Just got approved for a loan (even though I can pay outright cash, I just need to build up some of my credit)...

Just got approved for a loan (even though I can pay outright cash, I just need to build up some of my credit). Getting my first motorcycle, the CB300F. Am I making any mistakes? Any other alternative to consider? I'm just commuting 30 miles to work, so this will save a few bucks for me.

get a CBR300R instead

Girls won't fuck you if they see you on a 300F

>honda
Not the best choice.

Get whatever the fuck meets this criteria:
>Used
>Cheap
>Reliable
>Able to perform all around riding
>Something that looks moderately nice to you

That's it. After riding and owning a motorcycle for a little while, you're gonna discover what things you personally really value in a motorcycle. Use this knowledge to ditch your first motorcycle (remember you bought it cheap.) asap and get the motorcycle that fits the bill of your now-known needs list.
Then be happy.

Your first bike should be the trial run bike that makes you fall in love with riding and you can get rid of right away, but that's not to say the next bikes will be keepers either. You're always exploring.

Dont listen to fanboys like , Honda is a solid choice.

BUT

Is right.

Buying a cheap bike that you wont mind if you drop is a better choice for a beginer.
Also, bear in mind that you wont be keeping your first bike forever. Buying cheap (and selling the bike once you have learnt to ride and once you know what you really want on a bike) is a good way to start.
> this will save a few bucks for me
Riding a bike isnt cheap.
You MUST buy yor gear including:
-Helmet +200€
-Motorcycle gloves +100€
-Motorcycle boots +150€
-Motorcycle Jacket +200€

>A loan
Never.

Disagree. A small loan is great for building credit. I'll be paying $120 in interest.

After the initial investment, motorcycles CAN be cheaper (at least in the states) depending on what you ride and how you ride.

Bigger issue is whether you'll be okay with the inconvenience of a motorcycle for your commute. Inclement weather and putting on gear every time you want to commute might get annoying after a while.

Get a SV650
>useble on the highway
>more comfy
>great handling

>heavy as fuck
>slow
>overpriced

>slow
>compared to a fucking cb300

>financing your first bike
>financing a CB300
>financing a bike that's as slow as a Ninja 250 and costs way more
>getting hit by depreciation on purpose

Don't do this.

>financing a fucking motorcycle
>financing a first motorcycle
You can't be that poor or no one will lend to you, so are you clinically retarded?

Don't buy a brand new 300. If you really feel it's necessary to a small displacement bike buy a used 250. If you want to buy new as a starter get an FZ07, ninja 650 or any detuned sport bike

I'd recommend getting a turbobusa like my 15 year old nephew. He's having a blast. You want something you won't get bored of

Got a 2 year loan for $2k and only $80 in interest with no credit. Bought a KLR

I used to have this same attitude but you will realize you have to build credit somehow at some point. Just do what OP is only take the loan out for something you could buy outright anyway

Seriously. You're a retard if you buy a CB300. Buy a used SV650 for $2k and be done with it

>buy a crappy bike
God damn i hate suzuki fags

this, honestly. you need enough power to get yourself out of a sticky situation, and you need something you can really grow into.

>implying the SV650 is anything other than god tier

Pretty serious shitbike

Name a better learner's bike for

Fz6
And thats just one

wr125

SVs are just the newer GS500s. Is an SC your first bike?

RIP wranton

>RIP in pieces WRAnton
>"he never scored"

I am curious why you would think the SV650 is a crappy bike.

>fuel injected
>650cc v-twin
>easy to manage linear power
>neutral riding position
>160 rear tire, not some beta 120 or 130
>enough power to actually be useful for highway travel
>god mode suzuki reliability
>dirt cheap, holds value well
>can be tracked
>enough power to extend the beginner/novice riding experience for a full year instead of a few months
>cheap to insure

Honestly buddy, you're going toe to toe with one of the biggest Suzuki fanboys in the game. Not only are all my bikes Suzuki, but so are all my cars. I know their bikes better than you know your own little cock. The ONLY bad thing that can be said about Suzuki bikes is an arguably inferior master cylinder design (come on, why can't you let us bleed from the MC) in their early 2000s bikes and dodgy electronics in their 08+ bikes

No argument can be made in favor of a R3, Ninja300, or CBR300 other than it looks pretty. It gets absolutely annihilated in every other department.

F.Z.6.

Good to know you enjoy underpowered heavy things

I wont argue with you, the FZ6 isn't a bad alternative, but that is mainly because it's mostly the same as the SV650.

Not sure what argument you are trying to make. It produces 45~ lb/ft of torque at the wheel which is more than double a 300. Power to weight ratio typically isn't a concern for beginners.

There is only one answer...

>mostly the same
More hp and less weight is not the same
Im not OP. Not sure why youre comparing 300s to 650s

cheap though

I'm thinking about doing the exact same think.. I found a 2007 Rebel 250 with 5k miles for 1000. I could cash it out, but I'm going to finance to build credit. It to be a great commuter that has cheap maintenance and great gas mileage for my 50 mile/day commute.

I had a white 2015 CB300F that I bought for 3450 to which I also took out a loan. I bought it at 1085kms in may and by the time I was done in early October I had 5000kms on the clock. I loved that fucking bike, it was my first bike yeah but it was amazing and so much fun you'll have no ragerts buying it br/o/
I'm still sad I sold mine but I figured I had too because I'm leaving for military training but I sold it for 3300$ and paid off my loan with 300$ leftover.
Honestly OP do it, you'll love the bike

CB300 has great low-end torque
It's not fast like a 600rr but it's not slow either.
Same if not better speed than a Shitbike 650

What this guy said. I started with a Ruckus and instantly regretted it.....but that mileage tho. I have since upgraded to the NC700X for the adventure aspect and am looking at the super10. If someone gives you carp for what brand you like them Fuck them. Honda and yamaha have the highest ratings for reliability. They are all that will ever hit my garage floor. But that's not to say a Harley(tied with BMW for LEAST reliable) is not something I drool over. BMW makes most Honda look like a slug as far as performance goes. But I also agree with the other guys. Get some cheap thing. Used dualsport or the like. Something you can drop and won't care. Cuz it still makes my chest hurt thinking about spending half the cost of my NC700 just for the new plastic when I crashed it.

V-Twin doesnt mean it's fast
On paper a 950 V-Twin seems like it should be faster than a 600 Single Cylinder but clearly that's not the case. With V-Twin you generally (not always) half the CC's and thats the kind of speed you can expect.
For example my 950 VStar is about as quick (not top speed wise) as my CBR500, I find anyways

Make sure there is no penalty in the fine print for paying it off early. Dealers have a way of hiding that by having a statement indicating the final cost which is to be paid for across the loan time interval. If they word it that way, paying it sooner still means you have to pay that final total cost. So be aware of fine print.

What the fuck are you dribbling user. SV650's arent some ancient cruiser v twin motor like a Harley. Your rule can apply to cruiser oriented V twins in some cases. But its shit regardless

this

You can't really compare them anyway, a big low revving torquey engine in a big heavy cruiser is going to feel different to a smaller, higher revving engine in a lighter sport-standard.

You're effectively comparing a big lazy V8 in a landyacht up against a tiny econobox with a tiny engine.

Fuck you honda is the shit

Aircooled yeah.
Otherwise you have to adjust valves every ride.
It gets annoying