Yfw the salesman at the stealership won't tell you the price of a car without signing a paper

>yfw the salesman at the stealership won't tell you the price of a car without signing a paper

Two different dealerships have done this to me

Are they all shady crooks?

Yes

is there not a sticker on the window....?

Yes. Either ask for them to be straight up or shake their hand and walk away.
I've done this a couple times and it's actually satisfying to shut down a dealer like that.

For what fucking reason would they need a signature to tell you a price?

I told them I wasn't signing anything unless I knew the price of the car. The guy said it was nothing more than a "gentleman's agreement" and I just laughed and walked out the door.

It had the year and the mileage, but not a price. Some of the newer cars on the front row had prices in the window, but most of them had "see salesman for more info" which was shady.

The shadiness of dealerships is fucking astounding. Most of them are crooked. Im glad I work for a good auto group now.

Thats the best you can do.
Most dealerships try to act like bros, like you're their buddy and they're doing you special favors.
It annoys the fuck out of me every time they act like this. I just want them to cut the shit and be honest.

I've never been to a dealership where the guy didn't try to bullshit me.

I get that they're trying to make money, but why is it so difficult just to be honest and up front with someone you clearly aren't going to be able to BS?

Thats my point exactly.
I almost want to tell them to straight up cut the shit, but I don't even feel like I'd be able to trust them then.

>tfw my own cousin became a dealership salesman and is a completely different person now

He sold his own dad a fucking jalapeno green Chevy Spark for $21k.

Because they successfully BS people regularly. You are of the small minority that doesn't get taken for a ride if you walk through the door.

I'm glad I can say I work for an auto group that doesn't lie or play games, because the shit I witnessed happen at my other dealerships was sickening.

It's just a control thing, they want to be directing your actions. The first signature is the hardest, but by the 4th or 5th it's cake.

So first, whatever petty "gentleman's agreement" bullshit. Then a liability form about test driving cars. Then a credit check. Then a finance app. Then youre buying a car and youre already 4 signatures in.

Just a really cheap psychological control "sales" tactic. If not executed with grace it just comes across weird. Like a guy trying to get a girl to commit to sex before the first date lol

I've never come across that. Stop going to sketchy ghetto dealerships.

can you tell us where these are or provide a picture of what they look like?

have a feeling OP went to a BHPH site

>They have cars in a lot so they are a "dealership"

Say you aren't signing anything and pretend to lose interest, saying there were a few other cars on different lots you were interested in.

You always have to seem like a hard sell to the dealer, otherwise they'll fuck you.

This. If you're going to pay cash, buy from a private seller. If you want to finance, go to a bigger, non-sketchy dealer.

>Go to dealership to look at Audi A6 listed at £1395
>See it in lot as I drive in, stick says £1195
>Test drive goes well, salesman is a bro,
>Offers to knock it down to a clean £1000 just to free up space as it's been sitting for over a year
>Buy it
>Turbo explodes 30,000 miles and 4 years later

Fucking stealerships

Is buying a used or older model car recommended at stealerships? Say I wanted to buy a 2015 model or something.

Still sounds like a good deal... New turbo will run you like 500 pounds, less if you get a ching chong one.

It's a joke mate, I fixed it and am still driving it 12,000 miles later

no 2015 model anything is worth buying.

Don't waste you money on anything newer than 5 years

Either buy new or buy old, don't buy "nearly new" shitboxes with 15 minutes left on the warranty and likely haven't seen a service yet

This, it's all about control.

Was looking at Mustangs a few months ago, called a few Ford dealerships and asked them if they took trade-ins. They said yes, but would need to see my vehicle before offering anything. I said cool, made an appointment to come in and have them look at it.

>get there, park car, walk in
>shake sales lady's hand, sit down
>she goes over some pricing with me about the Mustang, confirms what options I want
>then says "OK and our finance guy is right over here, so he'll go over exact payments with you right now"

I was like "I'm not buying anything today - I came here so you could tell me what you would offer on a trade-in, that will dictate what I can spend and when I can spend it."

>"Ohhh....OK let's get Bill out here and he can look at the car then."

>guy looks at it for literally 7 seconds, turns and says "$2500"
>I scoff - it's in great condition, no rust, all maintenance, 2 sets of wheels and tires with less than a year of wear on them, vehicle is 9 years old

"That's too low, you guys need to offer me more than that."

>hmmm, let me see what my guys will offer me then, I'll call some wholesale places because you gotta understand I can only give what wholesalers will pay for it and I give you the best price that they offer me right?
>so let's see
>comes back 5 minutes later, probably pretended to make some calls
>I can go up to $3,000 but no more, and that's with both sets of wheels and tires

I told them I would have to think it over, that was way lower than I expected. I did my homework, I know that they sell for $7500-9,000 on the used market.

>well you gotta understand we are selling it a wholesale place, so we need a safety margin and then they need to make a profit too

I re-evaluated my needs, and decided to get an SUV. Bought it from a Toyota dealership, they offered me $4500 right away, sight unseen. I got them up to $5,000.

