/indie/ - Indie Games General

He Did Nothing Wrong Edition

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy,Cookie Clicker, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indies, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

gamejolt.com/games/lisa-the-pointless/221705
youtube.com/watch?v=D5kgkNvur8c
youtube.com/watch?v=ACe9jXeMphI
youtu.be/c2hzfWbPq70
youtube.com/watch?v=dBWKwbjj020&list=PL6PHQCxAqpJTLqJjrDXhr_rXx0ta5rv4M
youtube.com/watch?v=xNbOE1ga7ZM
youtu.be/nV0BST2nifk
pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gonna shill Lisa the Pointless, a fangame in development.

Demo Download: gamejolt.com/games/lisa-the-pointless/221705

Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=D5kgkNvur8c

Reposting this here since I idn't see the new thread when I did on the last board and I don't know how to delete posts.
you could make another version that you think would be appropriate for them.

Any one with a new years resolution? Any indie devs wiith any?

gay nigger here, how many Lisa games are there and which order should I play them?

Lisa the First (the original freeware game, you could skip this)
Lisa the Painful (the kickstarted main game)
Lisa The Joyful (sequel to painful)
and apparently
Lisa the Pointless (fangame)

Three, but you don't actually have to play lisa the first. Lisa the first is basically a yume nikki inspired/ fan game that's shorter andmore direct with its story while also being a prequel to painful. Lisa the painful is the main game and is a side scolling grid movement rpg game. Lisa the joyful continues the story and is dlc to painful. First is free, painful is 10 bucks, and joyful is 5 buck dlc.

>How many Lisa game are there?
2 and a half.

What order should I play them.

Lisa the First (it's actual title is just "Lisa" but it's called the first to distinguish it from the others.) It's a Yume Nikki clone. People say it's a lot weaker than the others, so if you don't like it you can just watch a playthough on youtube. It's about the titular girl trying to escape from this creepy guy in her house.

Lisa the Painful. This is the "main game" of the series. It's about Lisa's brother, and his quest in a post-apocalyptic wasteland populated by only men to save his daughter after she disappears from home.

Lisa the Joyful. This is the epilogue to Painful, and Lisa's brother's daughter is the protag.

There is also a fangame called Lisa the Pointless (only the demo is out so far, you can find the link right after OP) and a mod of Lisa the Joyful called the Arkantos mod (go to the indie booru's forum for a link) which adds an extra questline for the protag to do.

Hey Karbonic, which one of your character do you think has the biggest cock?

Happy New Year /indie/!
As good as stardew valley is, goatsim is the memiest shit for youtube kids aka /v/ kids and actually got frequent updates and expansion packs.

>In development
DROPPED

What's the general consensus on Inside?

This fucking rebel camp event keeps fucking me up in Expeditions.

>Can only deploy 6 people
>have to fight 10 people
>Who come at you from all sides

So far I've just been save scumming and trying to get the materials to build barriers (the mission in that event isn't to win, just survive 10 turns) to plug in all the gaps that the rebels can get through.

It's the next Limbo from what I gather with all positives and negatives attached to it.
The plattforming controls are kind of horrible but it fits the theme and leveldesign.

Everything about this mod is good except the combat, which is like The Joyful (repetitive, no party customization)

>except the combat, which is like The Joyful (repetitive, no party customization)
Bah. That shit really killed The Joyful for me.

Does it feel like the combat is there just because instead of properly being part of the experience?

Copying and pasting from the mini-review I wrote

>While the combat itself feels a little rote, it fits into a larger framework that works on both a mechanical and thematic level. Restorative items are scarce, enemies don't drop a lot of XP or stuff, and both save points and opportunities to rest are few and far between. The overall effect is the game is much more about just surviving than The Painful. Fighting is hazardous to your health and hard to recover from, and avoiding it is sometimes the best choice. Items are valuable and you never have enough.

So the battles fit into the game but are in itself as pure gameplay not that good.

