waiting for ?tele to go off in the mid to lategame. it won't heal fast enough to get you out of a sticky situation on its own

The diggermaster's true power is not having to bother with finding stairs.

>can't kill them
>can't get books
>can't get xp

literally wall

One to unconfuse, one to escape e.g. cBlink.

>because they can't get a book drop worth a damn
Worship Sif, get every spell by the time you're in the endgame.

>cBlink
Which is impossible in the Abyss.

>impossible in the Abyss

what the fuck are you talking about

Wiki says "Blinking will always be random, regardless of source". I haven't personally checked this.

I haven't played crawl in a long time. Can you still do the deep water trick as a MfAK?

>wikitavernshitter in charge of playing the game

what? don't drink ambrosia in situations where you will need to immediately unconfuse

burglars and sorcery casters can create stairs too

makes Dark Cave 999999x less annoying since you can just dive to the bottom

If it's safe enough to do that then it's probably safe enough for Sublimation of Blood + Regen, which doesn't burn consumables and doesn't delay you for a turn while you unconfuse.

Sometimes being an unarmed user is suffering when you get such good loot that early and can't use it.

>same number on all apts
>8/8/8 I r8 8/8

Call me when you finally grow a brain to intelligently design a species

Yaweh here. You called?

it restores hp much faster than the regen spell

if you have regen castable there's just about no point where you should be in a fight without it active though, and ambrosia stacks with it

again, it isn't for refilling your hp bar and going back into the fight anew, except at low levels when you have a smallish hp bar

you use the healing to buy time when you don't mind being confused but need to wait for something, usually a teleport

>if you have regen castable there's just about no point where you should be in a fight without it active
As a Spriggan, starvation is a real possibility. Regen makes me use 5 times as much food (proportionally bigger impact on Spriggans than any other species) so I don't like to use it all the time.

ok correction
>if you have regen castable and aren't playing one of the 2 things that hunger actually matters for (sp and gozag)

youtube.com/watch?v=22zj6M3DHm8
>tfw it's finally 2011+6 for me
And then I'll be back to playing Demon.

happy new year east coast

what roguelike would Ryan Seacrest play?

The Binding of Isaac for sure.

get out

It was kind of pathetic to see people whining about why BOI isn't talked about here in the previous thread

Happy new Year of the dong!

Remember, if you play roguelikes on the first of the year, you play roguelikes all year. And today is a sorcery sunday, too!
I hope you cast a lot of neat spells today and throughout the year!

If their game was worth discussing they'd have their own general.

they had one

long ago it merged with the nuclear throne general to become /lite/

/lite/ exclusively posted about Gungeon for a few weeks and then died amidst cries of "thiccccccccccc"

Let us not have a repeat of last year's thread, shall we?

what happened last year, senpai?
i haven't been in /rlg/ that long

Horrible, horrible things my child.
Some of them were even not roguelikes! Yes, I know that might scare you, but I think everyone should know the truth.

>user drowned in the shower

Good. A fitting end for a waste of food and oxygen.

Man, this art looks familiar.

it's nobbers.

>not /rlg/
missed opportunity.

>xom makes my weapon look sharp
Did this do anything or is he just havin a laugh
xom is a lot more fun than I thought he'd be

Started that before even visiting this thread.

Xom has just made you look dull.

>iwtcird
>2016
isn't that the horse equivalent of posting a rage comic in 2016? I thought that meme had died years ago.

>Sends me to the abyss 5 seconds later
i'd like to go worship trog now thanks

It has already gone through that stage, slammed through the bottom and came back as a nostalgic memento.

I see.

Have you ever tried ADoM? The public release version I mean.

doesn't that give temporary cleave?

the buff used to last for like 2000 turns for some reason