Just had my first manual driving lesson after only ever driving auto for 9 years

Just had my first manual driving lesson after only ever driving auto for 9 years

man, how long do you think before it gets easier.

I feel as though I put my foot down to hard on the accelerator when I get to the bite point.

anyone got any tips

I'm worried now because I bought a WRX and scared I will end up letting the turbo kick in at stupid points.

should've got a regular impreza

don't use the clutch. just feel for the RPM sweet spot and cram it.

this, and then you should've just slapped a turbo on it later.

or get a used rustang or camaro with a stick after the first owners find out they're too shit to handle stick and keep the regular impreza

Practice all days, it will become natural in some weeks.

It'll probably take you about a week to get competent enough to not grind gears or stall all the fucking time. Just practice, man. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

do both at the same time, you just swap your feet positions.

dont wait for the bite point just be accelerating and let the clutch out

how do you guys drive around in car parks and shit.

in auto I just let the car roll forward on its own and use brakes to slow things down or keep it rolling.

you cant do that with manual and I feel as if I am going too fast when backing in and stuff

When crawling around a parking lot it's okay to ride the clutch.

just ride the clutch and let it out slowly and shit.

think I should hope in my car or take a few more lessons first.

I really don't want to fuck my car up lol

would sitting in the car late at ight and just practicing the bite point in my driveway work?

like learn to creep forward and backwards

yes. when my dad was teaching me he just had me drive up and down our street in first, stopping and starting for the first week until I learnt the bite point of the car.

Yeah, probably. Just learning where the clutch engages, how fast you can let it out, etcetera. It's really hard to fuck up a car just from messing around with the clutch a bit, unless you dump it at full throttle or something. That might burn your clutch or blow your gearbox.

takes time but it's mostly clutch control

also depends on what car you drive... some cars are comfortable sitting in first gear and rolling along slowly at low RPM, then you can just brake to slow down and clutch in before it stalls

Before owning a manual car I had 1 hour of practice driving a z3 with a heavy clutch years back. Also some time on dualsport motorcycle. Then I drove autos only until i bought my manual car. Took me about 2-3 days before I felt completely comfortable with bite point. Then about 2 weeks before I could confidently take off every time. Only thing that scared me was hill start, but if you're good at getting to the bite point it's only a matter of doing it with brake/ fast enough

or just use the handbrake

Too many people who drive manual are scared of giving the car some revs when they move off like you say. It's why so many people lug their engine when moving off and can't do a hillstart without using the handbrake.

Don't be scared of a few RPM. You're nowhere near where the turbo kicks in for your car. Who cares what people around you in automatics are thinking. They're fukken dumb.

Like it would make a difference. His car basically is a normal Impreza until the turbo kicks

think of clutch/gas as teeter totter. watch some youtube tutorials where it shows exactly as you should shift in footwell and such

Wait you're actually taking lessons? Fuck that. Go to a parking lot and do the following:
>start from a stop using only the clutch successfully five times in a row
This will teach you your clutch's bite point.
Now, on an empty, straight road, cruise at 30mph in 2nd, pay attention to the rpm, then shift to third. Pay attention to that rpm. You now know approximately how much you have to blip the throttle to get the revs up before releasing the clutch when downshifting.
Getting going and downshifting smoothly are the hardest parts of manual. You should understand the principle of both after maybe 10 minutes of training yourself with that.

I got my WRX about three weeks ago and it is my first manual. I got it off the truck and immediately had to drive a couple hours for the holidays. I had a couple hours practice in an old ford focus before.

The throttle in the WRX is very on/off and at first I didn't have the foot control to not rev up to 4k rpm when I would try to take off. It gets better with time but I still have to mentally go through my foot movements at lights to not rev up real high. 1st to 2nd is also very jerky and I've found you can mitigate the jerk by letting off the clutch slower than you would normally.

Also the turbo only engages when you're actively on the throttle and accelerating. It barely kicks in in 2nd but 3rd it will kick in a push you back starting at about 3k rpm. You have to want it to spool. Just putting around town, it won't build a high amount of boost.