Got an e-mail from the Ford dealership a few weeks later asking if I was still going to order my Mustang. I called them and told them they lost my business solely because they low-balled me, and I told them what the other dealership offered me. They sold my vehicle to a wholesaler as well, and the wholesaler told them he had no issue paying $5K for it because he knew they were reliable cars that would run for 500,000km.

Ford lady got really indignant and said "Well we have a business to run to you know! You don't always get what you want!"

And she hung up the phone - no fucking joke.

I tell everyone I meet what a shit dealership they are, I'm sure I've cost them some sales because of it. Feels good man.

Of course they took you for a retard you went to look at a mustang

>talking about trade in first thing
>going from a mustang to a shitty suv or crossover
kill yourself.

>>talking about trade in first thing

Why wouldn't I talk about that? I already went over all my options and what not with her via e-mail, but I said I needed to know a trade-in price before finalizing anything. She totally pushed that aside when I showed up and moved straight to "let's sign these sales papers". I didn't like that shit at all - it was rude and patronizing.

>going from a mustang to a shitty suv or crossover

I bought a Toyota FJ, it'll still be driving on the roads in 2100 A.D., and I didn't have to haggle with the sales guy at all. Plus they offered me a way better price for my trade, and my new vehicle won't hemorrhage value like a Mustang.

A Mustang would've been a bad choice as my sole vehicle, considering I live in Ontario. I live in a rural area so a RWD sports car would be shitty 5 months of the year, not to mention the potholes 12 months a year.

Buying a more expensive used vehicle is only good if you're buying from an actual car dealership. Like a Dodge or Hyundai or VW dealership. Not "Shifty Nigger Eddie's Used Shitbox Emporium".

You sound salty as fuck. If you are trading in a vehicle you obviously have to mention it to the dealer, it affects taxes, financing and down payment amounts you dingus.

sounds like something arabs would do

You're only supposed to say you want to trade after you've finalized the car price. The toyota fj cruiser is not an fj40. It's not indestructible.

>You're only supposed to say you want to trade after you've finalized the car price.

Then they change the price of the car, and advise you that a trade-in adversely affects their margin and materially changes the nature of the deal that was organized.

They're within their legal rights to change the deal entirely if you tell them at the last minute, and you'd be a stupid slimy nigger for doing that anyways.

>oh but WAIT - I am trading in this rusty shitbox too!
>well sir we arranged this deal based on the details you provided, and we asked if you were trading anything in at the beginning of our discussion - had you advised us that you were trading in a car, the deal would be different
>NO NO NO DIS DA PRICE WE AGREED YOU TRYNA FUCK ME NIGGA NAH NAH U GONNA GIVE ME DAT PRICE SHEEEEEIT IMMA TELL ALL MUH CUZZINS U A BITCH NIGGA IF U DONT GIMME DAT PRICE SHEEEEEIT

And FYI, the old FJ40s aren't as reliable as you think they are. They were reliable by 1960's standards, not by today's standards. An FJ Cruiser will go 8,000km before needing an oil change, an FJ40 will drink 3 litres of oil inside 5,000km and rust out after 25 years unless it's babied. Stop with your memes.

and you really think that would work? like they are so desperate for your business, especially now that they know they have to deal with whatever shitbox car you hand over? lol fuck off kid.

The sticker price or the invoice price? Either way it's stupid, tell them to get fucked.

They lose nothing by embarrassing themselves by trying to shit a shitter, but they lose an opportunity if they DON'T try those tactics on someone who turns out to be a sucker.

see They lost business by acting like jews. They could have offered more than that, it's not like it's a trade secret what any car sells for on the used market. Spend 30 minutes on autotrader.com and plug in your vehicle's details - you'll get a great idea of what it's selling for, and what a reasonable trade-in value would be.

Dealerships that go to such insulting levels to save a few shekels deserve to be boycotted.

Why wouldn't you talk about trade-in first thing, you fucking cuck?

Man just kill yourself.

Leave them a bad review on Yelp and make sure to mention sales people by name. Always hurts them. Even better if you can add a photo of something unclean or shady.

ITT: autistics pretending that if they ever had the emotional/social skills to sell an object to another human being they wouldn't try and get every penny they could. Kek.

Not to mention the profit margins.on new vehicles are so small nearly everything else sold everywhere in any kind of store has higher profit margins built it. Do you guys walk into every store and sperg out because soap and toilet paper is like 2-300% profit and the average new car profit is about $900 on a $30k machine. When you bought your daily chicken nuggies for $3 it probably cost the grease dealer less than 1.50 to purchase cook and hand them to you in your Honda civic. Lol.

because he doesn't know anything about buying a car, and probably thinks that you can spring that on them at the last second and they'll still have to give you the price you negotiated prior to the trade-in

he's an idiot

what about sending them dick pics or putting dick pics on yelp

t.jewish nigger

How would you know bus pass nerd.

Used cars like this are some of the best deals because of the lease economy and the depreciation hit.

Don't listen to people glorifying the ancient shitbox life.

>what about sending them dick pics or putting dick pics on yelp
Generally that will flag your review and images for obscene content and will get them removed. With Yelp it'll also be an automatic account closure.