/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

if you're not making a new thread you should be at least making game you lazy motherfuckers you know demoday's around the corner and you need game to be there get to it edition

> Next Demo Day 12 (SOON)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Play Demo Day 11
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

> Play Dinosaur Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-dinosaur-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/i0W2tVRS

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/wUh6itNN

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
Haxe: haxeflixel.com
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F-zdpFb9I
youtube.com/watch?v=RatZwCM-dv0&t=18s
scarfdev.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/Coxyworthy
forum.unity3d.com/threads/horrible-2d-performance-on-my-large-tilemap.235115/
youtube.com/watch?v=XTgFtxHhCQ0
patreon.com/ConceptionGames/posts
patreon
youtube.com/watch?v=I4bmjrv0f5Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for engine dev best dev

is this furry?

kickstarter stretch goal

seriously though I think waifu/husbando bait is enough, guess ill cross that bridge when I get to it

get the fuck out of my thread

oops forgot the reply link

you have to approach it as making design decisions that make your game more interesting and enjoyable to watch and comment on. there's nothing wrong with this. "youtuber bait" (aka generic gimmicks that youtubers latch onto) is like the low hanging fruit version of this. also youtube views ain't worth shit. depending on the game/audience millions of views wouldn't get you 20 sales.

resolution: have something to show at the next demo day.

>depending on the game/audience millions of views wouldn't get you 20 sales.
nani?????????????

Working on a new special attack and adding new animations.

I have a feeling that there will be broken combinations by the time I add all the attacks depending on how a player uses them.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F-zdpFb9I
mentions how views dont translate into sales

Finally got my shit together and now I'm building a proper UI/backgrounds. How does it look? Is the overall artstyle appealing?

Reminds me of MS

yooo

what's the brown sphere in her belly

overall the UI style looks nice
the actual information might be too small
color scheme of the UI is very close to the BG

Looks nice, I think the UI could be bigger, or at least the text.

MS?

If you don't know what it is then it doesn't matter. Sorry.

There, I started writing dialogue that would vary depending on the age of the girl. I wish I knew more about what girls of different ages talk like, since I don't really spend any time around them.

I'm still unsure about my approach for generalizing outcomes (loli responses) across multiple scenarios (player choices) though, since sometimes you'd want to go back I think. Ugh. Maybe it'll all just end up more hard-coded.

Also, should I keep track of a "conversation mood"? Or just use the loli's mood? As a way to make sure the player doesn't ramp stuff up quicker than the loli can handle - or maybe I could use both, but then you'd get bonus good points for smoothing the conversation ramp-up into lewdness (or any other mood change) rather than going straight in, even if the loli is already in a certain mood?

For mood I've got Happiness, Relaxation, Arousal (sexual), Seriousness, Anger, and Surprise as axes of mood.

I used to post "Sim Loli" in the subject field so people could filter me, but then Veeky Forums removed that. I don't use a name because it sticks with posts and I don't want to annoy people by namefagging in other threads that I post on, and it was annoying to turn it on/off all the time.

good 'boot, user

>since I don't really spend any time around them.
Thank God

Someone r34 this please

That video is specifically about the glut of 2D platformers.

You're a faggot and your game is shit. You should literally kill yourself you kid diddling piece of trash fake ass wannabe programmer.

it's okay because this is actually just westworld but with robot lolis instead of robot cowboys

Friendly reminder this cunt is blacklisted and gets banned on sight.

>Ugh.
i always knew there was something to that stat about fags being 10x more likely to be child molesters
thanks sam hyde

wew think of all the art if I could see those sprites

this vile reaction you guys have when it comes to paedophiles, that's how i feel about furrys

this vile reaction you have when it comes to furrys, that's how i feel about you

Is your demo going to have a tutorial, user?

furrys have actual game devs at least like anubis
loli rape sim dev is just an autistic pedo who keeps toying around with his gay little engine forever with no real goal

Anyone know a great program just for changing normals?

Fucking blender is killing me. All the little lines showing the normal directions are facing the correct way, but as soon as I import into unity they're inside out again. If I reverse the normals so they're facing the wrong way again it still happens for some ungodly reason. I just have a knack for fucking up one or two normals every time I make something.

I'm currently working on modeling the second part of the first cave, but there's not much to show about that.

Here's some progress with the new particle assets as some user noted.

>captcha stopped at 97%

select all faces -> hit space -> "make normals consistent"

I like it. What are the other controls?

