Why the hell do people have such weird rituals when it comes to driving stick...

Why the hell do people have such weird rituals when it comes to driving stick? I always see people wiggling the shifter around and going in and out of various gears for no reason or wiggling their hand on top of the shifter

Like look at this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=MJ1SwxLb0R0

What the fuck is this retard even doing? I know how to drive stick and there is literally zero reason to do 90% of the motions he is doing with his hand. Put it in gear and fucking leave it alone you fucking moron

Why the fuk do you care about how other men handle their knobs OP?

You're a fucking thot

these are habits you develop when driving a manual. basically it is to see if you're in neutral and doublechecking you're in gear etc when driving.

sorry but that is complete baloney. it's obvious when you're in neutral as the shifter just flings back to the middle. also gears are notchy, it's obvious when you're in gear. the guy in op's vid is just a retard

surely this srututu business gets old after a while?

some habits like wiggling to check if in neutral, double checking if first, etc are fine, but the guy in the video is retarded

What exactly do you need to double check? It notches into first, you literally feel it.

Does it hurt to double check? What a fucking sperg

damn, reminds me of the faggot that bought my previous car

('01 Forester with 200k on original head gaskets, had trans and viscous coupling going out and I sold it with a "bad rear CV axle, 2 hour job tops" for $3500, top kek)

anyways on the test drive,any time we stopped and he had to put it in first, he would grab ahold of the shifter like it was an upright pole y'know, and fucking SLAM it into 2nd, then 1st as fast as he could

Of course it would grind badly into 1st since the synchros had no idea what they did to deserve it, and after a few times of me ignoring it, the fucker had the gumption to ask me what was wrong with the car

Autism took over and I half-shouted "what the fuck are you doin there bud?" the next time he did it, he got all sad and upset but i ended up explaining that his retard motion wasn't necessary, it goes into 1st just fine

Mfw he does again when he's driving off with the car (ended up buying it kek, I didn't feel a twinge of regret)

mfw no face

I wiggle in neutral but i think that's perfectly acceptable 2bh

>it's obvious
If I didn't care about my car, I'd love to see you try to drive it.

What car

>I haven't driven an older car before
Yeah it's not always obvious you're completely in gear or in neutral. Try again faggot!

He'd go 2nd then first? That's fucking weird. Worst I do is I make sure to shift back to 1st before going into reverse. If I don't, for some reason, it'll grind and I hate hearing that sound.

'89 Cougar XR-7.

I drive a 1989

1st then reverse is a good thing, a lot of 5spd trans Subarus won't go into reverse or will grind unless you do it, I forgot why but my mechanic explained it at some point

But yeah it wasn't even a normal shifting motion, he would grab onto the stick and just fucking dump it into 2nd as hard as he could then immediately into 1st

In the United States, there's a whole stupid culture to driving manual that I never really I understood. I've driven both, and obviously manual has some applications but why rip on someone who drives automatic when 1) they are not driving a truck, and most other cars are auto models and 2) They are stuck in traffic for most of their commute.

I have friends who drive trucks for a reason, friends who race, and they don't make some big fucking deal out of manual (and they actually need to manually handle gear shifts). Why does someone commuting to their office or retail job in a fucking honda or pontiac make it like it's some holier-than-thou bullshit

Reverse gear doesnt have a synchro, thats why.

No synchros on Reverse gear. My Ranger does (M5OD) so when I switch over to my (T5) foxbody I grind the crap out of reverse until I remember.

some cars have terrible transmissions so yeah it is kinda necessary

>hand on stick in gear

triggered

What the duck is that guy doing? Does he feel the need to constantly give the car a handie? Shift, hand back on the wheel, its simple.

My truck won't go into first sometimes with out pulling into 2nd becuase the synchros are bad.

Also wiggling the stick is a good way to keep the car moving involuntarily when starting, and in some cars its not that easy to tell if you're in gear or not.

So if anything its show's you've driven very few cars in your lifetime.

Let me guess you've never driven more than one car with manual?