Anyone own a Hyundai Santa Fe? I'm thinking of buying a 07 with 180k miles. I saw it today...

Anyone own a Hyundai Santa Fe? I'm thinking of buying a 07 with 180k miles. I saw it today, body's in good shape some rust around the brakes, not on them itself but in the wheel if that makes sense. Anyone know any specific issues with this model? I noticed the airbag light was on and also when turning the car would skip/hesitate. The guy said it could be the ball joints but he's not sure. I'm getting it checked by a shop tomorrow to see which he's cool with so that's a plus.

With that said is it a good idea to buy this car in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5909609724.html
newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5937899886.html
newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5935049198.html
longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5917754979.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For what it's worth, there was a girl driving her mom's Santa Fe on the highway here a few weeks back and got hit head on by some drunk idiot going the wrong way. She lived.

Why do you want a shitty old Korean crossover?

It better be extremely cheap if it's got that many miles. Hyundai's aren't known for their longevity. It's probably pretty close to the end of it's life by now.

K

He wants 2600, I'm hoping to talk him down to at least 2300 but we'll see

But damn really? If it can last at least two years I'll be happy with that. And in this price range nearly every awd is complete shit. It drove really well to me, the brakes and suspension is good. I'm hoping there's no major issue with it when we go to the shop tomorrow

Stop. It's a shit car. It was a shit car new. It's not even good awd. It's fwd until it slips. Just buy a civic for 3k and get snow tires. Or you could get snow tires for your current car. Awd is unnecessary.

Okay if you think it's shit that's one thing, but saying awd is unnecessary is just stupid. Unless you live in fucking Florida or LA

And no I'm not getting a civic I'm tired of driving small cramped cars

Awd isnt necessary. Changing your only contact with the road is way more important than which wheels are driven. If you can only afford a shitty Hyundai, don't bother. You're sacrificing getting an actually good car just to get a meme.

Well no shit the tires are most important, but all things being equal the awd will perform far better in rain/snow than a fwd. It's not even close. To try to argue otherwise is just pointless. If they both have winter tires the awd will drive better, far better. Not to mention SUV/pickups are generally safer crash test wise even if you flip compared to most fwd seden/coupes

>suvs and trucks are safer
No they're not. They're equally safe as any good car.

If you want a big comfy vehicle for 3k get a panther.

You're a retard if you really think that

This

180k miles is EOL on those engines. The rings are on borrowed time. I bet it's already shooting the blues when cold.

Assuming that's true how much more mileage should I expect to put on the car?

Except civics ARE memes.

Exactly that's the funniest part about this dumbass arguing with me. Yeah I should buy a small cramped civic that's either been riced to shit, beaten to shit or repaired with aftermarket/junk parts. Sounds like a great idea

You can find clean civics. They aren't all beat to shit.

For 3k or less? I seriously doubt it

Even if it's that cheap, you'll be shelling out for repairs pretty soon, so that $600 is gonna disappear fast.

I'd say about 50.

Post your local Craigslist.

What used car that cheap doesn't need repairs? Also I've been trying to find info on how bad these engines actually are, other than the crankshaft I can't find shit.

NYC area

Go ahead and try to find a cheap civic that hasn't been Puerto ricanized or run into the ground

newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5909609724.html

newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5937899886.html

newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/5935049198.html

longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5917754979.html

I don't know how to drive manual yet, going to learn fairly soon though. But not bad, pretty good finds.

Also two of those are three weeks old they've most likely have sold by now

Is there anywhere to see at what point here engines tend to fail? If I can get 2-3 years out of the car while doing less than costly repairs I'll be happy with that.

you're better off buying a car with fewer miles or a car that's generally regarded as more reliable (read: not korean)

also fuck awd

ask me anything.

You can tell the kids from adults BIG TIME in this thread.

Mileage and year? Would you recommend? Is what's best said in this thread true because I honesty can't find any real reliability complains, but it doesn't seem like a very popular car either. Any major issues or concerns you've had with it?

>awd isn't necessary
Go take your moms civic off roading, then come back and say that. Then again there's a strong chance you're not old enough to drive at all.

The airbag light could indicate that the airbags have been deployed in which case I would steer clear

regardless the fact that the light is on shows an issue in a critical safety feature of the vehicle

when you say the car would skip/hesitate when turning what do you mean?

2009 and had the fuel pump replaced by hyundai's warranty. Just oil changes, battery, and alternator over the years.

No it aint exciting. But it does everything I need it to. I was cross shopping with RAV4's and the Toyotas just weren't worth the extra $.

I play in the snow with my 2WD suv every now and then. I don't take it on gnarly Jeep trails, but I will stand and say AWD is pointless for a daily driver, unless you live in bumfuck nowhere and it snows a lot.

a honda civic is not a car to take off roading

but neither is a hyundai santa fe

my dad has a 97 civic and I've been amazed at the horrible roads he's taken that thing on.

awd is a nice luxury but not necessary unless you're actually off roading, then you'd not want awd but a 4x4 with locking diffs

When I turned the wheel all the way to the left or right, it wouldn't make a smooth turn. It's hard to explain, it did one of those skips, like the car was struggling to do the turn. But it only did it on turns. Also that could be true now that I think about it, as far as the airbags go. The more I think about buying this car the more I'm unsure. It seems like more work/money being thrown into something I'm not really confident about.

True, when I drove the car it was pretty bland but smooth and comfy. It seems like one of those comfy cruise in traffic with soft music cars, not really sure if that's what I want though.

Car might of been in an accident, I'd say steer clear

That's not the point

He's saying awd is unnecessary and get a civic. My point is buying a civic and slapping snow tires on it is not the same as owning an awd. Plus it may not have all the features or interior room someone may want/need so telling someone to get a civic when they want an awd is moronic

It sounds like the car is suffering from torque bind. I don't know what Hyundai uses for their awd system, but I know that it's an issue in subarus when there is damage to the drivetrain. For example, my subaru wagon got towed and afterwards it would shudder when turning at full lock, which means something was fucked up.

>awd is pointless
>except for these situations that millions of people deal with

This fucking guy

I live in the snow. No winter vehicle, rwd is plenty, if you aren't a shit driver. I'd have a FWD if I could decide what fucking car I want.

>I live in the snow

No you don't. You live in an area where it snows.

>I'd have a FWD if I could decide what fucking car I want
You *do* know that FWD cars provide better traction than RWD cars in snow, ice and rain.......right??

Did you ever get that fixed? I think I might just call it off. It seems like more trouble than its worth and I haven't even had a mechanic look at it yet. Oh well I used I'll keep looking then.

Nah, That generation v6 last for fucking ever, everything else on the vehicle will die first.

Of course he doesn't, as he is clearly a fucking child

18 and just got his fucking license at best

Yes, that's part of the reason. The main reason is that 17 MPG sucks. And most FWD shitboxes get you at least 25.

Not everyone is an pimpled faced faggot working part time at chunk e cheese like you

nigger i make $20 an hour, how bout you?

The point is that the AWD in that Hyundai is complete donkey shit