Hooray got Veeky Forums pass, I can post again. Here's some gay progress from a couple weeks ago.

Tile based lighting bullcrap
mapmaker placing tiles
saving/loading the map

Right now it's left stick to move, right stick to aim or swap lock targets, and L2 to "boost" in a direction. A jumps/jetpacks, B parries. X and Y are going to be melee attacks but I haven't actually implemented those yet.

Nothing at all for mouse/keyboard yet since making a completely different set is a mild hassle and I'm not sure how to actually handle aiming in that case.

youtube.com/watch?v=RatZwCM-dv0&t=18s
Please actually die.

Oops forgot to show off my ~*Veeky Forums gold*~

Here's a gamedev related picture. FUN will bind you down and keep you from moving.

I love you. How the fuck has countless google searches not turned this up? I've sank hours into numerous models and aggravation trying to fix the fucking things.

very interesting though very unrefined
i know wip and all that shit but you need some particle finetuning before you declare them final, just saying

I hope you like thicc too.

It's supposed to be some kind of slime core, but a lot of people think its a coconut or something so i'm probably gonna nix it.

I'll see how the UI fares against other colors of background, like a more purple dungeon.

Seems like the consensus is that it's a little small, I'll try to bump the text size up and re-evaluate how much space I'll need for all of the crazy attack prompts.

At least furries are adult degenerates.
peed fuckers need to kill themselves

yeah blender is weird. lots of useful things are kinda hidden, sometimes in plain sight. I use 3ds max now and I like it more despite using blender for like 6 years lol

>vile reaction
There are much more "vile" and appropriate reactions to pedos than posts on the internet. Little leaf boy hiding in the pines where nobody gives a shit what he's doing is just going to have to learn to cope with the big mean internet

Dayumn, got an artblog?

>this guy again using words incorrectly to bypass the filter
Keep them coming, you're just completing my list.

Faggot.

GOT DAMN

i'm not so sure man, those animals furrrys want to rape are kind of even more innocent than children in some aspects

I think you meant "volatile" instead of "vile"
Either way, this guy is a shitbag.

remember when retards like rotatedev and gogem were siding with loli rape sim to try and earn street cred on agdg?
you don't see any "devs" doing that anymore. strange

Who forever /placeholder/ here?

What you have right now just seems to be resting on top of the slime shape. A core ought to be floating in the mass, right?

try adding ">>" to your filters. only get fresh OC

That was back when they were all still circle jerking eachother in IRC. Times have changed.

You may want to check your keyframes for the 'knee' pole targets during your walk cycle user.

right now they (the knees) clip right through each other.

Looking at old files for gamemaker always ends up being a good experience, albeit distracting from actually making something.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Throbot
Dev: Scarfdev
Tools: GM:S
Web: scarfdev.tumblr.com/
Holidays: candy cane
Progress:
+ starting to implement tiles i've been working on
+ working on enemy designs for nature area
-having trouble coming up with a not shitty way to handle paralax other than stretched and squashed tile layers
- redesigning the female companion AGAIN because people keep assuming she's either an older than intended or a boy
- deving has been slow this week i still haven't really stopped being sick
-sorry

i think he means maple story?

Where can I find this dev's blog? Digging the art. Lurked through the archives for an hour or so, couldn't find anything and reverse image searching didn't help

Internet too shit, can't load pages. Have his twitter.

twitter.com/Coxyworthy

Well, I know the characters come from an artist named "Inkerton-Kun". He has a Tumblr.

Yeah I kinda hate it. But it's free so whatever. Thought about torrenting 3dsmax, but on the off chance I ever do release something I don't want to have to mess around with renting it for a month or whatever obscure setup they want.

>forum.unity3d.com/threads/horrible-2d-performance-on-my-large-tilemap.235115/
>use the toolkit on the asset store
>make your own renderer
So wait a moment here.

Even though unity is trying to push his 2D kit, what it means is that if I'm trying to make a game that uses tiles, like any other 2D fucking game, I have to roll my own renderer???

What's the fucking point of using unity for 2D then?

I need ideas for Halloween related stuff. So far I've got
>pumpkins
>bats
>ghosts and skeletons and the like
>The colors orange, black, purple, and green

pay for the rights to this song
loop it for the entire game

>youtube.com/watch?v=XTgFtxHhCQ0

Might want to look into the occult a bit. Standard witchcraft and beyond, rituals, magick, demonic/angelic summoning.