Yeah I'd compare it to something like New Vegas where each individual mechanic taken by itself is trash, but together they're more than the sum of their parts

The graphics and sound are also really good. They used all the music from The Spiteful and The Hintful and all the other fan projects that never went anywhere

>like New Vegas where each individual mechanic taken by itself is trash
fite me fgt

It's true though

The gunplay and combat are clunky, the VA work is poor outside a few characters, the world looks hideous even with mods, half the map is just filled with copypasted cazadors and deathclaws to fill up space, etc etc

And yet it's still my favorite Fallout game

Sure it's garbage, but that's just Bethesda's legacy. Obsidian's new mechanics improved the rotten base, but they couldn't work miracles and bring it on par with the originals.

>And yet it's still my favorite Fallout game
i will seek and destroy you

The old school Fallouts were the same way

>useless stats like CHA and STR
>INT and AGI are the god stats because they determine how many skill and action points you get respectively
>AP system means melee is useless due to movement using the same resource as attacking
>cluttered skill list (Doctor and First Aid, fucking Gambling)
>steal and sneak are basically useless because the game is full of scripted events that don't check for them
>combat takes a thousand years to resolve a single turn if you have more than a few NPCs involved
>Fallout 2 is completely filled with obnoxious references and ebin memays

But despite all that, it works

>final area just has me walk into all these enemies and they instantly melt

Uh yeah the first battle that gave me xp??

OK this was quite the levelup. Al the stats except HP and Mana are at 999 now. Dedusmuln apparently bugged out with the HP/MP but other stats are there.

>useless stats like CHA and STR
Hold on, are you talking about New Vegas? Because it can't be the originals Fallouts - CHA determines the number of followers you get and weapons need STR.

I guess autistic minmaxers could technically mentat all the followers they want, but if we argue that, INT would be equally useless.

>CHA determines the number of followers you get

Only in 2

It gives me all that shit and that was it. I feel this is just more commentary on typical jrpgness.
The dude you saw and controlled during the chapter intermission appeared as ghost after the letters collapsed but there is no info if he had any role.

I had to go back and look because I couldn't remember the specifics

The highest strength requirement for a weapon in Fallout is 7, for the minigun. By the time you get your hands on one, you should have power armor, which boosts your STR by 3. Therefore the most you need is 4 STR. The minigun kind of sucks anyway, and all the other big guns and heavy energy weapons take 6 STR, so the most you need is 3.

I know a lot less about the endgame weapons in Fallout 2 because I could never finish it. The further I got the more it crashed, until I eventually got sick of beating my head against that brick wall.

>this one gun needs 7 str and you only use it with power armor so you only need 4 lol
wow fucking amazing logic

Most early/mid game (ie. before you get power armor) rifles need 5 STR. Hell, even good pistols do.

Also worth mentioning:
H&K CAWS needs 6 STR, and it is a very good weapon option because you can get one for free early on.

What's the gun Joel uses? Based on the shape and the fact that it's a single-shot pistol which fires a big bore rifle cartridge, my first guess would be a Center Contender

That abram guy seems shifty. Why are quest givers either assholes or shifty fucks?

Why wouldn't they be? Just do his job and don't ask questions.

>Why are people that telle complete strangers to do their busywork shifty assholes

Hey, I'm the one doing what they can't. The least they could do is be polite.

>Abram
>shifty
[Angry coughing]

He is polite enough, all things considered. And he pays you a lot. You don't really have the perspective yet to judge it, but you have to pull off some impressive shit to get the kind of money he casually hands you for fairly easy work.

youtube.com/watch?v=ACe9jXeMphI

Did I do something wrong? Why didn't I get a verdict in Murder Dog IV?

Stardew Valley pro-tip:

As cool as a maple syrup production farm might sound, don't do it. It's not worth it.

1. You don't make that much money.
2. It eats up a shit ton of copper and wood and, by extension, coal.
3. You spend all your time uprooting seeds to keep your farm possible to navigate.
4. All other time is spent cutting down trees for wood or clearing the first 40 levels of the mines for copper.
5. It's boring.

This is getting almost too meta for me. But boy, ain't he right.

There's something I've been thinking about Ezra.

What if he isn't intentionally lying to you, but he actually doesn't remember his past? All the other old Biocorp immortals (Nosek, Dyson, Leo, Vasilica) aren't doing too well mentally. Maybe age has taken its toll on Anton as well.

This game has a beauty in all its facettes. From audio to visuals to writing and gameplay it all is so pleasunt on the mind.

What's this called?