I taught a 15 year old girl to drive a manual, after 10 minutes in a parking lot she was ready for the road. Never had one problem.

You're a fag.

>10 minutes in a parking lot she was ready for the road
Bullshit

I got my license of an automatic but I am learning to drive a manual. Let me tell you, this is an entirely different animal. I actually got to be pretty decent at driving manual before taking the G2 exam because I was nervous about failing due to my city (Toronto) and the surrounding area having extremely high failure rates. However, with a manual, my driving is total dogshit because I'm still having trouble concentrating both on the road, on shifting, and on clutch control.

I think the absolute hardest part is uphill starts. You will roll back if you get the bite point as you normally would with the clutch, you need to get to the point where the car really starts to vibrate, where it will almost stall. This is the hardest part and I need a lot more practice. Another big hurdle for me is things like parking/reversing since I just want to avoid using the clutch because I don't want to stall. What I end up doing is just doing a shitty job of parking in lieu of correcting myself and getting it right like I would with an automatic, where I can just pump the break and start and stop anytime with ease.

I guess it's hard to suddenly have to use both feet to control your speed instead of just hitting the brake.
What I do is I just leave one foot on the clutch pedal, the other on the brake, let the clutch out a bit more if I want to accelerate and push the clutch in and hit the brakes when I want to slow down.

As with anything, practice is the only thing that'll help.

Yeah I think after a few lessons (maybe 6 more hrs or so) I will get more comfortable with it and I'll be ready to purchase a manual car so I can practice on my own. I want my first vehicle to be manual because I think it would make you a better driver and because I don't want to limit myself to a only driving certain vehicles. Also, the rest of the world is driving mainly automatics and if I travel or move to another country, I don't want to be that dumb foreigner that can't drive standard.

>Also, the rest of the world is driving mainly automatics
EDIT: I meant driving mainly manual, not automatic. Sorry about that, friends.

When trying to engage in 1st, can i hold the brake with my right foot, release the clutch slowly til I get the bite, then touch on the gass and slowly release?

Or do I have to get to 1500-2000 rpm before I start releasing the clutch and keep it there til I get to the bite point then release slowly

>can i hold the brake with my right foot, release the clutch slowly til I get the bite, then touch on the gass and slowly release?
That's what I usually do, and you should be fine unless your engine has like zero torque.

I use 2nd for parking lots and it won't stall unless the car comes to a complete stop. I also have the torks to start from 2nd though.

I'm a beginner too. Basically, when you start to release the clutch, your RPMs drop from about 1000 idle to 600-500. Anything less than 500 and your engine will stall. To avoid stalling the engine, you can give it gas. I'm a beginner like you but logically, I think you shouldn't rely on revving the engine before you release the clutch each time because even though it might prevent you from stalling, you will probably waste gas. Also, my instructor told me to try not to watch the RPMs because if you rely on that, you're not watching the road, but that's beside the point.

A good tip I have for you to find the bite point (provided you're on a relatively flat surface, not on an incline) is that usually when you hit it, you can hear the car get quieter. If you release the clutch past that point, the car will start to vibrate, which indicates that you're almost at the point of stalling.

Use second, its probably fine to crawl around 10mph in second for most cars.

Even after years of driving stick I still get the occasional shake and jerk after I shift and let off the clutch.
I don't give a shit when it's just me in the car but when I've got others I feel self conscious that they're thinking I can't drive stick when I can.
I just can't shift smoothly and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

You're taking your foot off the clutch too fast, or you're pressing the gas before your foot is fully off the clutch.

I bought an 02 Mustang GT with a MT before I ever touched a manual. So I got a buddy to teach me for an hour. I was dog shit for a couple weeks.
The only thing that you're messing up with is either:
1. Letting out the clutch too quick, not enough gas
2. Too much gas, too slow clutch
3. Combination of both
Just get out on the road and in a couple weeks you'll be alright. As long as during those weeks you don't seriously damage your engine by shifting into 1st on the freeway or something. Take it easy with the downshifting til you really feel confident with the shift points

If it's one of the new ones it because of the stock map. Half throttle.isn't really half throttle. It's a trick to make it feel fast than it is.