What does Veeky Forums think of the turd gen Firebird...

What does Veeky Forums think of the turd gen Firebird? I'm considering getting a z31 but the Firebird looks attractive too. the only thing is I've been in 3rd gen camaros before and visibility was pretty bad. not to mention it's like 500lb heavier than the z31.

how good would a firebird be on the touge?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=0NBOjGyGmz4
youtube.com/watch?v=c9cZSLfh7Xw
youtube.com/user/NedacFilms/search?query=G92
youtube.com/watch?v=g5SzsZgX7sg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I was pretty much set on getting a z31 if I could find a decent one. I'd prefer a 2+2 though and it's hard to find a turbo version, if at all. and the NA only makes 160hp. there's not much you can do with the VG30E except swap in the turbo engine. on the other hand I could have 200+hp with a v8 firebird, but that would be useless if it sucks at taking corners.

both of these cars cant turn for shit
both are pigfat and slow

theyre highway cruisers or drag cars at best

F bodies actually handle fairly well, especially for their age.
(inb4 memes, do some research)
>visibility
Welcome to coupes. Adjust your mirrors properly and the rear corner blindspot won't be a thing.

However you will have to get an auto f body, they only put the manuals in the 305 turds because the manuals are made of glass.

Third gen was the worst gen dude and I love mine

how about you actually drive one

I drove a 4th gen and it was shit so of course and 80s shitbox is going to be even worse

200 hp is fucking garbage when your car weighs 4000lbs. What's the smog laws in your area?

the Z is like 3000 lbs which isn't light but isn't pigfat either

and I could get a much better car but I want an 80's shitbox with popup lights and T-tops

I just like visibility becuase it makes driving feel better for me.

>autotragic
that could be a deal breaker. if I were to increase the output of the 305 would I have to get a new tranny?

it's the coolest gen though

I live in cuckifornia. so smog laws up the ass

>if I were to increase the output of the 305 would I have to get a new tranny?
Absolutely. What you want is a 350 with a shift kit. No clutching but it let's you manually shift. These cars can turn okay compared to other 80s/90s v8 cars but they'll never corner like a little turbo coupe. You actually might want to test drive some Mopar before you pull the trigger on that turd. Dodge Daytona may actually give you more of what you're looking for.

Bro I'm sorry but youre completely and totally 100 percent shit outta luck. Believe me. I had an 84 bird with T tops and pop-ups and their is literally not shit u can do that car and keep it smog legal. Almost every aspect of that shit is smog regulated including even putting headers on it because of the A.I.R. pump systemp. Even the air cleaner housing. Also as mentioned above only automatics had the 350 in it. Even so it's not a good 350 it's a shitty 80s choked 350 putting out 170hp and you can't even legally remove the smog equipment or tune it. And then you get into the whole issue of computer controlled 4 barrel carbs that you can't adjust or crossfire injection and early gm multi port fuel injection. You would just have to accept that it's a slow car that just looks cool to cruise in. If your fine with that then go for it. If you werected looking to build then move out of state or get some mexican to smog it. 700r4 tranny is pretty dope though. The 305 is completely fucking unless u can't even build it in any way shape or form your better off getting a junkyard Vortec 350 but good luck smogging that

Ps 3rs gen was okay but second looked the best IMO

Th350 with a shift kit ding ding ding

If you're doing a turd gen, get a WS6 GTA. It's the absolute cream of the crop, and they don't cost anymore than a regular Firebird.

Yeah but I didn't even read that he's in California. He definitely definitely would be better in a Daytona if he actually wants performance in addition to t tops and pop ups.

damn. I mean I could replace the tranny but I'm not too keen on not having a clutch pedal.
>dodge daytona
I wish I could find one.

just fuck my shit up. I'd be okay just cruising but at some point I'd get frustrated at having a slow shitbox that sucks in the hills. I am moving out of california soon though, but I'm not sure where to.

hard to find, but that's what I am looking for.

I cannot find ANY daytonas nearby. have youe driven one?

Shift kits are illegal? Ruh roh shaggy

>fwd
no thanks

Yeah I was all about turbododges back in the day. I had a 600es convertible which was only available in automatic but I had a friend with a 5 speed turbo Laser which I know is largely Mitsubishi but as I understand it the Daytona is quite similar

the Daytona looks a lot like the Starion/Conquest.

I'd go for one of those, too. I hear the motors are pretty stressed though, being a turbo I4 at 200hp. and no T-tops. I might be cool with a sunroof though.

how old are you if you don't mind? just curious

E-Rod, motherfucker.