Interesting idea, I never really thought about it. But could be.

But on the other hand saying that all other immortals have some mental issues is a bit vague, and not really unique to them, nor are they suffering from the same issues or share the same kind of immortality. Nosek went mad from what he discovered, Dyson remembers just doesn't want to, Vasilica we don't even know because he is, you know, a mutie and wants to kill you. There are some sane...er muties out there, but most of them already crossed the rails. It just means Vasilica is not one of the few exceptions. And Leo, I don't know if he has anything to do with Biocorp. Several people had been to Hollow Earth, especially when the Hanging Rat elevator was still functioning. He could have been one of them. Or not. But in either case, he is the way he is because of feeling Tchort's presence in his mind 24/7 for who knows how long.

But Ezra, he is perfectly sane, so that already makes him different from the rest. And if he has some kind of memory loss, it is relatively mild. He completely remembers psimorph research at the very least. And if something happened to his memory, it was only after Depot A. It would be interesting to know when did he joined up with SGS. He was probably not there in the pre-Tanner era, because Jonas only freaked out over Tanner not aging, never said anything about Ezra.

Seems like a bug.

I think the chapter intermission dude is named Dracula and is tellign the story. Also it always makes me laugh knowing that killing Gibby doesn't really change much since everyone an just come back to life anyways.

Even the Ocean
Another game by the Anodyne team.

Can someone recommend me a decent game that doesn't take up much space? I looked through the recommended section and couldn't find one that I wanted to play.

youtu.be/c2hzfWbPq70

Westerado's a good free browser game that got a paid expanded version on steam.

Space Funeral

Looks interesting, think i'll try it out. Thanks.

Bump

So what's indie doing for new years?

Playing games.
Kind of disapointed about this place. It's where the intro starts. I expected at least a text to why I don't want to go back there but there is just an invisible wall.

I played through Ridge Racer Type 4, a beautiful game that makes me wonder why so few indie devs are bothering with lowpoly 3D (that isn't the flat-shaded stuff). Great soundtrack too.

youtube.com/watch?v=dBWKwbjj020&list=PL6PHQCxAqpJTLqJjrDXhr_rXx0ta5rv4M

The last race is actually set December 31 1999, with the race finishing at midnight, but I didn't notice that at all while playing, lol.

>The last race is actually set December 31 1999, with the race finishing at midnight,
Pretty cool. Could use that to jump into a different meta like horror by the game fucking with your with the 2000 panic.

bump

Progress.
Second boss' Boss Room and battle image.

Damn not even thick robots can help /indie/ today.
What does battle image mean? Is it that entire image during the battle or just the character?

Yeah, just the character.
Commonly refered to as Battlers in RPG Maker.

Ah nice. That is the resolution for the asset ingame?

Yeah, RPG Maker VX Ace has a resolution of 544x416

Oh shit, Marcos got cloned. Now which is the real deal, and which is the pretender?

Looks neat, were you at all inspired by splatoon when designing this character?

I was more inspired by Megaman, honestly.
With the armor meant to simulate one of those japanese school swimsuits.

Has anyone got a torrent for Shenzhen I/O for Linux?

youtube.com/watch?v=xNbOE1ga7ZM

/pol/: The game

>win arena fights
>crowned Mister freeze
T- thanks.

Where do the tentacle things on her head come from though? Any inspirations for that?

There are worse names, but eh, that's what you deserve for shooting nothing but ice spikes.

Manta rays, believe it or not.

In stardew valley, I want to max hearts with everyone. To do so, does that mean I need to have 5 girlfriends and 5 boyfriends before getting married, or will the other two hearts unlock after being married? Really don't feel like bein' a slut.

I can sorta see that. The wings of the manta are the tentacle things right?

yep

/indie/ is dead. Long live /indie/!

Even if that doesn't get finished, that's some killer pixel art, better than anything in the original trilogy.

DOn't mind me asking how far this game

Huh, so that's how they did the breathing effect in Stardew Valley. You'd think they'd layer it properly though.

I wonder if this'll be good, hopefully.
youtu.be/nV0BST2nifk

How the fuck do I disable to the steam save sync system? I unchecked "enable" in the properties but it doesn't fucking work

In working with FTL trying to load my save file to a siblings because he can't unlock all the ships but eveytime it starts it ignored the save file I copy paste in there and instead grabs his save from his steam cloud. Even in offline mode.