Not quite yet, I'll be starting a devlog pretty soon now that I've got a solid amount of art down and a UI I'm happy with.

THICC BE A CORNERSTONE OF ME LIFE

I can probably fix it, but I think I'm just going to take it out of the base slime and do variants later like a Weapon Slime or something.

Apparently Unity doesn't do frustum culling in the editor. If they built to a device it should have a lot better performance. The fact no one mentioned frustum culling in the posts makes me want to disregard what they said.

If anyone is interested in checking out a post wall of every bokube level so far in development check this out;
patreon.com/ConceptionGames/posts

interested in feedback over the looks.

thumbnail still looks like a pair of kneeling legs and a futa horsecock

>patreon
subtle

That's just a mannequin the tutorial i was learning from had me make. I was just learning the how to's and didn't fix it up like he did.

Figure I'll use this guy as a guinea pig for setting up and learning unity. Thanks though, I hadn't noticed.

you dont even see devs anymore. WEIRD.

was planning on letting them final, but I'll note that for later too. thanks for the tip btw

patreon aside from twitter is now my development blog

kek, subtle

>right after a bokube post
fuck outta here

During the run cycle portion of that tutorial is moreso where Sebastion tweaks the knee and feet swinging out and around so that the run cycle looks good.

I feel like 70% of what I know how to do comes from all of his tutorials.

right here
but I 'aint upset or nuthen'
I decided years ago that art wasn't for me

Hi guys I'm making my first game in RPGMAKER! I'm going to get it in steam ? Can someone help? How do I start

Be good at art and get at least $100,000 on kickstarter with your good art and have someone else program it for you

this is the only correct answer

I see your point but the problem is not about frustum culling. The problem is that this answer, just like any other answers to that 2D tile issue, tells people to use a 3D rendering solution to make 2D game.

For example they're telling people to build the textures at runtime, this is counter-productive. Any 2D engine out there allows you to build your scene with a tile editor and you're good to go. You should be able to build your scene in the editor and in the worst case just apply the culling at the end.

This adds unnecessary work and I'm not even talking about the commonly tearing issue that people have with 2D tiling. And no, this last problem can be solved but is not perfect, even game with huge teams behind still have some lines appearing once in a while.

>have someone else program it for you
Might as well have someone do the art too. Any game dev who doesn't code is a bitch nigga.

>I'm making my first game in RPGMAKER
Ok. There's a general for RPG Maker games, but you're also welcome here. People will tell you every time you post that there's another general for you, though, which may be annoying.

>I'm going to get it in steam ?
Sure, if you finish. Steam isn't hard to get on any more... If you can pony up $100.

>Can someone help? How do I start
Fuck off retard. RPG Maker is easy. You start by making your goddamn game.

Oh I see, thanks.

>calm sensible advice
>calm sensible advice
>"Fuck off retard".
kekked a mighty kek

Visuals are pretty nostalgic for me on this one (probably because of the colors), but overall pretty cool like your other stages. Also, keep the backgrounds interesting so the game's visuals feels equilibrated.

Yeah I was skipping through that part since I had the base idea down. Gotta say his tutorials are some of the better ones I've seen though.

Fuck it's a lot of work getting a character to that point in blender though.

if it's the shitty kind of bait like "look how ridiculously bad this game is xD" then it won't really help you sell other games but like if it's a (relatively) good game like I Am Bread maybe you could release sequels and similar games

>look how ridiculously bad this game is xD
Nobody on youtube takes that kind of bait except Jim Sterling and even he has gotten tired of it. Thankfully.

youtube.com/watch?v=I4bmjrv0f5Q

not a lot of people know this but showers are magical places where you can find solutions to problems

this is between me and you, don't tell anybody about this

>showers are magical places where you can find solutions to problems
yeah okay hitler

For me it's while shitting or driving.

Hey fellas,
Are there any established keyboard layouts for 2D games these days? I've been using what I pulled out my ass for the longest time and it's not the best. The player is able to rebind, but I'd prefer if it didn't fucking suck by default.

My default controller setup works well enough - but I don't know what I'm doing with a keyboard layout.

pls help

What did you get banned for?

>same guy posts about shower revelations every day
you are now known as showerdev

>not WASD to move
utter trash

Well WSAD is kinda standard. I know I sure don't feel comfortable using the up/down/left/right keys for much of anything. Also probably too many years of movement being controlled by my left hand and not my right (gamepads).