>best visibility of any Fbody, better than the majority of new cars
>one of the best American chassis during the 80's
>ttops are cool no matter what anyone says
>rear hatch and folding rear seats provides a fuck ton of space
>good after market and community(thirdgen,org, hawks third gen)

A 5.0 TPI 5Spd 1989, and maybe 1988 if my memory is right Firebird Formula without Ttops, and G92 RPO code rear end is the best handling and accelerating Third Gen Fbody short of a 1LE or Firehawk.

>tfw missed out on a $1800 1989 TTop 5Spd 5.0 TBI mostly rust free Bird a few days ago

Good luck smogging it champ

>how good would a firebird be on the touge?
youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=0NBOjGyGmz4

My friend had a black and gold TA like that with a 305/auto, I beat it in my 5spd Focus. 305 is dogshit M8, only redeemable with the T5 behind it.

I'll be 40 in a few days, got a doctor's appointment tomorrow for my first official middle-aged-gentleman checkup. Madness.

Conquests are pretty badly rice taxed around here but then again I'm in the rust belt so most of those smog era nipboxes are literally vanishing. For whatever reason the actual dodges hold up a bit better. It always seemed to me like most of the best examples of these cars appear in California but maybe that's changing.

Theoretically you should be able to find one that hasn't been too terribly flogged and add a dirt cheap "manual boost controller". It won't exactly be "reliable" per se but it'll give you the aesthetic and performance you want so far under budget that you could afford to change head gaskets a few times.

Of course that's just one old moparfag's opinion

I love f-bodies but the C4 Corvette is better in every way. Plus you can buy AFR heads that are emissions legal if you want more power.

EO D-250-2

thanks for the image mate

I'm a bit put off by the fact that it is ~3500 lbs. compared to the Z it's nearly 500 lbs heavier. but the engine is way easier to modify compared to the Z31.

how do I make sure I can find the right model? people oncraigslist don't even know half the time.

damn, you old fuck. I do live in california actually so no rust problems, but ironically I can find 3 starions/conquests in my area, but no Daytonas.

and I appreciate your opinion. worst comes to worst, I end up with a cool looking car that I sell in a few years becuase it wasn't fast enough.

I'd get the C4 in a heartbeat, even has the digital dash. but I don't think I'd be able to afford insurance.

Get Firebird. Become moody synthpunk.

youtube.com/watch?v=c9cZSLfh7Xw

I thought this thread would help me figure out what the hell I want but I'm getting even more torn

the commericals for it are sick too. I'd love to cruise at night blasting synthwave

The thing with the weight is that the type of driving you do is the biggest factor in how it'll affect how much you'll enjoy the car. Sure I like driving lightweight cars for their ability to just be chucked into a corner, but I like these cars so much because they're perfect to cruising long distance on two lane highways with someone else, or just for hooning through town. The thing about the downhill is that the lightweight is always better, so for toogay fun the Z car is probably going to be better, since its not only lighter but also has a better suspension. But if you really want the fbody spend a shitload of time on the thirdgen.org tech info and history forums learning about these cars. 1982 model year fbodies don't have them but every other year has a sticker with all the RPO Codes somewhere, however the car that I wanted to buy didn't have most of the original interior pieces, and it wasn't until the 90's or so when GM started putting those stickers on things that were more permanently attached to the car. So always make sure to ask questions, and learn what each letter and number in the VIN means if you care about originality.

General car forums like Veeky Forums are always the worst for Third Gen Fbody information. There's a lot of misinformation about these cars, the most common one being everyone's disappointment with the 305, despite there being a million different 305's, and the LB9 TPI 305 that would make nearly the same HP and Torque as the 350 but come with the 5 Speed manual. youtube.com/user/NedacFilms/search?query=G92 this guy has a lot of cool 90's street racing videos and information on this topic.

>not posting the synthwave song with the GOAT 80's car music video
youtube.com/watch?v=g5SzsZgX7sg

Nah worst comes to worst you crash it, you'll almost definitely blow it up if you go fucking with the boost but that's kind of the whole point and they'll pass smog no problem. I'd actually love to test drive a Conquest and I think you definitely should considering what you want out of this car.

well I don't want to think about that kind of worst, even though it's pretty possible. I mean with regards to my decision, since I'll have a chance to get a different car in a few years anyway.

but yeah, I want to at least get a test drive in a few different cars to see which one would be the best

>not posting Lazerhawk instead
>implying I'm going to post it either