Requesting the played/expected/got image with Terry Hintz and the hottest dance

I got redirected here, but an Antibirth question: PlatGod says that if you use Sulfur twice, you get Brimstone permanently - does it carry over even if you use another active item?

Thank you.

tumblr as fuck

People of /indie/, give me thine opinions. In a RPG, how much customization do you consider to be "too much"? In the one I'm working on now, classes are loose suggestions and not rigid rules, with extremely heavy customization. Perhaps too much. So I want to ask, where does the sweet spot lie for you?

I don't think there can really be "too much" customization, as long as the game is built around that fact. You can have it so the characters are all blank slates that you can make into literally anything you want, like older Dragon Quests, FFs, or most WRPGs or whatever, but if the characters are specific archetypes and personalities then it's probably better to have them be more contained and restricted to fit with those archetypes.

Personally I don't like infinite possibilities for building characters because I feel too overwhelmed at the possibilities, but I just solve that by getting build guides for myself or something.

Might be alright.

Almost everything /indie/ is Tumblr as fuck, what's your point?

Adult modded Skyrim levels. I want to be able to customize boobs, butt, hips, and even the size of my character's dick if she's a futanari. And everything else too.

>/indie/ likes pink and japanese things
really made my noggin expand

I have never seen a game with too much customization. Often ones with too little.

PoE has a nice example of class system with good amount of customization yet the classes still remain somewhat relevant.

How it's set up is that you have a class, and you get a few techniques and a bunch of passives from your class from raising its class level. You can switch classes at save points. Equipment is something you manage over the course of the game and you craft your own. On gear you can add elements, stats, resistances, and even techniques and passives. You can have a sword that lets you cast Fireball and it has Fire Boost passives on it. You can also mildly break your equip limits too, so a mage can use a greatsword if they please. But yeah, a class is a suggestion, as it gives you things that go towards what you want your final build to be, but you have to make up for any losses by putting them on gear. Also a note, that most techniques you learn through skillsets, so you must level up swords through real use to get more sword techniques, for instance.

A-user please. I'm talking from a gameplay perspective.

I actually haven't gotten around to playing PoE yet, but it seems like it uses a FFX-like grid. Does each class have its own grid or do they share their own?

PoE's passive skill tree is shared with all classes. They just start at different points in it. Some builds can and will travel all the way to the opposite side of the tree for important keystone nodes, but generally speaking most of your nodes will be relatively close to your starting area.

What really makes this particular implementation impressive is the huge decision space. Despite it the skill tree still remains balanced enough for a competitive game like PoE.

Take a look at the online skill planner.
pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

Thanks, I'm skimming it over now. I already noticed loads of modifiers, like 6 Spell Damage +10%. Do modifiers get out of hand in that game? I'm trying my best to stamp modifiers out myself and keep the power level from creeping.

Kinda sounds like FFTA's classes and equipment-giving-skills combined with Dark Soul's weapon customization and baseline class that can become anything else. Sounds neat.

>Dark Souls weapon customization
Honestly, Dark Souls doesn't have much in the way of weapon customization. It's actually more similar to Diablo's. How the customization system works is that the weapons have souls in them that level up and when they do, they get a stat called "Potential" which you can spend on various upgrades. The system is like that because I like diablo's "gear can upgrade basically anything" stuff, but I don't like that it's complete RNG, especially since such things can have a major influence on your build. That's why I chose to do an equipment crafting system. You get the same quality stuff as amazing drops in diablo, but you work towards it instead of it being luck of the dice. It'd be tedious to manually do the upgrades all the time so I need to implement blueprints and auto upgrades later on, though.

That's what the minor and major nodes in the passive skill tree are about. There are few build-defining keystone nodes like Blood Magic or Chaos Inoculation but for the most part it's simple modifiers or flat bonuses. All passives. The modifiers don't get badly out of hand. It's much better than in Diablo 2.

Active skills in PoE come as skill gems that you customize by linking them to support gems in the sockets of your equipment.

The game has some really cool systems from game design perspective, I suggest you play it at your earliest convenience.